Author Topic: Get Acquainted with What You Eat  (Read 12474 times)

Offline Ender

• x86
    • View Profile

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
Re: Get Acquainted with What You Eat
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2007, 02:19:19 am »
What's this about?
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2007, 03:12:51 am »
He's promoting vegetarianism. :P
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2007, 09:35:47 am »
So do you agree with this? Disagree? Think it's funny? Think it's stupid?

I hate it when people just post links...

Offline BigAznDaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2007, 09:45:25 am »
skrew vegetarians i will eat all the meat i want

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2007, 09:54:24 am »
"If God didn't want me to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2007, 11:40:22 am »
"If God didn't want me to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"
*highfive*

and not ALL meat farms (whatever they're called) are cruel like PETA shows

Offline Rule

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2007, 12:03:17 pm »
*highfive*

I'm not actually a vegetarian (that may change though).  However I think this attitude is very disrespectful.  If God didn't want us to eat humans, why did he make them out of meat?

Offline ZeroX

• Pirating Your software since 1998
    • View Profile
    • Crap
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2007, 12:44:08 pm »
*highfive*

I'm not actually a vegetarian (that may change though).  However I think this attitude is very disrespectful.  If God didn't want us to eat humans, why did he make them out of meat?

This little thing called Darwinism has been in effect since the beginning of time my friend. Survial of the fittest. Nobody has the right to say what should be eaten and what shouldnt but Iam sorry the shit PETA shows pisses me off royaly.  Aniamls are to be eaten that is a simple fact for their nutrition to our everyday lifes. Iam sorry Vegetarians are not healthy in my book I dont care how much Tofu your getting to make up for the protein.

Iam all for animals rights and love them all. But iam not going to stop eating Cows and Pigs becuase they are intelligent. So to ender, Fuck your site and all its bullshit they try to shove in your face. Let people do as they want and stop trying to Force them to be or do something that they dont want or really need to do. Goes for religion, politics, and all other arguments. Agree to disagree.
Zeroforce
Zeroforce
Zeroforce

mutsumibear: David's coming over Sunday so we can have mad sex all day.
zxdropoff: lucky you
mutsumibear: :D I know.
mutsumibear: I just pray I don't start my period before then.
zxdropoff: omfg
zxdropoff: stfu
zxdropoff: now please
mutsumibear: HAHA
mutsumibear: I love disturbing you.

Offline Rule

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2007, 12:48:06 pm »
*highfive*

This little thing called Darwinism has been in effect since the beginning of time my friend. Survial of the fittest. Nobody has the right to say what should be eaten and what shouldnt but Iam sorry the shit PETA shows pisses me off royaly.  Aniamls are to be eaten that is a simple fact for their nutrition to our everyday lifes. Iam sorry Vegetarians are not healthy in my book I dont care how much Tofu your getting to make up for the protein.

Iam all for animals rights and love them all. But iam not going to stop eating Cows and Pigs becuase they are intelligent. So to ender, Fuck your site and all its bullshit they try to shove in your face. Let people do as they want and stop trying to Force them to be or do something that they dont want or really need to do. Goes for religion, politics, and all other arguments. Agree to disagree.

That doesn't really answer my question.  If survival of the fittest is sufficient justification, is it fine for me to eat my human friends because I'm hungry (if I can get away with it)?  Is it fine for people to eat their pets?  Eat their children? The issue is far more complicated than you are projecting.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2007, 01:11:21 pm »
First, it should be pointed out that humans are designed to be vegetarians. As evidence, look at our teeth. Our teeth are similar to cows (herbivores), and nothing like dogs (carnivores).

Second, eating meat is all well and good a thousand years ago when there was a small population of people. And it would be fine now, as long as there were only a small proportion eating meat. However, with a huge population eating meat, problems are caused.

Go read Hardin's "Tragedy of the Commons". He talks about exactly this problem. A few people raising cattle is fine, but with more people, there's more competition. With more competition, they will find cheaper ways to do things, such as growing more cattle on the same amount of land, feeding them low-grade feeds, and keeping them too close together. This encourages lower quality meat, environmental damage, and spread of disease.

The problem stems from profit. You make more money if you damage land more. And if some farmers do it, everybody else has to. Otherwise, they won't make as much money and they will go broke.

The unfortunate truth is that the Tragedy of the Commons is on top of us right now. Look up the essay, it's really good.

trust

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2007, 01:31:19 pm »
First, it should be pointed out that humans are designed to be vegetarians. As evidence, look at our teeth. Our teeth are similar to cows (herbivores), and nothing like dogs (carnivores).

Actually are teeth are designed to eat meat, as our canines are used to hold on to what we're eating better (not really needed if you're eating a little berry) and our wisdom teeth are left over teeth that were used back when we had to tear apart raw meat. As a species, meat was essential to our development. If we had continued to just be gatherers we would not have gotten the amount of calories and protein that was needed to fuel our growing brain. The beginning of us consuming meat really sped us up from an evolutionary stand point.

Secondly, the Bible says we have no right to condemn someone for not eating or for eating whatever they please. And regardless what we do we're doing it for the Lord. (Romans 14)

Accept him whose faith is weak, without passing judgment on disputable matters. One man's faith allows him to eat everything, but another man, whose faith is weak, eats only vegetables. The man who eats everything must not look down on him who does not, and the man who does not eat everything must not condemn the man who does, for God has accepted him. Who are you to judge someone else's servant? To his own master he stands or falls. And he will stand, for the Lord is able to make him stand.

Furthermore meat eating is backed up multiple times in the Bible. (see Genesis where it says that animals are mans to subdue, (and that all seed bearing plants are for man...but that's another debate.)) And many people who have been deemed as good and people we need to be like are shown to have eaten meat, not to mention God instructing the eating of lamb for Passover.

If God didn't want us to eat humans, why did he make them out of meat?

Because man is God's image...

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2007, 01:42:42 pm »
*highfive*
I think PETA is disrespectful of farmers and ranchers that take better care of their stock than some other ranchers and farmers.

Yes, its cool to eat your pet, just not people.  We have rights, I guess.

Also, for nutrition, we need meat and the stuff in it.

Offline Rule

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2007, 01:50:08 pm »

I don't think you could have said anything else, on any subject, that would bother me more than this statement.  Hopefully you will live long enough to realise how deluded your thinking is.  Of course you don't believe so now, but this sort of thought is on par with how millions of Germans believed it was altruistic to gas Jewish families.  You would have been one of them.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2007, 01:57:32 pm »
Secondly, the Bible says we have no right to condemn someone for not eating or for eating whatever they please. And regardless what we do we're doing it for the Lord. (Romans 14)

Hmm...

Also, for nutrition, we need meat and the stuff in it.
100% false. Any nutrition you can get in meat, you can also get in the proper vegetables/herb/etc.