Author Topic: Gates: Vista sales are "amazing"  (Read 8438 times)

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
Gates: Vista sales are "amazing"
« on: May 16, 2007, 01:38:45 am »
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2003707793_webwinhec15.html

LOS ANGELES — Bill Gates said Microsoft was "amazed" at the response to Windows Vista, the company's flagship product, which has sold nearly 40 million copies since its release Jan. 30.

In March, Microsoft said it had sold 20 million copies of Vista in its first month on the market. The company emphasized then that this was double the initial sales pace of XP, which was released Oct. 25, 2001, so today's announcement is not particularly surprising.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
Re: Gates: Vista sales are "amazing"
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2007, 08:21:00 am »
Naturally this article neglects to state how many people actually bought the Vista OS by itself (and kept using it) versus how many people bought a new computer that came pre-installed with Vista. 40 million computers being bought in a few months isn't unheard of, and almost all computers are now built to Vista standards.
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2007, 09:23:43 am »
Naturally this article neglects to state how many people actually bought the Vista OS by itself (and kept using it) versus how many people bought a new computer that came pre-installed with Vista. 40 million computers being bought in a few months isn't unheard of, and almost all computers are now built to Vista standards.
And it's that reason that the OS game is so unfair: Microsoft can't possibly lose!

Offline nslay

• Giraffe meat, mmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2007, 11:32:15 am »
And it's that reason that the OS game is so unfair: Microsoft can't possibly lose!
And what would computer vendors preload?  Linux?  Thats a terrible idea ... Maybe if Apple releases OS X for x86 in general will vendors start preloading OS X.
Maybe they could make Linux optional, so for example, someone like iago could buy a machine with Slackware or whatever installed, but then that really wouldn't damage Microsoft since most people aren't going to use Linux anyhow.
To be honest, new computers seem to be wrappers for advertisements...I'd rather just a system thats wiped clean (no OS) than one with anything preloaded on it.
An adorable giant isopod!

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2007, 01:13:09 pm »
I most definitely wouldn't buy a computer with Linux pre-installed. Not even my favorite distro. I want to do it myself.

However, my problem is that I've bought 3 laptops in my life, and with each of those I bought a copy of Windows. The copy was deleted and the stickers peeled off, but Microsoft still got my money for doing nothing. And that's totally unfair.

So I agree, empty computers would be good. Sell empty computers, and Best Buy offers to install Windows for you.

trust

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2007, 01:16:52 pm »
I most definitely wouldn't buy a computer with Linux pre-installed. Not even my favorite distro. I want to do it myself.

However, my problem is that I've bought 3 laptops in my life, and with each of those I bought a copy of Windows. The copy was deleted and the stickers peeled off, but Microsoft still got my money for doing nothing. And that's totally unfair.

So I agree, empty computers would be good. Sell empty computers, and Best Buy offers to install Windows for you.

That's pretty dumb, nobody wants to wait the extra hour or so to install the OS. Nor do they want to pay an additional bill, the consumer mind like seeing they're getting everything for a lump sum even if it's no cheaper than if they bought everything separately. Furthermore why even waste resources on paying someone to install Windows on almost every single new computer Best Buy sells. Best Buy undoubtedly is one of the largest computer retailers so that's a lot of installing to do. And then when you think about the actual percentage of it's consumers who would actually want Linux over Windows, it's a wasteful maneuver.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2007, 01:53:34 pm »
Let's take a different angle.

Imagine if every fridge you bought came with enough Pepsi in it to last you until you buy your next fridge. Not for free, of course, but the price of the Pepsi comes with the fridge, and everybody has to buy it unless you build your own fridge.

How many people would drink Coke, in that case? Is that fair to Coke?

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2007, 01:55:39 pm »
(Atleast here) there are way to request the OS to not come preinstalled on the hardware.

Vista sold more in one week than all the other OSes userbases combined. They made approx 14.4 billion dollars since Vista launched.

It's a major success passing even XPs sale numbers. It will become as widely used as XP, I don't get what all the people are saying about Vista being a flop.
There is definitely a demand for Vista, and the features it brings (DX10, Security, Aero, etc.)
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2007, 03:50:29 pm »

QQ.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Chavo

• x86
  • no u
    • View Profile
    • Chavoland
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2007, 03:56:25 pm »
Good thing noone in this thread has a biased view skewing their reaction!

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2007, 04:12:26 pm »
Do you disagree with my assessment? If people were forced to buy a few years' worth of Pepsi with every fridge, do you really think anybody could possibly compete? And the ability to prevent competition = monopoly.

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2007, 05:37:24 pm »
Do you disagree with my assessment? If people were forced to buy a few years' worth of Pepsi with every fridge, do you really think anybody could possibly compete? And the ability to prevent competition = monopoly.

This is true, but I don't see it being true much longer. Companies (like Dell) are starting to either ship PCs without OSes preinstalled or offer PCs with Linux preinstalled. It will be a lot different in a few years, people will be more aware of the choices around them.
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2007, 06:03:32 pm »
This is true, but I don't see it being true much longer. Companies (like Dell) are starting to either ship PCs without OSes preinstalled or offer PCs with Linux preinstalled. It will be a lot different in a few years, people will be more aware of the choices around them.
I'm not sure how well that will work, though. If most Linux users are like me, they won't buy them with pre-installed OSes. Although if I had a choice between Windows and Linux, I'd buy the Linux box (out of support) and format it.

I don't know what the best solution is, but I know I don't like the current way (it smells bad). I think that all computers should come empty, and people should have to learn what a "OS" is. Installing Windows could be a valuable experience to many, and really isn't that difficult. And when that happens, people might understand what a OS really is. Most people I talk to don't even know what Windows means, just that they have to have it.

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2007, 06:14:56 pm »
I'm not sure how well that will work, though. If most Linux users are like me, they won't buy them with pre-installed OSes. Although if I had a choice between Windows and Linux, I'd buy the Linux box (out of support) and format it.

It'd be the best solution for the average "Joe Sixpack" who can't do custom compiles, or run a setup themselves. Somethat that just works is enough for most people.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2007, 08:16:03 pm »
It'd be the best solution for the average "Joe Sixpack" who can't do custom compiles, or run a setup themselves. Somethat that just works is enough for most people.
It's called "tough love" -- make 'em learn! :)