Author Topic: Lasers, pew pew.  (Read 4021 times)

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
Lasers, pew pew.
« on: May 04, 2007, 03:26:06 am »
I just got this laser pointer in today (ordered it about a week ago).  I have a dinky red one, but this thing is pretty awesome.  You can see the dot in broad daylight when it's within a 20-ft radius or so and is very visible during the night (I was shining it into Chromium Bass' room, which is about 200 ft away and turned around when it got in his eye... my bad man! :().  The beam is visible if the environment is dark, which is a pretty neat effect.  It'll light up a whole room dimly as well.

A fun idle game with these things (when you're in a car) is to shine them on the reflective signs.  Even in midday, if you're able to hit one, it's really bright from just about any visible distance.  Pretty cool. :)

Definitely worth the $30 if you're into toys like lasers.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
Re: Lasers, pew pew.
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2007, 09:14:20 am »
now you just need a shark!!

Offline BigAznDaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2007, 09:42:35 am »
now you just need a shark!!
ROFL, I love Austin powers

Offline Rule

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2007, 12:14:49 pm »
Lasers are an interesting application of quantum mechanics (specifically stimulated emission; laser stands for light amplification by stimulated emission of radiation).  I think the idea is that you have a bunch of atoms all in a particular excited state (E.g. first excited state).  A photon hits one of the atoms, which knocks it down into the ground state energy level, emitting another photon with a frequency such that it will make up the energy difference between the first excited state and the ground state.  Now we have two photons (the photon we sent out to begin with, and the one from stimulated emission).  These two photons will both hit atoms in the first excited state, and knock out two more photons, with exactly the same frequency (proportional to the energy difference between first excited state and ground state).  This starts a chain reaction creating coherent radiation, which in optics is known as the "amplification effect".

Offline Ergot

• 吴立峰 ^_^ !
  • x86
  • I steal bandwidth. p_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2007, 12:43:43 pm »
Wow Rule, you are so smart. Let's make out?
Who gives a damn? I fuck sheep all the time.
And yes, male both ends.  There are a couple lesbians that need a two-ended dildo...My router just refuses to wear a strap-on.
(05:55:03) JoE ThE oDD: omfg good job i got a boner thinkin bout them chinese bitches
(17:54:15) Sidoh: I love cosmetology

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2007, 02:17:41 pm »
Lasers are an interesting application of quantum mechanics (specifically stimulated emission; laser stands for light amplification by stimulated emission of radiation).  I think the idea is that you have a bunch of atoms all in a particular excited state (E.g. first excited state).  A photon hits one of the atoms, which knocks it down into the ground state energy level, emitting another photon with a frequency such that it will make up the energy difference between the first excited state and the ground state.  Now we have two photons (the photon we sent out to begin with, and the one from stimulated emission).  These two photons will both hit atoms in the first excited state, and knock out two more photons, with exactly the same frequency (proportional to the energy difference between first excited state and ground state).  This starts a chain reaction creating coherent radiation, which in optics is known as the "amplification effect".
...hmm, I concur

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2007, 04:14:05 pm »

Cool stuff. :)

I spent 10 minutes last night measuring the width of my hair with it.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2007, 05:49:08 pm »

Cool stuff. :)

I spent 10 minutes last night measuring the width of my hair with it.
you measured your hair?./.............................

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2007, 06:04:03 pm »
you measured your hair?./.............................

Yes.  You can get (relatively) extremely accurate measurements by studying the interference patterns created by obstructing a laser beam with something.

I ended up with 3 micrometers or something along those lines as a result.