Author Topic: Joe, where can I find inconsistencies in the Bible  (Read 10582 times)

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
Joe, where can I find inconsistencies in the Bible
« on: April 20, 2007, 09:52:57 am »
my friend was going on about how Christianity is the only religion that is perfect.  w/a book written by God through 40 different men.

...I dont have my Bible here to check, but if you(or anyone) could list some passages that are in direct confliction please do so.

ie: In Luke...
9:7 "And the men which journeyed with him stood speechless, hearing a voice, but seeing no man."
22:9 "My companions saw the light but did not hear the voice of the one who spoke to me." (both KJV)

^^^thats just stuff I found online

this is just a list of a few things I'm reading re: this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internal_consistency_and_the_Bible#The_Acts_of_the_Apostles
http://members.aol.com/ckbloomfld/bepart12.html#ref121
http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/jim_meritt/bible-contradictions.html#war_or_peace
http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/jim_meritt/bible-contradictions.html#first_sermon
http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/jim_meritt/bible-contradictions.html#god_seen
« Last Edit: April 20, 2007, 10:05:40 am by CrAz3D »

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
Re: Joe, where can I find inconsistencies in the Bible
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2007, 10:56:43 am »
Well, "Thou shalt not kill" and "Moses, go get your posse and kill those assholes" (rough approximations) are pretty direct contradictions, but I don't remember exactly where they are (IIRC both in Exodus).

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2007, 08:58:19 am »
rabbit, there's a whole thesis paper written on that by some person. I haven't gotten my hands on it, but my pastor pretty much told me "The bible says 'thou shalt not murder'"

And yeah. Thou shalt not murder is one of the ten commandments (I lost track, but it's one of them) and when Moses was commanded to kill a bunch of people, it was because they were sinners (think what God did with Noah and the Ark).

@CrAz3D: I don't have the mental energy to bother looking, but since those are different chapters, I don't doubt that they're different incidents. Also, the first four gospels are known to contradict eachother, as will happen in any event where there are four people doing different things at different times. For example, the book of Judas (non-canonical) says that Judas was following a command from Jesus that he should turn him into the Pharasies in order to complete the plan, whereas Matthew, Mark and John (I'm guessing Luke, but he wasn't an apostle, so whatever) say that Jesus was prophesying, not commanding. But yeah, you get what I mean.

I fail to believe that you can find any inconsistencies in the bible (other than the obvious OT vs NT) that cannot be explained. If you believe the explination or not is a whole other situation, but they can all be explained. I like debating this, so if you can find anything (don't link me to page upon page, actually research them before sending them to me), let me know and I'll try my hand at disproving your point. Also, on amazon.com you can get a bible, shipped, for about a quarter I believe, or you can use (poke).
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2007, 09:40:39 am »
The commandment isn't "Thou shalt not kill, unless thy victims are sinners", it's "Thou shalt not kill".

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2007, 11:16:26 am »
The commandment isn't "Thou shalt not kill, unless thy victims are sinners", it's "Thou shalt not kill".
Thats what I'm getting at too.

Joe, how is it ok for Moses to kill the sinners when there are thing in the Bible like "Thou shalt not kill" & "he who is without sin cast the first stone" (assuming Moses was a real man, I figure he is sinful)?

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline Ergot

• 吴立峰 ^_^ !
  • x86
  • I steal bandwidth. p_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2007, 06:40:13 pm »
Main Entry: 2murder
Function: verb
Inflected Form(s): mur·dered; mur·der·ing /'m&r-d(&-)ri[ng]/
transitive verb
1 : to kill (a human being) unlawfully and with premeditated malice
2 : to slaughter wantonly : SLAY
3 a : to put an end to b : TEASE, TORMENT c : MUTILATE, MANGLE <murders French> d : to defeat badly
intransitive verb : to commit murder
synonym see KILL
Who gives a damn? I fuck sheep all the time.
And yes, male both ends.  There are a couple lesbians that need a two-ended dildo...My router just refuses to wear a strap-on.
(05:55:03) JoE ThE oDD: omfg good job i got a boner thinkin bout them chinese bitches
(17:54:15) Sidoh: I love cosmetology

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2007, 06:53:10 pm »

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2007, 07:11:27 pm »
lol

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2007, 12:39:41 am »
(think what God did with Noah and the Ark).

I disagree with the relationship you're proposing; Noah didn't kill the people, god did.

Also, I don't believe Noah's Ark happened at all like the bible describes it.
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2007, 12:43:06 am »

You've made it clear in the past that you're an atheist, so I don't think many people will find that surprising.  ;)

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2007, 12:54:17 am »

You've made it clear in the past that you're an atheist, so I don't think many people will find that surprising.  ;)

I'm not an atheist, though.  At this point in my life I believe in the possibility that a god exists, but I don't worship any specific one.  All religions are fair game.  (Except Scientology.  That's just bull shit.)
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2007, 12:57:43 am »
I'm not an atheist, though.  At this point in my life I believe in the possibility that a god exists, but I don't worship any specific one.  All religions are fair game.  (Except Scientology.  That's just bull shit.)

I'm pretty sure you said you were earlier... :P

Yeah, there's a word for that: agnostic, as I suspect you know. :)