Author Topic: Internet Problems  (Read 3476 times)

Offline Killer360

• View Profile
Internet Problems
« on: April 15, 2007, 06:00:36 pm »
This morning I noticed the internet to be rather slow when browsing some websites, so I decided to do a speed test at speedtest.net. My download speeds were fine (3000 kbps) -- but the upload speeds were under 20 kbps. So I did some basic troubleshooting, no luck. Later on I called my ISP and they said they haven't had any complaints about slow upload speeds, but he did agree, 20 kbps sucks. So now someone is going to come and take a look at what it might be on Tuesday.

Has anyone ever had this probem? I've tried removing my router and plugging the RJ-45 directly into the modem and that didn't work. I also tried a different computer and that didn't work either. It was working fine yesterday evening, I wonder what could have been happened between then and this morning...  :-\

Here are my results taken about 2 hours ago:

« Last Edit: April 15, 2007, 06:02:20 pm by Killer360 »

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
Re: Internet Problems
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2007, 06:36:00 pm »
You'd be better off testing off a server in Calgary or Toronto -- IIRC, all of Canada's Internet traffic is routed through one of those two places.

Offline Killer360

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2007, 07:39:22 pm »
I've tried uploading a file to the MTS FTP server and it was giving me like 0.8 kbps or 0 kbps... so it's still the same -- Canada or not.  :'(

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2007, 07:45:07 pm »
I presume you've tried the obvious things: restarting your router/modem, trying another computer, reseting the router/modem to factory defaults (making sure you save all of the settings in a screenshot or something)?

Offline Killer360

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2007, 08:31:31 pm »
I presume you've tried the obvious things: restarting your router/modem, trying another computer, reseting the router/modem to factory defaults (making sure you save all of the settings in a screenshot or something)?
Yes of course. I'm not even using the router at the moment.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2007, 01:58:28 am »

If you've tried all of those things, it sounds like it's your ISP's fault... that or something is physically wrong with your networking hardware.

Offline Killer360

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2007, 08:33:18 am »

If you've tried all of those things, it sounds like it's your ISP's fault... that or something is physically wrong with your networking hardware.

Yeah, the guy checked everything there and he said it looked alright. He found it kind of strange that the download speeds were perfect, but the upload speeds were garbage. I might need to get a new modem, their sending someone out on Tuesday.

The last time I was getting crap speeds I called them and they had to replace a "card" or something. But that was when my download speeds were screwed up too. And that was a problem on their end.  :-\

But it's an expensive process replacing the modem because the modem is built-in to the Digital TV box. So hopefully MTS will have to pay for that.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 08:38:01 am by Killer360 »

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2007, 11:43:32 am »
But it's an expensive process replacing the modem because the modem is built-in to the Digital TV box. So hopefully MTS will have to pay for that.

I've had my modem die out on me twice.  Both times it was replaced by my ISP.

Just explain your problem to tech support again.  Maybe you'll get a different guy and he'll be able to find something the other one didn't.

Offline Chavo

• x86
  • no u
    • View Profile
    • Chavoland
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2007, 12:41:29 pm »
Also, if they are anything like my ISP they'll wave your monthly payment if you complain often enough.

Offline Killer360

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2007, 05:21:18 pm »
Ok, so all of a sudden this afternoon my upload speeds are back to normal. My ISP obviously screwed up... again.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2007, 05:26:15 pm »
Ok, so all of a sudden this afternoon my upload speeds are back to normal. My ISP obviously screwed up... again.

Some electronics along the way are behaving normally (unexpectedly). :P