Author Topic: Jacob's Ladder (1990)  (Read 2824 times)

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
Jacob's Ladder (1990)
« on: February 18, 2007, 12:06:57 am »
So, I was bored tonight and decided to walk down to Blockbuster to buy some used movies. I bought a pile (6 of them for a total of $47), most of which I had never heard of.

One of the movies I bought was Jacob's Ladder, which is a really lame-sounding name (although the name is explained towards the end). I didn't know which movie to watch tonight, so I shuffled them up and picked one at random. I picked Jacob's Ladder. I was kind of disappointed because I wanted to watch one of the better-known ones, but I decided to stick to the original plan and watch the one I picked.

It started out with war stuff, in Vietnam. A lot of yelling and fighting, and I really don't like war movies. It was looking bad.

Then it got into the meat of it, and I have to say, I was impressed. I won't say much, because it's really good and want to encourage you to watch it. But it takes place years after the war where he keeps having hallucinations, he spends some time with his current girlfriend and then suddenly he's back with his ex-wife, and he's never really sure what's going on or what's real. He sees demons who try to kill him, and his friends and girlfriend are acting weird. I was really worried about the ending, because ending movies like this is notoriously difficult, i've seen so many that were ruined by the ending ,but not this one. I really like how it all came together, and most of what was happening was explained (although there are some parts I still don't understand).

If you've never heard of this movie, or never seen the movie, I highly recommend it. I was very impressed.

And incidentally, Silent Hill the movie uses ideas from Jacob's Ladder, and the Silent Hill video game pays considerable homage (including some of the bad guys, a character, locations, etc).

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
Re: Jacob's Ladder (1990)
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2007, 03:20:07 pm »
Only iago would shuffle his movies at random and allow himself to be disappointed but watch it anyhow. :P

And thanks, I've been trying to think of a good movie to watch for a while now.
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
Re: Jacob's Ladder (1990)
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2007, 04:46:47 am »
Good movie.  Just finished watching it. :)