Member Forums > Ender's Book Club

On Learning

<< < (2/4) > >>

Ender:
:-*

Explicit:

--- Quote ---There’s something to be said about learning. And I mean learning, not learning. Every time you learn something, a new potential of higher beauty springs into existence. You become more sensitive to life, more easily stimulated by everyday accidents of meaning. But there’s more to the story than that. After you learn something, your criteria becomes stricter, and your judgment less forgiving. What you once thought to be beautiful now wilts under a harsher sun. You start to see trucks run over squirrels, birds fumble in flight, and clichés appear in writing.
--- End quote ---

I'd have to disagree with the statement in bold.  Learning is essentially awareness.  Criteria doesn't become stricter as your learning progresses, but rather, becomes more malleable to the person's will.  The same thing goes for judgement.

I like to think of it as the light element of a scenic design for a film.  With light being awareness, you are in control of what you shed light on.  The way you go about shedding that light is how you eventually come to define it.

GameSnake:
You could look at learning like working out for your brain, with obvious advantages over those who don't work out.

Explicit:

--- Quote from: Explicit[nK] on July 22, 2007, 07:06:56 am ---
--- Quote ---There’s something to be said about learning. And I mean learning, not learning. Every time you learn something, a new potential of higher beauty springs into existence. You become more sensitive to life, more easily stimulated by everyday accidents of meaning. But there’s more to the story than that. After you learn something, your criteria becomes stricter, and your judgment less forgiving. What you once thought to be beautiful now wilts under a harsher sun. You start to see trucks run over squirrels, birds fumble in flight, and clichés appear in writing.
--- End quote ---

I'd have to disagree with the statement in bold. Learning is essentially awareness. Criteria doesn't become stricter as your learning progresses, but rather, becomes more malleable to the person's will. The same thing goes for judgment.

I like to think of it as the light element of a scenic design for a film. With light being awareness, you are in control of what you shed light on. The way you go about shedding that light is how you eventually come to define it.

--- End quote ---

I demand a response, Ender.

Ender:
holy bump

that was some rambling of mine when i was feeling emo. better to e-write than e-mote.

as for your "demand": this is the kind of thing that, if you debate, you get off looking like a fool

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version