Author Topic: One Laptop Per Child to run Windows, cost $175  (Read 4196 times)

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
One Laptop Per Child to run Windows, cost $175
« on: April 28, 2007, 02:14:27 pm »
http://hardware.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/04/28/0658206&from=rss

I love how all the open source children are crying. Microsoft has yet again ruined their dreams!

I think this goes to show: the open source zealots couldn't give a fuck less whether the OLPC project succeeded in the end. They just cared that Linux was the only OS offered on it.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2007, 02:21:09 pm by Newby »
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
Re: One Laptop Per Child to run Windows, cost $175
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2007, 05:58:58 pm »
Haha Windows: 1 Linux: 0

One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2007, 06:04:19 pm »
Didn't Gates at one point call this project stupid? I'm positive I remember him making fun of them.

And now Microsoft pandering to it by selling cheap versions of Windows to install. Sounds like it scared them good enough!

<edit> But really, who cares? They doubled the RAM/Harddrive space, and the price went up. So what?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2007, 06:09:44 pm by iago »

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2007, 06:54:45 pm »
Didn't Gates at one point call this project stupid? I'm positive I remember him making fun of them.

And now Microsoft pandering to it by selling cheap versions of Windows to install. Sounds like it scared them good enough!

<edit> But really, who cares? They doubled the RAM/Harddrive space, and the price went up. So what?

Yes he did call it stupid. Then they realized, what the hell let's raid on the parade of OSS and get back at them for badvista.org. Now OLPC runs Aero.
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2007, 07:00:06 pm »

If you read all the comments on /. you'd swear Gates shit in their cereal.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2007, 08:10:39 pm »
If you read all the comments on /. you'd swear Gates shit in their cereal.
I read the first dozen or so, and I didn't see anything unreasonable. Somebody made fun that the battery would die booting vista, and somebody else made fun of the crank by saying you'd have an extremely strong arm if you ran vista, but that's the worst I saw (in the first dozen or so).

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2007, 03:37:27 am »
I'm just curious - I've been reading a lot of linked Vista-hater articles (and I went to badvista.org) and I keep seeing "DRM".  I'm curious as to what it is.

I've been using the RTM version of Vista for about 6 months now and the only place I've seen DRM is in Windows Media Player 11 which isn't really tied to Vista (it's on my XP install in the other room) and I could turn it off with one setting.  Not to mention the fact that the setting initially came up and asked me whether I wanted to change it the first time I ripped music.

Do any of you Vista haters know what the other DRM is?
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2007, 10:37:31 am »
I believe that this discusses it in gory detail: http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.html

Offline MyndFyre

• x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2007, 04:47:10 pm »
I believe that this discusses it in gory detail: http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.html

Have you ever read that article?  The word that comes to my mind is "vaporware."

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2007, 07:35:50 pm »

Have you ever read that article?  The word that comes to my mind is "vaporware."

Nope. It just looks interesting. And long. But from a cursory inspection, it looks like a lot of thought/work was put into it.

Offline MyndFyre

• x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2007, 09:57:55 pm »

Nope. It just looks interesting. And long. But from a cursory inspection, it looks like a lot of thought/work was put into it.
It talks primarily about things that "might" be problems coming up almost exclusively.