Author Topic: NYLF  (Read 4093 times)

Offline d&q

• I'm here.
    • View Profile
    • Site
NYLF
« on: May 21, 2007, 10:15:19 pm »
I received in the mail a 'nomination' to join the National Youth Leadership forum. I am usually apprehensive about these kinds of things, since they are usually scams and do not help you prepare for a career/get in a college. However, this one was a bit different. It actually used real stamps, instead of the generic "non-profit" stamps that came with a billion of the college letters I received, and it was in a fancy envelope with all ostentatious decorations and whatnot befit for a legitimate program. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had heard about this program, and if it is actually a good summer program. If it is, how good is it and is it work applying to? (Costs are around ~$2000)

Thanks in advance! :)
The writ of the founders must endure.

Offline Ergot

• 吴立峰 ^_^ !
  • x86
  • I steal bandwidth. p_o
    • View Profile
Re: NYLF
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2007, 10:37:46 pm »
I get those all the time, I toss them out :|
Who gives a damn? I fuck sheep all the time.
And yes, male both ends.  There are a couple lesbians that need a two-ended dildo...My router just refuses to wear a strap-on.
(05:55:03) JoE ThE oDD: omfg good job i got a boner thinkin bout them chinese bitches
(17:54:15) Sidoh: I love cosmetology

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2007, 11:58:28 pm »
I get those all the time, I toss them out :|
x2
...although, some of that stuff can be helpful if you get good leadership training classes

Offline d&q

• I'm here.
    • View Profile
    • Site
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2007, 01:37:26 am »
Like I said, I've gotten at least 40 letters that are your general trashable mazeltov, but this one seemed different, and I wanted to know if anyone had any info about it. :'(
The writ of the founders must endure.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2007, 01:41:48 am »
I actually went to a NYLF (technology) "camp."  It was interesting and useful, but I don't think it was worth the $1,300.  The only notable speaker there was the creator of the Napster (Sean Fanning, I think).

I met some pretty interesting people and it was decently set up.  There were a lot of events and I enjoyed seeing different parts of California (my favorite part was probably the visit to the Stanford campus).

trust

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2007, 07:30:32 am »
I went to 'Presidential Classroom's' program on "Law and Justice in a Democracy" which is similar to NYLF (not sure which seminar you wanted to do, but the organization is similar) and it was one of the best things I've ever done. I was upset to leave, and wish I could go back...and I might actually go back for the alumni program next year.

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2007, 03:24:39 pm »
One of the absolutely best things to do is between your junior and senior years of high school called Boys' State.  The American Legion hosts it in every state usually in early June.  Talk to your school counselors about the program - it's incredible.  I've been a counselor at Arizona's now for about 4 years.
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2007, 05:19:17 pm »
I've heard a lot about Girl's State, but never Boy's State because the event takes place in Portales, NM (some podunk town east of Albuquerque, NM).

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2007, 05:44:38 pm »
It'd be nice if our councilors weren't totally fucking useless. Wish I would have heard about those...
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline wires

• Pwnage
  • x86
  • cocaine is fun!
    • View Profile
    • Weapon Of Mass Destruction
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2007, 11:10:07 pm »
The only notable speaker there was the creator of the Napster (Sean Fanning, I think).
He stole my idea while I was sleeping.

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2007, 04:15:18 pm »
The only notable speaker there was the creator of the Napster (Sean Fanning, I think).
He stole my idea while I was sleeping.
That movie sucked.  :\

btw, OFFTOPIC.
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline while1

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2007, 05:22:16 pm »
I got one of those lol.  In the letter they named the kid who went the previous year from my HS and I talked to him, he enjoyed it.  His parents were loaded so he could afford it though... the price tag wasn't worth it to me.

They hold "Girl's State" every summer at my university... it's chaotic.  I was working at my uni and taking a summer course to kill time last summer and the police made the summer students stay like 500 feet from where they are... trying to protect the girls from us... when it's usually the girls who the summer students need protection from.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2007, 05:27:02 pm by Michael »
I tend to edit my topics and replies frequently.

http://www.operationsmile.org