Author Topic: Road test tomorrow!  (Read 13382 times)

Offline Joe

• B&
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
Re: Road test tomorrow!
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2007, 03:07:22 am »
I pulled a little bit too close to the curb (she said something along the lines of "pull over to the curb up here" so I thought I was parking, not backing up), and in combination with a little bit of play in the steering wheel (or it might have been off a little bit, it didn't take much with how close I was), I moved over a few inches from straight (I backed up a good 10ft before hitting the curb).

Actually what I had to do was parallel park behind a van. There wasn't a car behind me, since obviously student drivers are liable to hit it and the inspector doesn't want to deal with it, but I didn't crank as hard as I should have and was about 1.5ft further to the left than I should have been. I probably could have gotten in if I kept drive/reverse and getting over little by little, but I figured I'd give up and have the inspector think that I'm bad at parallel parking, before demoting myself to general idiot.

Were these two separate parts of your test? Parking behind a van being one, and then pulling next to a curb and backing up being another?

Yes.

When will get to try again?

7 days later, so Wednesday the 25th.
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2007, 07:38:48 am »
Where I live, they put out 4 cones, a good distance apart (I practiced on like half the distance they give). You get three chances, and if you hit a cone or go over the curb, you automatically fail.

NJ is like that.  Except the cones have dowels with orange flags taped to them sticking out of the top of the cones.  They also do parallel parking first, cause most people fail on that, and fucking that up is auto-no-license-test-over-go-home-reject.

Offline Joe

• B&
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2007, 04:57:06 pm »
Parallel parking should be abolished.

a. It's rarely used anywhere anymore.
b. It takes more space per car than angled parking, not saving much space width-wise.
c. It'd riduculously hard, causing several car accidents.
d. With the addition of angled parking, more cars can fit in one spot, decreasing the need of parking lots.
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline rabbit

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2007, 05:20:11 pm »

b. It takes more space per car than angled parking, not saving much space width-wise.
d. With the addition of angled parking, more cars can fit in one spot, decreasing the need of parking lots.
a. Go into a city sometime.
b. No.
c. You're just bad.  Go practice.
d. No.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2007, 05:24:51 pm »
He's just sore he sucks at it. :P
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2007, 06:51:10 pm »

I'm pretty sure that studies have been done that disprove the "more space when angled" theory

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2007, 07:09:25 pm »
I think that cars parked on an angle take up exactly as much space as cars parallel to the curb or cars perpendicular to the curb: they take one carsize per car.

And yeah, in the city, I've had the parallel park many times. It's not that hard once you do it a few times.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2007, 08:06:24 pm »
they ought to take up more because they waste space...there is that slightly angle that doesnt get used

Offline BigAznDaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2007, 08:22:36 pm »
I think that cars parked on an angle take up exactly as much space as cars parallel to the curb or cars perpendicular to the curb: they take one carsize per car.

And yeah, in the city, I've had the parallel park many times. It's not that hard once you do it a few times.
how do you go into a parallel park do you go back of car in first or the front?

trust

« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2007, 08:24:03 pm »
Yeah I agree move to the city, you will parallel park. I've had to do it a lot recently at school because I don't have a first bell so when I get there the parking lot is full. I'm not sure why all of a sudden everybody is driving, it's insane. I used to always be able to get a parking spot.

Pull up to beside the front car then back in behind it while turning your wheel, straighten out and you're done.

Offline Quik

• Webmaster Guy
  • x86
  • \x51 \x75 \x69 \x6B \x5B \x78 \x38 \x36 \x5D
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2007, 09:56:02 pm »
Yeah I agree move to the city, you will parallel park. I've had to do it a lot recently at school because I don't have a first bell so when I get there the parking lot is full. I'm not sure why all of a sudden everybody is driving, it's insane. I used to always be able to get a parking spot.

Pull up to beside the front car then back in behind it while turning your wheel, straighten out and you're done.

That's what happens halfway through senior year when most of the juniors have their license.
[20:21:13] xar: i was just thinking about the time iago came over here and we made this huge bomb and light up the sky for 6 min
[20:21:15] xar: that was funny

Offline BigAznDaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2007, 10:09:08 pm »

That's what happens halfway through senior year when most of the juniors have their license.
... i usually park front in first if there  is a big enough gap.. but i really dont know what you are implying

Offline rabbit

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2007, 10:54:28 pm »
I think he called you Mexican.

trust

« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2007, 11:13:08 pm »
You were asking how to parallel park right?

but the juniors suck because I have to park in BFE everyday. We have this street along our school that generally has spots, but it's not guaranteed...like yesterday there weren't any (it's a long street too). It's just as well because that's the longest walk if you're at the end. Then there's a street on the other side of the parking lot which has a few next to a church on the road, that's where I've been parking a lot lately. Yesterday I had to park in this gravel thing in front of the church though, I don't even know if I'm allowed to park there. A lot of the cars in the parking lot don't even have the parking permit. I'm going to laugh when they decide to tow them all, but they probably won't.