Author Topic: An American Haunting  (Read 2844 times)

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
An American Haunting
« on: February 19, 2007, 08:05:11 pm »
Another crappy movie. A witch puts a curse on the house, and weird stuff happens. The daughter gets thrown around the room. And again. And again. And again. Something happens, the end.

Again, it started out good and promising. I'm starting to wonder if they've gotten really bad at making good movies lately. I don't watch many recent movies, but if these last couple are typical, it's upsetting.

trust

Re: An American Haunting
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2007, 08:43:52 pm »
yeah I thought this one was a waste of money when I saw it, despite the previews looking promising.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2007, 10:00:17 pm »
I was reading about it, and apparently it's based on a true story. THAT'S the problem! Real life is pretty boring.

Offline Super_X

• I suck.
  • I suck!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2007, 10:09:54 pm »
I was reading about it, and apparently it's based on a true story. THAT'S the problem! Real life is pretty boring.
Usually "based on a true story" in ghost stories means "The names we used in this movie actually exist."

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2007, 10:39:30 pm »
Usually "based on a true story" in ghost stories means "The names we used in this movie actually exist."

I don't know so much about others, but this is actually based on a case of an actual haunting.

Here's the "official" website: http://www.bellwitch.org/home.htm

Offline Quik

• Webmaster Guy
  • x86
  • \x51 \x75 \x69 \x6B \x5B \x78 \x38 \x36 \x5D
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2007, 06:06:26 am »

I don't know so much about others, but this is actually based on a case of an actual haunting.

Here's the "official" website: http://www.bellwitch.org/home.htm

He's pretty much right. The director of the Texas Chainsaw Massecre, which was famous for being "based on a true story", basically said that the movie was truely based on a real dream he once had. That's marketing for you, eh?
[20:21:13] xar: i was just thinking about the time iago came over here and we made this huge bomb and light up the sky for 6 min
[20:21:15] xar: that was funny

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2007, 08:58:21 am »
He's pretty much right. The director of the Texas Chainsaw Massecre, which was famous for being "based on a true story", basically said that the movie was truely based on a real dream he once had. That's marketing for you, eh?
I don't disagree that that's a common thing. But I was just saying in this instance, it's based on a documented case , for what that's worth. I started reading about it when the movie started boring me.

I don't know why you'd ever advertise "based on a true story" though -- real life is boring, I'd be less inclined to see true cases.

Now basing stuff on dreams, that's where it's at. Lovecraft is the greatest horror writer of all time (in my humble opinion), and most of what he wrote was based on his dreams.