Author Topic: The man behind the PC/Mac/Linux  (Read 8667 times)

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
Re: The man behind the PC/Mac/Linux
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2007, 11:56:47 am »
The UAC one is inaccurate on so many levels. But it was clever and I laughed.

Oh well, they'll still have 5% marketshare and they'll still claim they're "winning" something.
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline disco

• Comfortably Numb
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2007, 12:00:11 pm »

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2007, 02:03:41 pm »

Offline Chavo

• x86
  • no u
    • View Profile
    • Chavoland
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2007, 03:30:14 pm »
thats the whole point of the ad, they aren't trying to sell the product to businesses... they want to entice home and casual users

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2007, 04:17:42 pm »

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2007, 05:48:58 pm »
The thing that pisses me off is that these commercials are sort of taking advantage of people who simply don't have a clue of what's going on. Sure, it's their fault, but I wouldn't want it happening to me, and it's definately not moral to do so

As opposed to all other commercials, that don't do this.

People don't expose flaws in advertising? WHY THE FUCK NOT?!?!?!?
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2007, 06:37:28 pm »

I'm not quite sure who you're promoting with that. It sort of pains me to say this, but I'd hire the teenager though. Men who show up in business suits make shitty lifeguards.
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2007, 06:46:06 pm »
I'd have to interview them.
Agreed. Though typically, in the computer industry younger people are generally better. The old guy looks to stuffy/old fashioned, which is generally a bad thing. Younger, more energetic, and dynamic people are the way to go.

Also, if the old guy needs an operation every time he upgrades, he'd cost the healthplan a lot, too.

Offline Super_X

• I suck.
  • I suck!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2007, 07:43:14 pm »
I'd have to interview them.
Agreed. Though typically, in the computer industry younger people are generally better. The old guy looks to stuffy/old fashioned, which is generally a bad thing. Younger, more energetic, and dynamic people are the way to go.

Also, if the old guy needs an operation every time he upgrades, he'd cost the healthplan a lot, too.
Right, so the best way to solve that is kill them and get a new employee each time.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2007, 07:45:48 pm »
Right, so the best way to solve that is kill them and get a new employee each time.
Well, that depends what's cheaper: training a new employee or paying for an operation for the old one.

If you're starting with nobody, you obviously need to train, but once you already have an employee, you have to balance training with operation.

Offline Super_X

• I suck.
  • I suck!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2007, 02:15:53 am »
Well, that depends what's cheaper: training a new employee or paying for an operation for the old one.

If you're starting with nobody, you obviously need to train, but once you already have an employee, you have to balance training with operation.
Alright, now that we have that down, lets go back to the fiscal area of computers. Is it more expencive to have an upgrade every couple of years, or a new computer every four, or five years? (I am not actually sure which would cost more, I have a feeling it'd be more expencive to be a new computer, but that's my uneducated guess.)

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2007, 04:01:34 am »
That obviously depends on a lot of things.  What kind of upgrades would you plan on adding?  How much does a desirable (in your opinion) new computer cost?

Offline Super_X

• I suck.
  • I suck!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2007, 04:16:25 am »
That obviously depends on a lot of things.  What kind of upgrades would you plan on adding?  How much does a desirable (in your opinion) new computer cost?
I know it's quite dependant, but I was thinking: "I would already have most of the stuff, I'd just need to buy a few new things like RAM, video card, and (according to that lame commercial) a new proccessor. Assuming that all fits on your motherboard, that's less than an equivilant new computer, yeah?"
So, that's just what I was basing my oppinion on.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2007, 09:08:34 am »
I don't know about you guys, but I was talking about a person!

Of course, if you want to run Vista, all you really need, according to Dell, is 512mb:

The only problem is, all you can do is boot your computer, maybe change the wallpaper, and wait for it to catch on fire. Since when was " Booting the Operating System, without running applications or games" a big feature? 

(screenshot is real, I took it: http://www.dell.com/content/topics/global.aspx/solutions/en/winvista?c=us&l=en&s=gen&redirect=1)