Author Topic: Get Acquainted with What You Eat  (Read 12552 times)

Offline Hitmen

• B&
    • View Profile
Re: Get Acquainted with What You Eat
« Reply #60 on: May 16, 2007, 11:41:46 pm »
I'm a level 5 vegan. I won't eat anything that casts a shadow.

(I was thinking of posting this before, but the episode is on now so I had to)
(22:15:39) Newby: it hurts to swallow

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #61 on: May 17, 2007, 12:11:17 am »
I'm a level 5 vegan. I won't eat anything that casts a shadow.

(I was thinking of posting this before, but the episode is on now so I had to)
Do you mulch?

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 17, 2007, 12:43:31 am »
Eating an egg is the same as drinking milk, to put it simply it supports the notion of animals as slaves. Animals weren't born to feed us.
I think that their life's purpose is arguable.

Lions eat meat.
Cows eat grass.
Some animals we both, we happen to be one of those.

But still, eating an egg (even if it isnt the purpose of it) isn't cruelty towards animals

Offline Rule

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 17, 2007, 12:47:55 am »
I think veganism is an OCD paradise.  I think it is a sort of eating disorder, because almost anything can be construed to be somehow indirectly related to cruelty to animals; it is just an excuse to try and have total control and obsess over one other (important) aspect of your life, without really needing much of a rational justification, since claiming to be a "vegan" pretty much lowers those raised eyebrows.

Out of curiosity, (iago), does your friend, or more importantly, anyone in his family (since his veganism almost certainly started through his family), seem particularly obsessive about things?

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #64 on: May 17, 2007, 09:11:23 am »

Lions eat meat.
Cows eat grass.

But still, eating an egg (even if it isnt the purpose of it) isn't cruelty towards animals
Actually, cows often eat cows, also. The cheapest way to feed cows is to use the parts that aren't even good enough for hotdog meat.

Our nature is that we eat both. But this world is far, far from our nature. Our nature is more to hunt, not to farm. Although that's not really true either, ancient humans tended to eat fruit and berries rather than meat. Look it up.

Out of curiosity, (iago), does your friend, or more importantly, anyone in his family (since his veganism almost certainly started through his family), seem particularly obsessive about things?
Nope, not at all. He has strong political viewpoints, but that's about the end of it. He's not at all preachy or anything like that, either.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 17, 2007, 10:56:55 am »

Lions eat meat.
Cows eat grass.

Actually, cows often eat cows, also. The cheapest way to feed cows is to use the parts that aren't even good enough for hotdog meat.

Our nature is that we eat both. But this world is far, far from our nature. Our nature is more to hunt, not to farm. Although that's not really true either, ancient humans tended to eat fruit and berries rather than meat. Look it up.
Different people ate different things.  Isn't the appendix theorized as to being a break down organ for bones that we ingested?

Also, I believe everything is natural.  Human beings are natural and we created things that are within our natural capacity, so I think those things came about by natural means.  Not natural in the sense og God created them, obviously, but natural through evolution.

Offline Rule

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 17, 2007, 10:59:57 am »
Nope, not at all. He has strong political viewpoints, but that's about the end of it. He's not at all preachy or anything like that, either.

Is he obsessively clean?  A perfectionist?  Does he like controlling a situation?  Is he at all paranoid or sensitive to things that wouldn't bother most people?  Does he wash his hands a lot?  Does he touch doorknobs with his bare hands?

I meant more along those lines.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #67 on: May 17, 2007, 11:07:24 am »

Is he obsessively clean?  A perfectionist?  Does he like controlling a situation?  Is he at all paranoid or sensitive to things that wouldn't bother most people?  Does he wash his hands a lot?  Does he touch doorknobs with his bare hands?

I meant more along those lines.

In all those regards, he's roughly on par with me, and most other people I know. So I'd have to say no. There's nothing weird about him at all.

trust

« Reply #68 on: May 17, 2007, 01:31:54 pm »

The "ancient humans" you talk of were gatherers, but they were also scavengers. That is until they were able to use antlers to use at the end of their spears (allowing them to throw their spears which is a reason they were able to survive over other human-like species.

Offline Super_X

• I suck.
  • I suck!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 17, 2007, 11:54:53 pm »

Lions eat meat.
Cows eat grass.

Different people ate different things.  Isn't the appendix theorized as to being a break down organ for bones that we ingested?

Also, I believe everything is natural.  Human beings are natural and we created things that are within our natural capacity, so I think those things came about by natural means.  Not natural in the sense og God created them, obviously, but natural through evolution.
The appendix is used to break down raw meat using bacteria, well, at least on other animals.