Author Topic: Get Acquainted with What You Eat  (Read 12471 times)

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
Re: Get Acquainted with What You Eat
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2007, 01:58:11 pm »
It's possible to eat people in extreme cases. But even on a lower level, it's technically (using the Survival of the Fittest) to eat your fellow man, however there are laws in place and certainly morals. Those things are more high level though.
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2007, 02:37:39 pm »
Yes, its cool to eat your pet, just not people.  We have rights, I guess.

I don't think you could have said anything else, on any subject, that would bother me more than this statement.  Hopefully you will live long enough to realise how deluded your thinking is.  Of course you don't believe so now, but this sort of thought is on par with how millions of Germans believed it was altruistic to gas Jewish families.  You would have been one of them.

What?  Because I think people can eat their pets?  People do it all of the time.

Also, for nutrition, we need meat and the stuff in it.
100% false. Any nutrition you can get in meat, you can also get in the proper vegetables/herb/etc.
well, now I suppose.  But prior to crazy over produced weird stuff, it wasnt so viable to eat other things

Offline Hitmen

• B&
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2007, 02:39:52 pm »
I want to raise a farm of people for human consumption. It would be awesome.
(22:15:39) Newby: it hurts to swallow

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2007, 02:42:14 pm »
Ever seen the movie where the rich guys take a homeless dude out to be their carrying boy hunting...then they hunt him instead?
Crazy movie

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2007, 04:15:11 pm »
well, now I suppose.  But prior to crazy over produced weird stuff, it wasnt so viable to eat other things
It sounds to me like you've never talked to a vegan. In addition to not eating animal or animal products, vegans also avoid any kind of "over produced weird stuff" (whatever that means). They typically eat natural and organic foods. Also, they typically understand a lot more about vitamins and nutrients and stuff than the average person, because they have to.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2007, 04:16:07 pm »
I want to raise a farm of people for human consumption. It would be awesome.

We have to be able to shoot them in a 10x10 room first. Kind of like fish in a barrel.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2007, 05:26:15 pm »
It sounds to me like you've never talked to a vegan. In addition to not eating animal or animal products, vegans also avoid any kind of "over produced weird stuff" (whatever that means). They typically eat natural and organic foods. Also, they typically understand a lot more about vitamins and nutrients and stuff than the average person, because they have to.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18574603/

There is obviously something missing from vegan diets when it kills babies...
Where else is the kid gonna get the nutrients to live without formula or breast milk?

and ps...veganism is impossible to follow 100%, so why bother?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2007, 05:29:44 pm by CrAz3D »

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2007, 05:29:52 pm »
Funny, one of my best friends has a vegan family with two healthy children.

I'll have to ask him, but I'm pretty sure that breast milk is allowed.

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2007, 05:31:52 pm »
I hate it when people just post links...
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline Ender

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2007, 05:32:13 pm »
I'm seriously considering becoming a vegetarian or vegan next year when I go to college. I don't like eggs and I'm lactose intolerant so I figure I may as well go vegan and be deemed "hardcore" :P

It's obvious on a macroscopic scale that the world couldn't function without killing animals for food. But even though something might be necessary for the world in general, it doesn't have to be necessary for you. Unlike other people in the world, there are no dangers to my health associated with becoming vegetarian or vegan. So I am thinking about going veg. because I simply don't like eating animals when I don't have to. Another reason is that I don't like the conditions that farm animals are subjected to.

A common argument against going veg. is that farm animals exist solely so that we can eat them. If the whole world went vegetarian, farm animals would die out and eventually go extinct. I disagree with this argument because although it is true that the population of farm animal species would greatly decrease, there will be enough animal-loving good samaritans to preserve their species in some kind of human-directed safe habitat.

Furthermore, you have to address the issue of whether breeding animals so that we can subsequently kill them and eat them is better than not breeding them at all. Personally, I think that given the choice between breeding an animal to be slaughtered for food and not breeding an animal, it's better to not breed the animal. Consider the proposal of breeding babies for their meat and skin presented in A Modest Proposal. Of course, this is not at all the message of the essay, but it came to mind and substituting farm animals with humans in this situation is a good counter-argument. The essay does, however, apply to what iago said about profit driving the food industry.

There is also something aesthetically repugnant to me about eating meat. It's been this way with me my whole life. I really only eat well-done steak and very specific types of prepared chicken.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2007, 05:35:14 pm by Ender »

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2007, 05:36:32 pm »
then, it seems to me, that they aren't strict vegans.
Vegans eat only products from non-creatures I thought.

Offline Ender

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2007, 05:39:18 pm »

Dude, milk from humans is allowed. There is nothing ritualistic about the vegan diet. The reason why animal byproducts aren't allowed is because (A) the animals are penned up in farms (B) these farms drive the food industry (C) animal slaughter most likely goes on at those farms and (D) the conditions for the animals in the farms are poor... among other reasons.

Women breast-feeding their babies don't undergo the same experience ;P

Offline Ender

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2007, 05:42:15 pm »

It may not be possible for us to draw a straight line, but it is possible for us to be strictly vegan.

Offline Rule

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2007, 05:44:13 pm »
I think becoming vegan to be "hardcore" is a pretty lame reason.  Also, while I definitely see the logic behind an argument for vegetarianism and know that it can be practiced in an extremely healthy way, there are substantial drawbacks to being a vegan (you basically can't eat anything anywhere, and yes, it can be unhealthy - some of you may have heard of the "vegan stench"), and I don't see the benefits particularly.  Are the animals really unhappy being milked?  I don't really know, but I have a feeling they might like it as they were designed to produce milk throughout their lives (obviously under different circumstances).  Maybe an unmilked domesticated cow would be unhappy?

But I could be spouting ignorance, so please, inform me if you are able.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2007, 05:50:28 pm by Rule »

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2007, 05:53:15 pm »

Dude, milk from humans is allowed. There is nothing ritualistic about the vegan diet. The reason why animal byproducts aren't allowed is because (A) the animals are penned up in farms (B) these farms drive the food industry (C) animal slaughter most likely goes on at those farms and (D) the conditions for the animals in the farms are poor... among other reasons.

Women breast-feeding their babies don't undergo the same experience ;P
What about organic foods then?
Like when people go fishing?  They take it out of the water, kill it, skin it, cook it, and eat it.  It didn't live a bad life up til the point of death.