Author Topic: High School Dropout  (Read 9536 times)

Offline dark_drake

• Mufasa was 10x the lion Simba was.
  • x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
Re: High School Dropout
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2007, 11:32:30 pm »
He didn't say (or imply) that he knew you were still getting a diploma.  You weren't at all clear this this is the case, nor did you give any reason to suspect that you'd still be getting a diploma.  You said you (are?) going to drop out of high school.  That usually means you're going to try something else.  You said you were taking courses online.  To me, that seems to be some sort of shady alternative that will award you with something like a GED, not a high school diploma.
Actually, I figured he would end up with a diploma because my sister was doing something similiar for a while (oddly, enough, for people problems, too).  That changed rather quickly once my dad heard she dropped out of school. 

However, like Sidoh and I have said, it may not be in your best interest to drop out of high school.  The material may be similiar or even the same, but the experience just isn't.  Throughout your life, you will have to deal with people, and high school is where you need to learn how to do it. It's impossible to live in your own world, so knowing how to handle problems that deal with people is something everybody needs.

errr... something like that...

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2007, 12:34:48 am »
if you want to do law school, do ap us history
if you want to do computer stuff, take ap calc

Offline Towelie

• pwnstar
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2007, 02:01:52 am »
Ok, serious post now.

Joe. What the fuck are you doing? This decision will effect your WHOLE LIFE. Go to another fucking high school if you have problems with that particular one. If you have issues with all the schools in your area, MOVE somewhere else instead of dropping out. You will RUIN your life by doing this. Don't do this. Do NOT drop out. This is NOT a good choice. Do NOT do it. Do I need to repeat myself? Endure this for a few more years and get over it.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2007, 02:14:38 am »
Because compared to Spanish, Latin and Ancient Greek are pretty much useless. If he decides to go into law he could even take an entry level course in college. I'm not saying he shouldn't take other classes, as I plan on taking some Roman history classes (something I don't need, but am interested in) and think it makes somebody well rounded. There's a difference between doing that and planning classes with no foresight, however.

Foresight is a shady term.  How do you know Latin will be useless?  Just because people don't walk around the streets speaking Latin doesn't mean that it's a waste of time.  I think that you (he, anyone) should absolutely take a few classes that they aren't initially interested in.  That's the whole idea of "getting out of your comfort zone."

For the record, I'm still getting my HSED.

To Newby, my school is so broke they offer TWO AP classes now -- US History and Calc, neither of which I care about right now.

1 credit: ENG 310 -- American Literature
1 credit: ENG 410 -- British Literature

Those build off of one another, why are you taking them concurrently?

I won't. I'll take them in order. There's no "semesters", though. The class finishes when you've done all the work and passed the tests. I could do "three semesters" of English in one year, piece of cake.

Now, let me tell you guys something: Nothing you guys say here is going to stop me from doing this. I was just asking what you guys thought I should take for classes.

EDIT -
Trust, I was thinking about dropping Latin, but I have a reason to learn Ancient Greek.

I'm glad you said you're not interested in Calculus "right now."  If you really want to go into Computer Science, you're going to be taking a good amount of math courses beyond it as well as several other courses that are math-related.  Computer Science is a mathematical subject; it doesn't matter how you want to look at it.  Math is intrinsically involved.

Even if you do, Joe, don't think that this decision is transparent.  The Universities and workplace that you apply to (which, by the way, will have an equal or greater amount of bureaucracy) will see that you graduated from an "online high school."  You may earn a "real" diploma, but not from what most people will consider a "real" school.  I, among everyone else who's posted here, strongly recommend you stay in a real high school.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2007, 02:45:58 am »
To Newby, my school is so broke they offer TWO AP classes now -- US History and Calc, neither of which I care about right now.

You can still sign up for and take the AP tests for other subjects.

And if you have no interest in them, it is in your best interest to do them in high school so you don't have to repeat them in college.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2007, 06:46:15 am »

You can still sign up for and take the AP tests for other subjects.

And if you have no interest in them, it is in your best interest to do them in high school so you don't have to repeat them in college.
Yeah, that was a mistake I made.  I should have taken the AP calc and history tests, but I didn't, so now I have to retake calc and history...*grumble*

trust

« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2007, 08:19:03 am »
 You can take other AP classes online and stay in a real highschool if the lack of courses is what bothers you. I know a girl who is taking AP Psychology online since my school only offers regular Psychology and IB Psychology.

Offline Joe

• B&
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2007, 02:36:59 pm »
Go to another fucking high school if you have problems with that particular one.

Oh my God, did you SERIOUSLY not read the first post? Or did you just not comprehend it? I AM going to another high school.
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2007, 03:20:26 pm »
I don't consider an online school a suitable imitation of high school.

Offline Towelie

• pwnstar
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2007, 03:52:05 pm »
Go to another fucking high school if you have problems with that particular one.

Oh my God, did you SERIOUSLY not read the first post? Or did you just not comprehend it? I AM going to another high school.
An ONLINE school is NOT a high school.

Offline Joe

• B&
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2007, 06:26:14 pm »
You'll live.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2007, 06:30:51 pm »
You'll live.

If you don't want opinions on something, Joe, then don't ask for them.

Offline Joe

• B&
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2007, 10:09:21 pm »
You'll live.

If you don't want opinions on something, Joe, then don't ask for them.

I didn't. I asked what classes I should take.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2007, 11:06:00 pm »
You may not have explicitly asked for an opinion on your choice, but you sure as hell should have expected a ton of them.