Author Topic: Road test tomorrow!  (Read 13351 times)

Offline Joe

• B&
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
Road test tomorrow!
« on: April 17, 2007, 05:15:32 pm »
My test is tomorrow at 1:10PM. Pray to the good lord that nobody dies.

PS: Anyone know where I put my driving log? :(
« Last Edit: April 18, 2007, 11:11:09 pm by Joe[x86/64] »
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
Re: Got my license!
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2007, 05:17:35 pm »
It may be scheduled for 1:10, but that's not when it's gonna happen.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2007, 05:25:14 pm »
You needed a driving log?

I wrote one down (my instructor told me to), and I handed it to her, and she didn't even look at it and goes "oh how sweet, a thank you letter."

I explained to her what a driving log was and you'd swear I was explaining quantum physics to her.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline rabbit

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2007, 05:37:14 pm »
What the hell is a driving log?

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2007, 05:51:04 pm »
What the hell is a driving log?
in NM you have to log the hours of supervised driving you've had while on your permit.  You need a total of 50 hrs (40 day & 10 night) to qualify for your provision license (which you have for 1 year before your full license)

Offline rabbit

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2007, 09:01:31 pm »
O.o;;

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2007, 09:06:20 pm »
Yeah, you need one in Colorado as well... unless you're over 18, in which case it becomes unnecessary... >_>

Offline ZeroX

• Pirating Your software since 1998
    • View Profile
    • Crap
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2007, 11:38:20 pm »
Yeah, you need one in Colorado as well... unless you're over 18, in which case it becomes unnecessary... >_>

Iam waiting till iam a legal adult to get my license. I dont want the head ache of a permint and all that other bullshit. Plus I have my lady friends to drive me around :P
Zeroforce
Zeroforce
Zeroforce

mutsumibear: David's coming over Sunday so we can have mad sex all day.
zxdropoff: lucky you
mutsumibear: :D I know.
mutsumibear: I just pray I don't start my period before then.
zxdropoff: omfg
zxdropoff: stfu
zxdropoff: now please
mutsumibear: HAHA
mutsumibear: I love disturbing you.

Offline Joe

• B&
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2007, 12:11:16 am »
It may be scheduled for 1:10, but that's not when it's gonna happen.

I know. Remember my "raid" on the DMV "boss" taking three attempts before I downed it? I'm well prepared to wait forever before it starts. :)

About driving logs, CrAz3D has it pretty good, except WI is 30hrs, with at least 10hrs at nice (overspill goes to daytime). I logged 25 hours so far, so I'm just going to make the rest up. They're not going to look at it anyhow.

Offline dark_drake

• Mufasa was 10x the lion Simba was.
  • x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2007, 12:15:49 am »
About driving logs, CrAz3D has it pretty good, except WI is 30hrs, with at least 10hrs at nice (overspill goes to daytime). I logged 25 hours so far, so I'm just going to make the rest up. They're not going to look at it anyhow.
How the hell do you drive at nice?
errr... something like that...

Offline Joe

• B&
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2007, 12:22:08 am »
You drive nicely, duh.

Night, by the way. :P

Offline Ergot

• 吴立峰 ^_^ !
  • x86
  • I steal bandwidth. p_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2007, 12:26:07 am »
Who gives a damn? I fuck sheep all the time.
And yes, male both ends.  There are a couple lesbians that need a two-ended dildo...My router just refuses to wear a strap-on.
(05:55:03) JoE ThE oDD: omfg good job i got a boner thinkin bout them chinese bitches
(17:54:15) Sidoh: I love cosmetology

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2007, 12:47:10 am »
Ugh.. that driving log thing sounds stupid.
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2007, 01:28:34 am »
Ugh.. that driving log thing sounds stupid.

Yeah, it's pretty pointless since most parents just fill it out for their kids anyway, but I suppose it is some sort of motivation for young drivers to practice before they're ready for the road...

Offline Joe

• B&
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2007, 01:39:40 am »
By the way, I found them about 20 minutes after posting. I added it all up and came to like 15 hours daytime and 7 hours nighttime, so I ended up bullshitting the rest of it (I ended up putting it in a OOo Calc sheet).

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2007, 01:59:10 pm »
By the way, I found them about 20 minutes after posting. I added it all up and came to like 15 hours daytime and 7 hours nighttime, so I ended up bullshitting the rest of it (I ended up putting it in a OOo Calc sheet).
::)

Doe that Jeep still run?

Offline Joe

• B&
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2007, 03:29:43 pm »
As little as that has to do with using OpenOffice.org Calc, yes, the Jeep still runs. And actually much better than Zagaroth left it (put about $200 into it, and made it worth around $1,500 according to my dad (who knows a lot about vehicle pricing and where to find them)).

Anywho, failed. I bombed parallel parking and hit the curb while backing up. Other than that, I did alright. The instructor said she usually sees worse from first-time drivers, so eh?

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2007, 05:25:55 pm »
Anywho, failed. I bombed parallel parking and hit the curb while backing up. Other than that, I did alright. The instructor said she usually sees worse from first-time drivers, so eh?

WHAT THE FUCK? How do you manage to bump into the curb when you are pulling PARALLEL TO THE CURB AND BACKING UP ALONGSIDE IT? Do you not manage to keep the car straight or something?

I can understand fucking up parallel parking (between two cars.... not that crap of pulling next to a curb being "parallel parking"), but bumping into the motherfucking curb?!
- Newby

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline rabbit

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2007, 06:27:13 pm »
I'm pretty sure drunk Newby wouldn't even hit the curb :\

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2007, 06:39:44 pm »
Hitting the curb is easy when you're first backing into the spot, towards the curve, if you don't straighten out (soon) enough. I did it enough times while practicing. Of course, I was practicing in a van.

So what's the bottom line, did you get your license or no?

(Here, at least, hitting the curb doesn't fail you, it's just a few points. You have to go onto the curb to fail.)

Offline rabbit

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2007, 06:41:37 pm »
Anywho, failed.
Mr. Editor can't read :P

Offline Quik

• Webmaster Guy
  • x86
  • \x51 \x75 \x69 \x6B \x5B \x78 \x38 \x36 \x5D
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2007, 09:03:23 pm »

WHAT THE FUCK? How do you manage to bump into the curb when you are pulling PARALLEL TO THE CURB AND BACKING UP ALONGSIDE IT? Do you not manage to keep the car straight or something?

I can understand fucking up parallel parking (between two cars.... not that crap of pulling next to a curb being "parallel parking"), but bumping into the motherfucking curb?!

He's not in California.

Most other states have different laws for the driving test. In California, you just have to back up straight without hitting the curb. I'm 99% sure he's saying that he actually had to parallel park between 2 cars.. in which case he didn't cut it enough while backing in and bumped up against the curb. Autofail.
[20:21:13] xar: i was just thinking about the time iago came over here and we made this huge bomb and light up the sky for 6 min
[20:21:15] xar: that was funny

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2007, 10:07:34 pm »
I sometimes hit the curb parallel parking...my truck is relatively larger, though.
...I can see it being moderately easy to hit the curb when turning in the first time like iago mentioned.

wow, I never had to learn to parallel park, though.  Dude just told us how and we did no such thing in our test.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2007, 10:45:42 pm »
Anywho, failed.
Mr. Editor can't read :P
Ah, was skimming, missed the obvious!

So now there's a thread called "Got my license" where his failure is being discussed. Weird!

He's not in California.

Most other states have different laws for the driving test. In California, you just have to back up straight without hitting the curb. I'm 99% sure he's saying that he actually had to parallel park between 2 cars.. in which case he didn't cut it enough while backing in and bumped up against the curb. Autofail.
What do you have to do in California? Just pull up to an empty curb? That's crazy!

Offline Joe

• B&
    • View Profile
    • Github
Re: Road test tomorrow!
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2007, 11:10:35 pm »
So now there's a thread called "Got my license" where his failure is being discussed. Weird!

The first post starts out as "psyche", but I'll change the topic name since it's kind of lame anyhow. :)

How do you manage to bump into the curb when you are pulling PARALLEL TO THE CURB AND BACKING UP ALONGSIDE IT? Do you not manage to keep the car straight or something?

I pulled a little bit too close to the curb (she said something along the lines of "pull over to the curb up here" so I thought I was parking, not backing up), and in combination with a little bit of play in the steering wheel (or it might have been off a little bit, it didn't take much with how close I was), I moved over a few inches from straight (I backed up a good 10ft before hitting the curb).

He's not in California.

What do you have to do in California? Just pull up to an empty curb? That's crazy!

Actually what I had to do was parallel park behind a van. There wasn't a car behind me, since obviously student drivers are liable to hit it and the inspector doesn't want to deal with it, but I didn't crank as hard as I should have and was about 1.5ft further to the left than I should have been. I probably could have gotten in if I kept drive/reverse and getting over little by little, but I figured I'd give up and have the inspector think that I'm bad at parallel parking, before demoting myself to general idiot.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2007, 11:42:45 pm »
Where I live, they put out 4 cones, a good distance apart (I practiced on like half the distance they give). You get three chances, and if you hit a cone or go over the curb, you automatically fail.

Offline dark_drake

• x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2007, 12:45:08 am »
I only had to parallel park like 3x as part as driver's education. However, it wasn't with real cars; we just used cones with orange poles sticking up. It was such a pain in the ass because the teacher actually put them just a tad bit over the minimum amount of room you should have.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2007, 12:48:34 am »
I had to write down (make up) hours and then sign my license, and, uhm, drive away

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2007, 01:22:55 am »
I pulled a little bit too close to the curb (she said something along the lines of "pull over to the curb up here" so I thought I was parking, not backing up), and in combination with a little bit of play in the steering wheel (or it might have been off a little bit, it didn't take much with how close I was), I moved over a few inches from straight (I backed up a good 10ft before hitting the curb).

Actually what I had to do was parallel park behind a van. There wasn't a car behind me, since obviously student drivers are liable to hit it and the inspector doesn't want to deal with it, but I didn't crank as hard as I should have and was about 1.5ft further to the left than I should have been. I probably could have gotten in if I kept drive/reverse and getting over little by little, but I figured I'd give up and have the inspector think that I'm bad at parallel parking, before demoting myself to general idiot.

Were these two separate parts of your test? Parking behind a van being one, and then pulling next to a curb and backing up being another?
- Newby

Offline dark_drake

• x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
Joe failed!
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2007, 01:33:35 am »
When will get to try again?

Offline Joe

• B&
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2007, 03:07:22 am »

Were these two separate parts of your test? Parking behind a van being one, and then pulling next to a curb and backing up being another?

Yes.

When will get to try again?

7 days later, so Wednesday the 25th.

Offline rabbit

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2007, 07:38:48 am »
Where I live, they put out 4 cones, a good distance apart (I practiced on like half the distance they give). You get three chances, and if you hit a cone or go over the curb, you automatically fail.

NJ is like that.  Except the cones have dowels with orange flags taped to them sticking out of the top of the cones.  They also do parallel parking first, cause most people fail on that, and fucking that up is auto-no-license-test-over-go-home-reject.

Offline Joe

• B&
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2007, 04:57:06 pm »
Parallel parking should be abolished.

a. It's rarely used anywhere anymore.
b. It takes more space per car than angled parking, not saving much space width-wise.
c. It'd riduculously hard, causing several car accidents.
d. With the addition of angled parking, more cars can fit in one spot, decreasing the need of parking lots.

Offline rabbit

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2007, 05:20:11 pm »

b. It takes more space per car than angled parking, not saving much space width-wise.
d. With the addition of angled parking, more cars can fit in one spot, decreasing the need of parking lots.
a. Go into a city sometime.
b. No.
c. You're just bad.  Go practice.
d. No.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2007, 05:24:51 pm »
He's just sore he sucks at it. :P
- Newby

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2007, 06:51:10 pm »

I'm pretty sure that studies have been done that disprove the "more space when angled" theory

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2007, 07:09:25 pm »
I think that cars parked on an angle take up exactly as much space as cars parallel to the curb or cars perpendicular to the curb: they take one carsize per car.

And yeah, in the city, I've had the parallel park many times. It's not that hard once you do it a few times.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2007, 08:06:24 pm »
they ought to take up more because they waste space...there is that slightly angle that doesnt get used

Offline BigAznDaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2007, 08:22:36 pm »
I think that cars parked on an angle take up exactly as much space as cars parallel to the curb or cars perpendicular to the curb: they take one carsize per car.

And yeah, in the city, I've had the parallel park many times. It's not that hard once you do it a few times.
how do you go into a parallel park do you go back of car in first or the front?

trust

« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2007, 08:24:03 pm »
Yeah I agree move to the city, you will parallel park. I've had to do it a lot recently at school because I don't have a first bell so when I get there the parking lot is full. I'm not sure why all of a sudden everybody is driving, it's insane. I used to always be able to get a parking spot.

Pull up to beside the front car then back in behind it while turning your wheel, straighten out and you're done.

Offline Quik

• Webmaster Guy
  • x86
  • \x51 \x75 \x69 \x6B \x5B \x78 \x38 \x36 \x5D
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2007, 09:56:02 pm »
Yeah I agree move to the city, you will parallel park. I've had to do it a lot recently at school because I don't have a first bell so when I get there the parking lot is full. I'm not sure why all of a sudden everybody is driving, it's insane. I used to always be able to get a parking spot.

Pull up to beside the front car then back in behind it while turning your wheel, straighten out and you're done.

That's what happens halfway through senior year when most of the juniors have their license.
[20:21:13] xar: i was just thinking about the time iago came over here and we made this huge bomb and light up the sky for 6 min
[20:21:15] xar: that was funny

Offline BigAznDaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2007, 10:09:08 pm »

That's what happens halfway through senior year when most of the juniors have their license.
... i usually park front in first if there  is a big enough gap.. but i really dont know what you are implying

Offline rabbit

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2007, 10:54:28 pm »
I think he called you Mexican.

trust

« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2007, 11:13:08 pm »
You were asking how to parallel park right?

but the juniors suck because I have to park in BFE everyday. We have this street along our school that generally has spots, but it's not guaranteed...like yesterday there weren't any (it's a long street too). It's just as well because that's the longest walk if you're at the end. Then there's a street on the other side of the parking lot which has a few next to a church on the road, that's where I've been parking a lot lately. Yesterday I had to park in this gravel thing in front of the church though, I don't even know if I'm allowed to park there. A lot of the cars in the parking lot don't even have the parking permit. I'm going to laugh when they decide to tow them all, but they probably won't.