Author Topic: Today is "International women's day"  (Read 9234 times)

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
Today is "International women's day"
« on: March 08, 2007, 06:11:24 pm »
...so go out there and tell a woman to "get back in the kitchen 'til dinner is ready!"

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
Re: Today is "International women's day"
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2007, 06:21:18 pm »
See, even though I'm aware that that's meant to be funny, it's still extremely sexist. At some point we (as a race) have to mature past sexist/racist jokes.

Just saying...

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2007, 06:23:48 pm »
See, even though I'm aware that that's meant to be funny, it's still extremely sexist. At some point we (as a race) have to mature past sexist/racist jokes.

Just saying...
but we also have to tolerate ;)

(thats something my "uber liberal" [self proclaimed] friend cant understand about toleration, it works both ways)

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2007, 06:25:25 pm »
Some things shouldn't be tolerated. Racism and sexism, for example, should not be tolerated, since their destructive to society and people. It's the same reason (though less severe, obviously) that murder isn't tolerated.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2007, 06:33:48 pm »
Some things shouldn't be tolerated. Racism and sexism, for example, should not be tolerated, since their destructive to society and people. It's the same reason (though less severe, obviously) that murder isn't tolerated.
Same could be argued about homosexuality, even to a lesser extent than racism I believe, though.

I believe tolerance should mean tolerating ALL things, that do not actually harm people.

Offline cheeseisfun

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2007, 06:35:49 pm »
Even though most women are extremely picky and materialistic.  ::)

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2007, 06:36:38 pm »
Even though most women are extremely picky and materialistic.  ::)
agreed to an extent, but so am I.  Also, ... what?

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2007, 07:45:04 pm »

Really?  How do you define racism and sexism?  Are they having preconceived notions about a particular group based on race or sex, respectively (prejudice), or making decisions and taking action based on those preconceived notions (discrimination)?

Humor about discrimination is typically very funny.  Why do you think Chris Rock is such a great comedian, or Carlos Mencia?  Because they emphasize racial differences and make jokes about them.

I honestly can't believe you're comparing a joke that has undertones based in sexist prejudice to murder which is the unconsented deprivation of life.
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline Furious

• I hate rabbits
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2007, 08:00:03 pm »

Yeah, it's racist to have a black history month and not a white history month!  Reparations shouldn't be tolerated and neither should this <sarcasm>extremely racist</sarcasm> "joke"!
[23:04:34] <deadly7[x86]> Newby[x86]
[23:04:35] <deadly7[x86]> YOU ARE AN EMO
[23:04:39] <Newby[x86]> shush it woman

[17:53:31] InsaneJoey[e2] was banned by x86 (GO EAT A BAG OF FUCK ASSHOLE (randomban)).

Quote from: Ergot
Put it this way Joe... you're on my Buddy List... if there's no one else on an you're the only one, I'd rather talk to myself.

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2007, 08:12:04 pm »
Haha crap. I didn't even know this. I told atleast five girls to make me a sandwhich today.
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2007, 08:22:45 pm »
This paragraph is rather off topic, but it's something I've been thinking seriously about lately. Think about it this way: if you come out and say that black people suck, people will generally be upset with you. Black people have had a long and hard fight to get this far, and while there's still a lot of discrimination against them, at least it's not cool anymore. On the other hand, if you say that you hate Muslim people, it is likely that people will support you and won't say anything. Because right now, being racist against the Muslim people is rather acceptable. If you frequently refer to women as "bitches" and hang out at strip clubs, the vast majority of people find that perfectly acceptable. The point of this paragraph is: most of us see and hear about racism and sexism on a daily basis, and even practice is, but it tends to be overlooked. This "tolerant" society we say we're in isn't as great as it's cracked up to be.

Here's a good story about sexism in the modern world, and how it can be extremely harmful to women. It's a long story, but to summarize it: a forum for law students started talking about certain girls, which eventually led to harassment (online and at school) of her and many others, in a way that will likely affect her career and the rest of her life. It's a really good read, and looking at it from the guys' perspective, I can see behaviour like that all the time.

My point is, yes, it's a harmless joke. But making jokes is a way of becoming comfortable with something that you ought to know is wrong. Prejudice often leads to discrimination, which is something that is rampant.

I honestly can't believe you're comparing a joke that has undertones based in sexist prejudice to murder which is the unconsented deprivation of life.
Perhaps you missed the part where I said that they're both destructive, but murder is "less severe, obviously"? You're missing the point of that statement, which is that some things shouldn't be tolerated (in response to Crazed saying (or implying) that everything should be tolerated). I'm not saying that they're the same thing, which is how you seem to have taken the statement -- rather, I was using murder as an example of something that shouldn't be tolerated, nothing more.

Offline Armin

• Honorary Leader
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2007, 08:39:43 pm »
A little off-topic as well:

There's still many niggers out there, which are different in my eyes than black people. I'm sure all of you who live in urban areas can agree.
Hitmen: art is gay

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2007, 10:39:46 pm »
A little off-topic as well:

There's still many niggers out there, which are different in my eyes than black people. I'm sure all of you who live in urban areas can agree.
Yeah.  I'm fine with black people that actually care about their lives and don't end up getting suspended every day or just skip school and waste taxpayer dollars.  I constitute a nigger as someone that doesn't care enough about their future to change it, but is willing to constantly bitch about how the white man is bringing him down.  Sure, I'm not black, but it's not much different being a different ethnicity and seeing how much bullshit it is to play the race card for everything.  I haven't gone through as much of life as I've experienced expecting everything to be handed to me on a silver platter, and I only play the race card as a joke (for example, one day my teacher randomly said to the kids sitting in the front row "And now you're all going to be tortured" or something to that extent and I replied "It's because I'm brown, isn't it?").
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2007, 01:32:21 am »
Haha crap. I didn't even know this. I told atleast five girls to make me a sandwhich today.
*highfive*

This paragraph is rather off topic, but it's something I've been thinking seriously about lately. Think about it this way: if you come out and say that black people suck, people will generally be upset with you. Black people have had a long and hard fight to get this far, and while there's still a lot of discrimination against them, at least it's not cool anymore. On the other hand, if you say that you hate Muslim people, it is likely that people will support you and won't say anything. Because right now, being racist against the Muslim people is rather acceptable. If you frequently refer to women as "bitches" and hang out at strip clubs, the vast majority of people find that perfectly acceptable. The point of this paragraph is: most of us see and hear about racism and sexism on a daily basis, and even practice is, but it tends to be overlooked. This "tolerant" society we say we're in isn't as great as it's cracked up to be.

Here's a good story about sexism in the modern world, and how it can be extremely harmful to women. It's a long story, but to summarize it: a forum for law students started talking about certain girls, which eventually led to harassment (online and at school) of her and many others, in a way that will likely affect her career and the rest of her life. It's a really good read, and looking at it from the guys' perspective, I can see behaviour like that all the time.

My point is, yes, it's a harmless joke. But making jokes is a way of becoming comfortable with something that you ought to know is wrong. Prejudice often leads to discrimination, which is something that is rampant.
...I dont see how their obvious harassment is comparable to a joke....AT ALL.
"get in the kitchen" vs. posting pictures & harassing a specific person constantly in public is harmful.

trust

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2007, 07:17:55 am »

Just saying...

It's not sexist because most women agree it's their job to cook dinner.

We actually just finished talking about gender roles in psychology, and there's this one girl who believes that men shouldn't have to do anything but cut the grass/fix things and go to work. Too bad she isn't cuter. :P