Author Topic: Keyboard help.  (Read 5472 times)

Offline BigAznDaddy

• View Profile
Keyboard help.
« on: April 14, 2007, 07:58:16 pm »
Ok here is the problem i have microsoft's multi media keyboard and it doesn't seem to work.
it has a Ps2 connector so i bought a  Ps2 to usb adapter and when i plug it in windows says it does not recognize the keyboard..  help please.
heres my keyboard i want to use

adapter: cost $2 :)

Error message:

Help please.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
Re: Keyboard help.
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2007, 09:10:43 pm »
I have both! :D
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline BigAznDaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2007, 10:06:25 pm »
I have both! :D
sigh.... i think i figured out the problem... i have the green one which goes to the mouse.. i need the purple one.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2007, 12:39:25 am »
sigh.... i think i figured out the problem... i have the green one which goes to the mouse.. i need the purple one.

They're the same thing.  Keyboards and mice of that style use the same bus (PS/2) and both converters change it into USB.

What's the "HID Keyboard Device" shown on your list?

Offline BigAznDaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2007, 12:47:58 am »

They're the same thing.  Keyboards and mice of that style use the same bus (PS/2) and both converters change it into USB.

What's the "HID Keyboard Device" shown on your list?
my other keyboard i have in so i can type. but i thought the purple and the green were the same. so any suggestions.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2007, 01:44:45 am »
my other keyboard i have in so i can type. but i thought the purple and the green were the same. so any suggestions.

Wait, what?  You just suggested that you thought they were different. :P

Um, I guess the first things I'd recommend you trying (if you haven't already) is trying different USB ports.  If that doesn't work and you're sure the keyboard works, then it's almost certainly the adapter.

Offline dark_drake

• Mufasa was 10x the lion Simba was.
  • x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2007, 03:41:31 am »
Have you tried unplugging your other keyboard and restarted the computer with the keyboard and adapter plugged in?
errr... something like that...

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2007, 05:33:37 am »
Have you tried unplugging your other keyboard and restarted the computer with the keyboard and adapter plugged in?

I don't think that would make a difference, but I guess it's worth a shot...

Offline BigAznDaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2007, 11:57:23 am »
yeah so i tried the adapter with my other keyboards that for sure work and no luck it may be a problem with the adapter.
i also get this error message:

So now should i return it and go through the hassle of the people at the return desk. I mean it just 2 bucks. and frys is pretty big store so i am certain to find another one. and should i get a new adapter but the same make?? or should i get one that costs about $7.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2007, 12:52:11 pm »
Just return it an ask for an exchange.  There's probably a lot lets trouble to go through then.  If another one of the same make doesn't work again, then yeah, I'd get a new model.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2007, 12:55:32 pm »
It comes with a CD IIRC.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2007, 01:00:44 pm »
It comes with a CD IIRC.

Really?  When I was working for the tech coordinator in HS, we ordered tons of those things and they never came with CDs.  I'm really sure that I never had to install software to use them, even on Win98, which would seem to imply that they aren't necessary...

On a different note, bigazn, do you have any PS/2 mice around?  I thought of a reason I could be wrong (and it's pretty obvious, but oh well...).  USB is obviously has a lot of flexibility/ambiguity.  Maybe the adapters have to communicate which type of device they're meant to be... I'm not sure.  It's not really my area of expertise.

Edit -- Here's a helpful explanation:

Answer:  The vast majority (95%+) of cheap ps2 to USB adapters are simple passive or pass-through devices that only function to connect the ps/2 wires to the approximate USB wires. These generic green or purple colored adapters do not have custom software drivers.  They were intended to only be used with specific keyboards that have built-in logic that can auto-switch between ps/2 and USB modes.

In general, a well-designed converter will use an integrated circuit (IC chip) to actively translate the ps/2 keyboard signal and convert it into a USB keyboard signal. This allows the vintage ps/2 keyboard to be automatically recognized by the operating system as if it were a standard, modern USB keyboard. A well-designed active ps/2 to USB converter will use the built-in operating system drivers for a USB keyboard (for example in Microsoft Windows XP, kbdclass.sys and kbdhid.sys).
« Last Edit: April 15, 2007, 01:06:24 pm by Sidoh »

Offline BigAznDaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2007, 01:06:11 pm »
Really?  When I was working for the tech coordinator in HS, we ordered tons of those things and they never came with CDs.  I'm really sure that I never had to install software to use them, even on Win98, which would seem to imply that they aren't necessary...

On a different note, bigazn, do you have any PS/2 mice around?  I thought of a reason I could be wrong (and it's pretty obvious, but oh well...).  USB is obviously has a lot of flexibility/ambiguity.  Maybe the adapters have to communicate which type of device they're meant to be... I'm not sure.  It's not really my area of expertise.

yes i do and it still does not work WTF i am getting fed up with this POS. ARG. maybe i should just buy a new keyboard.

Offline BigAznDaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2007, 07:14:34 pm »
ok $10 bucks later i got a new adapter and now it works. my problem now is how do you bind keys on the keyboard ??

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2007, 07:20:51 pm »
Bind what keys on the keyboard to what?  I'm assuming you mean the media keys, etc.

If they don't already work, chances are you're fucked.