Author Topic: Simon ben Jonah?  (Read 3875 times)

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
Simon ben Jonah?
« on: April 29, 2007, 04:26:29 pm »
Pope / Saint / Apostle Peter is sometimes referred to as "Simon ben Jonah". I'm not Catholic (he's "Peter" as far as our church is concerned) so I don't have a clue, except that he was Simon before Jesus changed his name. If anyone could explain that name, that'd be cool!
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline LordVader

• Knowledge is power.
    • View Profile
    • James Moss on the web!
Re: Simon ben Jonah?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2007, 05:35:25 pm »
I can't exactly recall but I believe it had to do with his past, I believe he was a higher up in politcal circles (possibly even a king or high ranking official or something) and was not what you would consider to be a god like or god fearing person before some major things changed in his life..
Exact details escape me but I do remember things of this nature being the case with several apostles and atleast one and I beleive it was Peter having his name changed as a sign of him being renewed or reborn.

I may be thinking of one of the other apostles in Jesus's inner circle it has been a long time since i've discussed or seen/heard anything in regards to such things.

The meaning in the name i'm not sure but via google i found:
Peter, Saint, d. A.D. 64?, most prominent of the Twelve Apostles, listed first in the Gospels, and traditionally the first bishop of Rome. His original name was Simon, but Jesus gave him the nickname Cephas [Aramaic,=rock], which was translated into Greek as Petros [Gr. petra=rock].
Further info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Peter
Notably:
Matthew and Mark report that while fishing in the Lake of Gennesaret, Simon and his brother Andrew were called by Jesus to be his followers, with the words, "Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men" (Matthew 4:18-19; Mark 1:16-17).

In Luke's account Simon is the owner of a boat that Jesus uses to preach to the multitudes who were pressing on him at the shore of Lake Gennesaret (Luke 5:3). Jesus then amazes Simon and his companions James and John (Andrew is not mentioned) by telling them to lower their nets, whereupon they catch a huge number of fish. Immediately after this, they follow him (Luke 5:4-11).

The Gospel of John gives a slightly different account (John 1:35-42). Andrew, we are told, was originally a disciple of John the Baptist. Along with one other disciple, Andrew heard John the Baptist describe Jesus as the "Lamb of God", whereupon he followed Jesus. He then went and fetched his brother Simon, said, "We have found the Messiah", and brought him to Jesus. Jesus then gave Simon the name "Cephas" or "Peter". Both words mean 'rock', the first in Aramaic and the second in Greek, so by giving Simon this name Jesus was calling him 'my rock'.
Still doesn't really get into alot of details about his old name but does go more into him at that time and why his name changed..

Edit: Was wrong in original reply, edited with more correct info.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2007, 05:45:48 pm by LordVader »

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2007, 12:52:22 am »
Yeah, when Peter came to Jesus he was known as Simon, and his name was changed to Peter.

I can't remember (if I ever knew?) what Simon meant, but Peter in Greek is Cephas, which is supposed to be similar to the word cephos, or "rock".

Offline LordVader

• Knowledge is power.
    • View Profile
    • James Moss on the web!
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2007, 07:21:49 am »
Usually atleast for the families last name back then, today is interprited as what their familie's profession was, like he was a fisherman etc..
So I would imagine atleast the last part of his name should refer to that in some way, but the first parts of the name Simon and ben I have no clue heh

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2007, 05:44:07 pm »
Jonah, a fisherman. Oh, the irony. (Reference: Book of Jonah.)

So.. Simon the Fisherman, basically?

EDIT -
Everything about Simon is really interesting. A lot of things Jesus said about him as metaphors were true literally. For example, Jesus said "Upon this rock (again, Cephas/Cepho) I will build my church", and Peter's bones are buried beneath the Sistine Chapel.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2007, 05:49:03 pm by Joe[x86/64] »

Offline LordVader

• Knowledge is power.
    • View Profile
    • James Moss on the web!
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2007, 09:25:58 am »
I would imagine so yes