Author Topic: "Random Ramblings, Episode 1"  (Read 4869 times)

Offline Joe

• B&
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
"Random Ramblings, Episode 1"
« on: March 15, 2007, 08:17:12 pm »
This was written as a myspace blog (poke), but I wanted to give the rest of you the opportunity to read it as well. Without further ado:

So, I've recently decided that I'll post myspace blogs about random things. Only read these if you're willing to try hard to understand things, and make several attempts. I'm kind of looking forward to starting some conversation with these, but if not, I don't care. Basically I just need to say some stuff and I don't care if anyone listens or not. :)

First, disrespect sucks, both when it's coming from you and you're receiving it. I think that if you don't like someone that's perfectly fine. You don't need to show them any respect, but you don't need to show disrespect either. Avoid the person you have the problem with -- don't become an antagonist, and avoid becomming the protagonist. If they try to start something with you, be the bigger person and respond nicely if you're forced to communicate with them (school, work) or simply ignore them and walk away. It makes you feel a lot better when you look back and realize you didn't let them get the better of you, and it makes you a better person for being nice.

Second, seeing old friends again is really awesome. A friend of mine, Travis, who is going to UW-Green Bay this year is on spring break this week and back at his parent's house and so far we've hung out twice. We've had a lot of catching up to do, and I've had several things to tell / show him. It's amazing how fast time passes.. since he left at the beginning of this school year, I've gotten a car, learned to drive, almost gotten my license, got a drum set, started playing drums (apparently I'm better than I give myself credit for, according to him), lost weight (lol), got some muscle mass, and have a slightly different outlook on life. It's been great "getting to know him" again. I'll be sad when he leaves for college again next week, of course, but the week is only half over and it's been so great that I can't wait for him to come back next time!

On a similar note, it's amazing how fast time goes by -- so fast that it's almost impossible to comprehend eternity. If you were at our church the night we did the drama "A Journey Through Hell", you've heard the anaolgy of a bird picking up every grain of sand on every beach in the world, flying it to Pluto, and then dropping it and coming back for another, until the whole world is sandless, and eternity has only begun. Like I've said, in a few short months I've changed more than I know. I can still remember the 90's, when I was a little kid. I remember when my parent's were my superheros because they could drive a huge car, or that airplanes were amazing because they weighted so much but could still fly -- they clearly had superpowers. Now, my parent's have stepped down to your average Joe and Jane, because even I can drive, and airplanes are only an implemtnation of Bernoulli's principle, clearly physics.

The past 16 years, all the way back to 1990 seem like a blur now, like everything I've acomplished in my past, I could do again in a month and still have time to see a movie with some friends at the end. But, on the complete contrast, you need to look to the future, too. I'm a sophomore in now, so two years from now I'll be getting my cap and gown for graduation and completing my final credits in high school. Relative to the rest of my life, what is two years? I could fit that into my past eight times with room to spare now. Even looking to the summer seems far off, and it's only two months! What am I going to do with my summer? Do I want to go on a road trip? Should I work full-time and get a nice savings? I'll have my license.. maybe I should visit my friends in Canada!

So, do you remember when I was talking about playing drums? How many of you have ever wanted to punch someone (that even ties in with the disrespect comment)? Whenever I want to punch someone, usually my little brother, I pick up two unfortunate little sticks of wood and plastic and beat them against thin sheets of plastic screwed to a wooden shell until whatever life they could have possibly had before I began is completely gone. By the time I'm done with that, though, I've usually gotten over my anger and started playing something that kind of sounds cool, and I end up being happy. Of course, not everyone likes playing drums, but if you like loud noise (and so do your parents) you should definately invest in a drumset! You can find them for pretty decent prices, sometimes as low as $200. If you're ever bored, it gives you something to do, too!

So, several subjects of unimportance and 19 and a half minutes later, I present to you, my life (abridged).

I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline dark_drake

• Mufasa was 10x the lion Simba was.
  • x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
Re: "Random Ramblings, Episode 1"
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2007, 11:58:25 pm »
I'm a sophomore in now, so two years from now I'll be getting my cap and gown for graduation and completing my final credits in high school.
How will this cap and gown thing work with you in an online high school?
errr... something like that...

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2007, 12:17:39 am »
$200 set = crap (if its new & not stolen)

Offline Joe

• B&
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2007, 08:41:52 am »
I'm a sophomore in now, so two years from now I'll be getting my cap and gown for graduation and completing my final credits in high school.

How will this cap and gown thing work with you in an online high school?

I think I end up walking at Grantsburg High School. I'm not sure. www.insightwi.org

$200 set = crap (if its new & not stolen)

That's such a blunt generalization it doesn't even diserve a reply, but out of pity I'll say that you can get decent beginner's sets for $200 and up. I paid $199.99 (free S&H) for mine. I've got several dents in my toms and I snapped the original pair of sticks, but after the abuse I put it through, what do you expect? Also, the drums sounded sort of bad but I took a strip of pillow-case fabric and put them underneath each head, streched from side to side, to dampen it and it sounds much better now -- comparable to the Mapex set at the church (according to pastor, it ran about $800). Out of the box it was a piece of crap, but drumming isn't something you do -- it's a hobby.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2007, 09:17:54 am »
There are some people that actually drum, though, and they would laugh at the quality of a new $200 set.

Offline Joe

• B&
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2007, 09:33:55 pm »
One of the best un-professional drummers I know, my friend Travis, checked it out and did anything but laugh at it's quality.

Lars Ulrich, on the other hand, would roundhouse kick me for calling it a drum set though.

Offline cheeseisfun

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2007, 06:13:37 pm »
One of the best un-professional drummers I know, my friend Travis, checked it out and did anything but laugh at it's quality.

Lars Ulrich, on the other hand, would roundhouse kick me for calling it a drum set though.

Lars drums on trash cans. Har Har Har.

Offline Joe

• B&
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2007, 12:56:29 am »
First, how do you think that's funny?

Second, that's just plain incorrect. I've seen videos of him playing (mostly the drummer-angle videos from S&M) and those are definately not trash cans. In fact, none of them are metal. He makes metal, not hits it. :P

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2007, 01:55:36 am »
isnt S&KM like bondage or something?

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2007, 12:38:42 pm »
isnt S&KM like bondage or something?
S&M (where'd the K come from?) often stands for Sadism and Masochism (Sado-Masochism), which, yes, is bondage and the like.

S&M in this context stands for San Fransisco Symphony and Metallica. It's probably their most famous live album.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2007, 03:04:10 pm »
The K was probably just horrid typing skills after power houring

hmm, bondage, softcore bondage would be fun, I should call a girl I know ;)

Offline cheeseisfun

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2007, 05:24:47 pm »
First, how do you think that's funny?

Second, that's just plain incorrect. I've seen videos of him playing (mostly the drummer-angle videos from S&M) and those are definately not trash cans. In fact, none of them are metal. He makes metal, not hits it. :P

It's a joke, kid. If you listen to the St. Anger album you will notice that in some of the songs his drums sound like shit, almost like they are trashcans. And it is funny.

Offline Joe

• B&
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2007, 10:42:26 pm »
It's a joke, kid. If you listen to the St. Anger album you will notice that in some of the songs his drums sound like shit, almost like they are trashcans. And it is funny.

Yeah -- because St. Anger was meant to sound like it was a straight recording and didn't spend much time in production. And thus, it didn't spend much time in production. Now, you should go listen to Kill 'Em All and Ride The Lightning, when they were just starting out. They don't sound like trash cans.

And yeah, what iago said, San Francisco Symphony and Metallica.