Author Topic: Today is "International women's day"  (Read 9218 times)

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
Re: Today is "International women's day"
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2007, 09:10:33 am »
See, even though I'm aware that that's meant to be funny, it's still extremely sexist. At some point we (as a race) have to mature past sexist/racist jokes.

Just saying...

It's not sexist because most women agree it's their job to cook dinner.

We actually just finished talking about gender roles in psychology, and there's this one girl who believes that men shouldn't have to do anything but cut the grass/fix things and go to work. Too bad she isn't cuter. :P

...ask if she has a sister

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2007, 10:41:38 am »
It's not sexist because most women agree it's their job to cook dinner.
Sexism is typically defined as discrimination based on gender.  Whether the target gender agrees or not is irrelevant.  It's sexism.

What I disagree with iago about is whether such discrimination is truly harmful.
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline Towelie

• pwnstar
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2007, 03:57:06 pm »
Is me saying that women are slower than men in swim sexist? What if it is the truth!?
I am not racist against black people... just against the idiotic ones... which applies to every race. So I am technically an IQist :P

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2007, 04:19:09 pm »
Is me saying that women are slower than men in swim sexist? What if it is the truth!?
I am not racist against black people... just against the idiotic ones... which applies to every race. So I am technically an IQist :P

No one is saying that certain characteristics in groups of people are, on average, present.  Automatically adopting a negative opinion of someone because of their presence in that group is silly, though.  I'm really sure that there are women that can swim faster than you, for example.

Offline Towelie

• pwnstar
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2007, 05:16:26 pm »

No one is saying that certain characteristics in groups of people are, on average, present.  Automatically adopting a negative opinion of someone because of their presence in that group is silly, though.  I'm really sure that there are women that can swim faster than you, for example.
No shit, I know some :P. But who is faster? the fastest man or woman?

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2007, 07:05:47 pm »
Is me saying that women are slower than men in swim sexist?

Sexism is typically defined as discrimination based on gender.

define [...] sexism [...] having preconceived notions about a particular group based on sex, [and] making decisions and taking action based on those preconceived notions (discrimination)?

No, it's not sexist.  Choosing a male swimmer simply because he is male, and not based on objective evaluations of their speed, is.
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline ZeroX

• Pirating Your software since 1998
    • View Profile
    • Crap
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2007, 02:00:44 pm »

Its becuase of their boobs. I mean boys are more aerodynamic then women becuase we have a straight lace body which makes us to swim through the water with relevant ease while girls with the bigger breast have that slowing them down with the force of the water pushing them.
Zeroforce
Zeroforce
Zeroforce

mutsumibear: David's coming over Sunday so we can have mad sex all day.
zxdropoff: lucky you
mutsumibear: :D I know.
mutsumibear: I just pray I don't start my period before then.
zxdropoff: omfg
zxdropoff: stfu
zxdropoff: now please
mutsumibear: HAHA
mutsumibear: I love disturbing you.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2007, 08:01:11 pm »
No shit, I know some :P. But who is faster? the fastest man or woman?

Why should that matter for this topic?

Its becuase of their boobs. I mean boys are more aerodynamic then women becuase we have a straight lace body which makes us to swim through the water with relevant ease while girls with the bigger breast have that slowing them down with the force of the water pushing them.

Please, tell me you're kidding.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2007, 08:48:32 pm »

What he said sounded strangely sensible.. but maybe I'm crazy. But it seems true!

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2007, 08:49:43 pm »

What he said sounded strangely sensible.. but maybe I'm crazy. But it seems true!
Word my canadian homie

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2007, 12:47:45 am »

Sure, it makes sense, but males have more muscle by nature.  Plus, I don't think the average breast size would cause any real problem.

On average, men are more competitive in sports (running, basketball, football, etc).

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2007, 01:02:24 am »
Women are faster swimmers than men because they don't have testicles that freeze and turn blue when they hop in the pool.

But seriously, external anatomy has nothing to do with it. For example ZeroX, what about a girl who has very small or no boobs?

It's all to do with muscle, and the stroke you're using (some are easier than others). I'll bet you that there are at least 10 female coworkers of mine who could beat my sorry ass in a swimming race (or running for that matter, but irrelevant) any day.
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2007, 02:21:00 am »
Women are faster swimmers than men because they don't have testicles that freeze and turn blue when they hop in the pool.

But seriously, external anatomy has nothing to do with it. For example ZeroX, what about a girl who has very small or no boobs?

It's all to do with muscle, and the stroke you're using (some are easier than others). I'll bet you that there are at least 10 female coworkers of mine who could beat my sorry ass in a swimming race (or running for that matter, but irrelevant) any day.

On average, I think women's breasts are large enough to make a noticeable (not enough to argue that it's the main reason that women are slower at swimming, though) impact on their times.  If you were to strap a pair of fake breasts to a guy swimming, I don't think that there is much doubt that his time would decrease.

You seem to have missed that we're not speaking of individual cases.  For each of those ten female coworkers, I would wager that there are ten faster male swimmers that are slower than ten other female swimmers.  A case of ten doesn't prove (or even suggest to any reliable degree of accuracy) which gender is faster...

Offline cheeseisfun

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2007, 05:50:01 pm »

Sure, it makes sense, but males have more muscle by nature.  Plus, I don't think the average breast size would cause any real problem.

On average, men are more competitive in sports (running, basketball, football, etc).

Muscle can help a man (or woman) propel themselves through the water with more force. If breasts don't cause at least small problems, then that would seem kind of strange considering the fact that small body hairs do, since swimmers shave themselves. I'm pretty sure that breasts can help slow down a woman in the water. When a woman is swimming in the water, her breasts will be down more, thus causing at least a small bit of drag. Like I said, muscle is not always bad in swimming unless the person has very bulky muscles. But toned muscles will only help (by lifting weights at lower weight and with a higher amount of reps in each set, muscles don't get bulky, but become toned and strong), as they allow more force in each stroke... the force mixed with less drag on the body will allow one to move much faster through water.

Joe, what you said about testicles seems pretty stupid to me. Your testicles only turn blue if you are in water that is cold enough to cause hypothermia... otherwise your balls just shrink temporarily. And if your balls shrink, then obviously that's better. Plus, balls are much smaller than tits (ok, maybe not always!). Your balls, while swimming, are going to be in line with the rest of your body, and won't produce drag. Your dick, if you are erect, will cause drag. Maybe men are slower when they are being beaten by a female in a race, because they are busy looking at the woman in front of him, and he gets a boner and the erect penis causes drag. I'd say that is a good Joe[x86]-like theory.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2007, 05:57:13 pm by cheeseisfun »

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2007, 08:28:20 pm »
I'm not sure what you're getting at, con.  I never said anything that disagreed with what you said. :S