Author Topic: C&D Letter from Cox  (Read 8604 times)

trust

C&D Letter from Cox
« on: February 08, 2007, 05:20:55 pm »
this is probably the wrong place to ask.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2007, 05:43:59 pm by OG Trust »

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
Re: C&D Letter from Cox
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2007, 05:29:44 pm »
demonoid eh?............................hmm

Offline dark_drake

• Mufasa was 10x the lion Simba was.
  • x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2007, 05:36:13 pm »
Quote from: Jim Carrey as Fletcher
Stop breaking the law, asshole!
errr... something like that...

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2007, 05:37:17 pm »
Obvious. Hit the "Stop" button on your bittorrent client.
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2007, 05:46:28 pm »
From Slashdot:

Using BitTorrent?  Guilty of copyright infringement.

For my investigation, I wrote a very simple BitTorrent client. My client sent a request to the tracker, and generally acted like a normal Bittorrent client up to sharing files. The client refused to accept downloads of, or upload copyrighted content. It obeyed the law... With just this, completely legal, BitTorrent client, I was able to get notices from BayTSP. To put this in to perspective, if BayTSP were trying to bust me for doing drugs, it'd be like getting arrested because I was hanging out with some dealers, but they never saw me using, buying, or selling any drugs.
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2007, 05:48:17 pm »
i never leave my client open...only at nights when downloading....

trust, is yours always open?

trust

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2007, 06:00:49 pm »
i dont even recall it being on yesterday, which is the day listed.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2007, 06:11:31 pm »
there logs about that stuff?

check 'em.  if you're right & they're wrong you can challenge it

trust

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2007, 06:18:16 pm »
there logs about that stuff?

check 'em.  if you're right & they're wrong you can challenge it

I'm wondering if maybe I should just let them cancel the service, I think that's the only penalty. If I challenge it then it sends the challenge to the lawyer and they'll probably try to subpoena my address and stuff. I could just switch to Verizon or something.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2007, 06:19:55 pm »
remove it and show them that you removed it...then you're clear

trust

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2007, 06:28:49 pm »
remove it and show them that you removed it...then you're clear

I don't know if that's for certain.

In the event that you submit to Cox a counter-notification that includes these
elements, Cox will forward your counter notification to the complainant and
advise them that Cox will cease disabling access to the allegedly infringing
material in ten (10) business days.  Unless the complainant notifies us that it
has filed an action seeking a court order to restrain you from engaging in the
allegedly infringing activity prior to the expiration of those ten (10) business
days, Cox will reactivate your account.

Offline Rule

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2007, 09:17:39 pm »
What's with this "fight the system" attitude when it's totally unnecessary.  Yeah, switch providers.  No big deal.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2007, 09:26:50 pm »
If Cox wants to alienate their customers, let them. The more people who switch off Cox, the better. The only think corporations understand is $$$.

Incidentally, what happened to the original question? I would have liked to have seen what's being discussed :/

trust

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2007, 09:28:09 pm »
What's with this "fight the system" attitude when it's totally unnecessary.  Yeah, switch providers.  No big deal.

Well I'd have to go down to DSL since Cox is the only cable provider in the area. Anyway, I just deleted the file and emailed hbo and told them that. My mom will call Cox tomorrow and say the same.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2007, 09:35:10 pm »
If they really sent you a phony DMCA Takedown notice, then they could be charged with perjury, according to the law as I understand it. If you're confident in your position, you should pursue it from that direction.

trust

« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2007, 10:20:39 pm »
If they really sent you a phony DMCA Takedown notice, then they could be charged with perjury, according to the law as I understand it. If you're confident in your position, you should pursue it from that direction.

I don't understand. What position?

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2007, 10:22:31 pm »

I don't understand. What position?

I was referring to this:
i dont even recall it being on yesterday, which is the day listed.

That's all I really had to go on besides the DMCA letter, since your first post isn't there no more. I didn't really know why you posted this, I could only assume it's because you don't think you did anything, but I could be wrong.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2007, 10:24:50 pm by iago »

trust

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2007, 11:20:03 pm »
I was just looking for advice for anybody who had gone through this but then I thought maybe I'd be best not posting it and plus none of the posts at that point were helpful. MyndFyre's link was very helpful though and also TehUser helped me out some.

I don't intend to contest it, just to comply.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2007, 11:44:47 pm »
Well, people post DMCA Takedowns all the time. 

For the most part, the DMCA is a mis-guided, highly-abused law. I'm happy to see anybody who fights it, when they have a case.

Offline Ersan

• Hi! I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2007, 12:14:59 am »
Downloading copyrighted content is wrong, how is invoking a law that disallows it abusive?

In any case, force end-to-end encryption (and obfuscation) in uTorrent or Azureus and they'll be none the wiser, though you'll lose alot of peers.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2007, 08:54:43 am »
Downloading copyrighted content is wrong, how is invoking a law that disallows it abusive?
http://www.durangobill.com/Fight_DMCA_Abuse.html
http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/11/24/133226

It's constantly abused.

But like I said, he should only pursue it if he knows he's innocent, which he doesn't, so it's irrelevant.

trust

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2007, 05:53:16 pm »
I emailed HBO, which I wish I hadn't as before they didn't know anything about me but my ip and now they know my moms email. The Cox guy on the phone said I shouldn't have emailed them.

Anyway he said I'll be fine, just delete the file and then email abuse@cox.net which I did...and they said that as long as I delete it I'm good.

so unless HBO's lawyers decide to be bitches, I'm in the clear. I don't foresee myself touching a torrent for a reallllly long time.

Offline Hitmen

• B&
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2007, 07:22:35 pm »
Pfft, There's nothing wrong with torrents. Well, as long as you're like me, and only download torrents for obscure bands with no connection to the RIAA or anyone with enough money to be litigious anyways.
(22:15:39) Newby: it hurts to swallow

trust

« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2007, 09:12:40 pm »
Pfft, There's nothing wrong with torrents. Well, as long as you're like me, and only download torrents for obscure bands with no connection to the RIAA or anyone with enough money to be litigious anyways.

The Cox guy said that if it has been music, I'd probably be sued.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2007, 09:58:34 pm »
That's a good point. It's not only that, but people who aren't with big labels are often happy that people care enough to listen, I've found.

Probably a scare tactic, I'd say.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2007, 10:47:34 pm »

Because it would be a huge record label backing it, ready to sue your ass because the RIAA has yet to actually win a case. :P
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2007, 12:28:01 am »

Because it would be a huge record label backing it, ready to sue your ass because the RIAA has yet to actually win a case. :P

Of course they've won, they've got lots of settlements. That's basically the same thing, isn't it? 

I still say: o canada! 

Incidentally, in Canada every blank CD you buy has a levy on it, and the money from the levy ($0.10/disc or something) goes to the recording industry to pay for "damages" caused by downloading music. Apparently, it's because of that levy that they couldn't make a case out of Canadians downloading music, since we're technically paying the recording people. :)

Offline Super_X

• I suck.
  • I suck!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2007, 01:07:50 am »

Of course they've won, they've got lots of settlements. That's basically the same thing, isn't it? 

I still say: o canada! 

Incidentally, in Canada every blank CD you buy has a levy on it, and the money from the levy ($0.10/disc or something) goes to the recording industry to pay for "damages" caused by downloading music. Apparently, it's because of that levy that they couldn't make a case out of Canadians downloading music, since we're technically paying the recording people. :)
I know that they had done that with Cassete tapes back in the '90s when the RIAA got bent out of shape about people recording what it getting played on the radio.

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2007, 05:16:13 am »
I know that they had done that with Cassete tapes back in the '90s when the RIAA got bent out of shape about people recording what it getting played on the radio.

You can still do that. ReplayMusic + a pretty wacked out stereo-microphone port hookup (be sure to use a piece of crap you got at a garage sale for $2, the electricty from the mic port kills) and you're good.

Offline Super_X

• I suck.
  • I suck!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2007, 05:18:59 am »

You can still do that. ReplayMusic + a pretty wacked out stereo-microphone port hookup (be sure to use a piece of crap you got at a garage sale for $2, the electricty from the mic port kills) and you're good.
Or, you could just have your radio reciever running through your cassete player, and then press the "record" button.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2007, 10:53:54 am »

Or, you could just have your radio reciever running through your cassete player, and then press the "record" button.
...whats a cassette player?  :-\

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2007, 12:43:37 am »
Probably a typo.

But not only does that not apply to the idea of CD's using for piracy, but it also doesn't give you access to the songs in MP3 format.

Offline Super_X

• I suck.
  • I suck!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2007, 05:51:53 am »
Probably a typo.

But not only does that not apply to the idea of CD's using for piracy, but it also doesn't give you access to the songs in MP3 format.
Oh, I had thought you were giving me an alternative to an old technique, not commenting on the ways to do it now.

Any how, I think there should be a $0.10 tax per disk on blank CDs, that way the RIAA can eat shit.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2007, 11:13:39 am »
Probably a typo.

Oh, I had thought you were giving me an alternative to an old technique, not commenting on the ways to do it now.

Any how, I think there should be a $0.10 tax per disk on blank CDs, that way the RIAA can eat shit.
thats gay

also, I was trying to be sarcastic as in "whats a cassette, arent those the things from olden days?"

Offline Super_X

• I suck.
  • I suck!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2007, 01:22:35 pm »
Probably a typo.

thats gay

also, I was trying to be sarcastic as in "whats a cassette, arent those the things from olden days?"
Yeah, I had tried to reply to that post but x86 was being kind of sketchy and I didn't want to re-type it. My reply wasn't very unique.

Offline Screenor

• My own little world.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2007, 11:45:49 pm »
What exactly were you downloading that you'd get a C&D letter..?

Whatever it was, just enable protocol encryption on your client and you'll be fine.