Author Topic: Looky what I got in the mail today!  (Read 9348 times)

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
Re: Looky what I got in the mail today!
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2007, 12:34:12 am »
The handwriting recognition is pretty good, but it's obviously far from perfect.  The only thing I've found it greatly useful for is its presence in MS OneNote.  It stores converted text transparently parallel to handwriting, so you can search your notes without having to convert them to text (which, in my experience, never works the way you want it to).  I use the tablet feature in math and physics, but I just type in economics.

MS OneNote is an incredibly useful note-taking application, by the way.  One of the coolest things I've found with it is the recording feature.  The onboard mic on my tablet is pretty good and picks up the lecturer if they're wearing a microphone or the room is small.  OneNote adds bookmarks in the recording as you write, allowing you to click on a button that appears when you mouseover a line to play whatever it was recording when you wrote it.  It's really easy to keep organized as well.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2007, 12:35:11 am »
Although my University allowed laptops, I don't think it's a good idea to bring it in, from personal experience.  I found a laptop too distracting, I ended up doing worse in classes where I brought a laptop.  But like I said, it varies from person to person. 
I think it varies from class to class as well.

Some classes I just write in my book...others I hand write...and even others I handwrite but wish I had it typed up (easier to search and reorganize)

trust

« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2007, 07:13:38 am »
I'm not sure if the college I'm going to allows laptops in the classroom, so the tablet PC may not actually be that beneficial for me. I'm considering just keeping my current laptop, maybe upgrading the RAM or something. It's Vista-compatible according to the little sticker, but I pretty much just use it for Word, internet, and dvd burning. The specs are 1.9 GHz Celeron M 440, 80gb hdd, 512mb ddr2 ram.

I prefer to be able to take notes on a tablet.  When there's a diagram coming up, a mouse just doesn't cut it.

I doubt that your college doesn't allow laptops in the classroom.

The classes are no more than 20 people and the classrooms are the same size as a highschool classroom, I'll have to check on the laptops though. iago has a point, it does seem like it could get distracting.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2007, 08:35:45 am »
On the plus side, I'm pretty good at Tetris now :)

This makes me think of "Eat up Martha", to make a Simpsons reference.