Author Topic: How Can I Cool My Computer?  (Read 6112 times)

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
How Can I Cool My Computer?
« on: May 28, 2007, 10:23:29 am »
It's a laptop.  I've been looking at cooling pads, but all of them have mixed reviews.  As of about 3 minutes ago, these are my temperatures:

and for you crazy Celsius people:

Offline Hitmen

• B&
    • View Profile
Re: How Can I Cool My Computer?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2007, 10:53:11 am »
One of my friends bought a really cheap one that did nothing. He got pissed at it and ended up buying a more expensive one which apparently works really well. My suggestion would be looking for something that looks like a quality piece of work (like, something metal instead of the cheapo plastic ones) and spending a little more money than you would otherwise. I'll try to see which one he has next time I talk to him.
(22:15:39) Newby: it hurts to swallow

Offline abc

• View Profile

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2007, 01:18:43 pm »
Your shit is practically on fire. G'damn.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2007, 01:26:41 pm »
Well, the general advice is to keep it on a hard, flat surface, like a table. Leaving it on, like, a bed is a bad idea.

Beyond that, I can't help.

Offline abc

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2007, 01:49:03 pm »
I'm getting

Fan1: 0 RPM
Fan2: 0 RPM

..lol is that bad?

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2007, 01:49:57 pm »
Well, the general advice is to keep it on a hard, flat surface, like a table. Leaving it on, like, a bed is a bad idea.

Ehh, I had a laptop that got up to 189°F or something to that extent sitting on a cabinet colored brown. At least it claims to have gotten that hot. And that was the system telling me that when I ran FreeBSD on it.
- Newby

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline d&q

• I'm here.
    • View Profile
    • Site
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2007, 02:09:24 pm »
Use a glass case and submerse all the internals in cooking oil.
The writ of the founders must endure.

Offline nslay

• Giraffe meat, mmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2007, 02:49:06 pm »
Those temperatures look pretty normal.  My system with normal use is about 40-50C (right now its 45C), depending on the room temperature.  When its compiling or otherwise using 100% CPU, its about 65-75C, depending on the room temperature.

If you're worried there is a problem, I'd recommend checking for a BIOS update.

EDIT: I should mention, normal for a laptop
« Last Edit: May 28, 2007, 03:04:12 pm by nslay »
An adorable giant isopod!

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2007, 03:18:32 pm »
Stick it in the freezer.

Happy to help.
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline LordVader

• Knowledge is power.
    • View Profile
    • James Moss on the web!
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2007, 03:48:00 pm »
The main thing i've heard specially in regards to laptops, and especially sony viao's etc.
Keep any laptop as was suggested away from walls and able to properly vent
The little slots you see on the back/bottom aare the only places air can be circulated in/out etc..

Their are also docks you can get for laptops that keep it proped up and have fans on the base to help cool them etc..
I've not tried these but I would imagine they would help some, you can find them at any retailer online newegg.com, or any descently large comercial store like bestbuy etc..
I would do some research first on the different brands.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2007, 04:08:25 pm by LordVader »

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2007, 06:28:32 pm »
I'm getting

Fan1: 0 RPM
Fan2: 0 RPM

..lol is that bad?
Probably means it is having trouble reading the ACPI thing. Stick your finger in. If you feel pain (that's not electrocution), your fans are fine.

Use a glass case and submerse all the internals in cooking oil.
That works poorly on a laptop. You end up with greasy fingers.

Ehh, I had a laptop that got up to 189°F or something to that extent sitting on a cabinet colored brown. At least it claims to have gotten that hot. And that was the system telling me that when I ran FreeBSD on it.
That's probably a bad thing. Even if it doesn't break immediately, it's not going to take long before having a hardware failure.

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2007, 07:54:09 pm »
Well, when I watch shows/movies on it, I usually lie in bed and stick it next to me (though I've been using a book to keep it up a little).  When I'm not doing that, it sits on a desk right next to my air conditioner...

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2007, 08:13:18 pm »
I left my laptop on once in my bed and when I came back I got the pixels were starting to change colour turning black and it was pretty damn hot.  :\
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2007, 08:32:36 pm »
That's probably a bad thing. Even if it doesn't break immediately, it's not going to take long before having a hardware failure.

Yeah. The fan was on the bottom, and blew hot air right back into the machine. So, I turned it off and it hasn't been turned in since. :P
- Newby