Author Topic: Looky what I got in the mail today!  (Read 9353 times)

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
Re: Looky what I got in the mail today!
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2007, 07:18:43 am »
You don't think that the largest coporation in the WORLD could sell by word-of-mouth? You brownnose Microsoft way too much come come back and say something like that. :P

Someone has to have it first before word-of-mouth advertising works.
Nah.  I have a dodecacore processor at 1 million gigaherz, but I never talk about it.

The fastest processor ever made is IBM's 40GHz processor that runs at nearly absolute-zero temperatures.. IIRC.
You clearly missed the part where I was implying that unless someone TALKS about what they have, word-of-mouth doesn't get started (IE: it's not word-of-mouth just because you have it).

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2007, 11:39:39 am »
Nah.  I have a dodecacore processor at 1 million gigaherz, but I never talk about it.
A 1 petahertz processor?   :o
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline kalaka

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2007, 09:41:26 pm »
How else do you want them to sell their product? Perhaps we should pull all the advertisements off of billboards and TV and let products be sold by word of mouth? Then perhaps we should all install Linux on our computers and hold hands under the magical rainbow of Stallman and the FSF.

Thankfully then we would wake up from this nightmare.
Thats not what I said, I'm just saying they'll charge you for something eventually, I'm sure. Vista is a resource hog anyway, not worth the time or the effort (not to mention the money).

Offline MyndFyre

• x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2007, 10:14:39 pm »
How else do you want them to sell their product? Perhaps we should pull all the advertisements off of billboards and TV and let products be sold by word of mouth? Then perhaps we should all install Linux on our computers and hold hands under the magical rainbow of Stallman and the FSF.

Thats not what I said, I'm just saying they'll charge you for something eventually, I'm sure. Vista is a resource hog anyway, not worth the time or the effort (not to mention the money).

:o  Oh snap, I guess the apparent speed boost I've gotten on my notebook since upgrading in November have just been my imagination.

trust

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2007, 10:19:03 pm »
So I have a question. Before I go to college I plan on getting either a Mac or a tablet, I haven't decided yet - as I'm going to wait to see what the offerings are. If I get the Mac, of course it won't come with Vista so my question is: If I buy Vista now for my current laptop (which I may keep or may give to my sister) could I be able to downgrade back to XP (it came pre-installed) and then put Vista on my other laptop?

Offline Ergot

• 吴立峰 ^_^ !
  • x86
  • I steal bandwidth. p_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2007, 10:43:41 pm »
So I have a question. Before I go to college I plan on getting either a Mac or a tablet, I haven't decided yet - as I'm going to wait to see what the offerings are. If I get the Mac, of course it won't come with Vista so my question is: If I buy Vista now for my current laptop (which I may keep or may give to my sister) could I be able to downgrade back to XP (it came pre-installed) and then put Vista on my other laptop?
Your XP key would be invalidated.
Who gives a damn? I fuck sheep all the time.
And yes, male both ends.  There are a couple lesbians that need a two-ended dildo...My router just refuses to wear a strap-on.
(05:55:03) JoE ThE oDD: omfg good job i got a boner thinkin bout them chinese bitches
(17:54:15) Sidoh: I love cosmetology

trust

« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2007, 07:09:03 am »
Your XP key would be invalidated.

On my desktop I've installed XP on two different hdds with no problems. (One corrupted so I had to get a new one)

Offline kalaka

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2007, 06:05:08 pm »

:o  Oh snap, I guess the apparent speed boost I've gotten on my notebook since upgrading in November have just been my imagination.
Did you really get a speed boost? I have to say, I'm confused. I've seen Vista installed on some computers and never seen any speed boost, I guess maybe it was only the beta versions.

Offline MyndFyre

• x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2007, 08:08:06 pm »
Did you really get a speed boost? I have to say, I'm confused. I've seen Vista installed on some computers and never seen any speed boost, I guess maybe it was only the beta versions.
Yes, my tablet performs better with Vista installed.

So I have a question. Before I go to college I plan on getting either a Mac or a tablet, I haven't decided yet - as I'm going to wait to see what the offerings are.
The tablet functionality on Vista is PHENOMENAL.  Definitely get one of those.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2007, 08:17:46 pm »
What are the major differences, MyndFyre?  I ended up getting a tablet.  I'd guess it would run Vista decently and would be willing to give it a try if it's significantly better.

Offline MyndFyre

• x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2007, 09:17:01 pm »
What are the major differences, MyndFyre?  I ended up getting a tablet.  I'd guess it would run Vista decently and would be willing to give it a try if it's significantly better.

Voice recognition is built into the OS and is greatly improved over versions that came previously.

The handwriting input also provides a little bar on the side so you don't always have to hunt for the Tablet PC input panel on the bottom of the screen.

When using your tablet pen, the cursor changes to be just the point on the screen, and the cursors for clicks, right clicks, and double clicks are different too.  Not necessarily a major change but very nice to know when you hit accidental clicks.

Those are the only ones I can think of offhand.  I'm sure I already take some things for granted.  ;)

trust

« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2007, 09:22:47 pm »
I'm not sure if the college I'm going to allows laptops in the classroom, so the tablet PC may not actually be that beneficial for me. I'm considering just keeping my current laptop, maybe upgrading the RAM or something. It's Vista-compatible according to the little sticker, but I pretty much just use it for Word, internet, and dvd burning. The specs are 1.9 GHz Celeron M 440, 80gb hdd, 512mb ddr2 ram.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2007, 09:40:54 pm »
Although my University allowed laptops, I don't think it's a good idea to bring it in, from personal experience.  I found a laptop too distracting, I ended up doing worse in classes where I brought a laptop.  But like I said, it varies from person to person. 

Offline MyndFyre

• x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2007, 10:52:24 pm »
I'm not sure if the college I'm going to allows laptops in the classroom, so the tablet PC may not actually be that beneficial for me. I'm considering just keeping my current laptop, maybe upgrading the RAM or something. It's Vista-compatible according to the little sticker, but I pretty much just use it for Word, internet, and dvd burning. The specs are 1.9 GHz Celeron M 440, 80gb hdd, 512mb ddr2 ram.

I prefer to be able to take notes on a tablet.  When there's a diagram coming up, a mouse just doesn't cut it.

I doubt that your college doesn't allow laptops in the classroom.

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2007, 12:18:38 am »
The whole notetaking thing really makes me want to get a tablet, actually.

I know voice recognition doesn't, but does the handwriting reader recognize code and work properly with that? I can type faster than I write so it's not practical, but it'd still be neat. :)
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.