Author Topic: Microsoft Surface  (Read 6288 times)

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline Hitmen

• B&
    • View Profile
Re: Microsoft Surface
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2007, 01:51:09 am »
This is probably the first really innovative, cool thing that I have seen in a while. The wireless sharing is way cool, much better than using the shitty cellphone controls to send a photo to the person sitting next to you. This can easily be extended to music as well, to the dismay of the RIAA. Drag the cover of the latest greatest album to your friends ipod, and bam, transferred. The key here really is the UI, if they can pull off something really good, and make the whole experience as natural as the few things they showcased in the video looked, then it could be a wonderful product. People could pick it up right away, way more user friendly than a mouse / keyboard.

There are some other cool things I can think of.... ever see one of those fully customizable multi-hundred dollar remote controls? Pack it into this and the user can control all their tv, audio equiment from a central console. Hell, what about x10 stuff? Control lights, thermostat, CCTV style cameras, security system... the possibilities are endless! But with something like that, security is probably a nightmare, and this is a microsoft product so... yeah.
(22:15:39) Newby: it hurts to swallow

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2007, 02:45:40 am »
Looks really freakin' awesome.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2007, 08:51:57 am »
There are some other cool things I can think of.... ever see one of those fully customizable multi-hundred dollar remote controls? Pack it into this and the user can control all their tv, audio equiment from a central console. Hell, what about x10 stuff? Control lights, thermostat, CCTV style cameras, security system... the possibilities are endless! But with something like that, security is probably a nightmare, and this is a microsoft product so... yeah.
You would seriously want your security system controlled by a Microsoft product? :P

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2007, 03:32:35 pm »
Holy hell, this thing wreaks of innovation. Sure Multitouch is nothing new, but just look at how they present the damn thing.
Wireless syncing with devices by just laying them on the surface? What's next? Flying cars?
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2007, 04:58:55 pm »
Although this is cool, it doesn't seem all that useful compared to a traditional computer. Although maybe that's just my old-fashionedness speaking :)

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2007, 05:24:24 pm »
It's going to be a Kiosk, even though I can see Multitouch coming to other things too in the future.
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline AntiVirus

• Legendary
  • x86
  • Best
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2007, 05:34:03 pm »
That looks pretty freaking awesome.  Too bad it's only for business use right now though.  I'm excited to see it move on to home use and become as frequently seen in homes as a desktop and or a laptop.
The once grove of splendor,
Aforetime crowned by lilac and lily,
Lay now forevermore slender;
And all winds that liven
Silhouette a lone existence;
A leafless oak grasping at eternity.

"They say that I must learn to kill before I can feel safe, but I rather kill myself then turn into their slave."
- The Rasmus

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2007, 05:39:03 pm »
Although this is cool, it doesn't seem all that useful compared to a traditional computer. Although maybe that's just my old-fashionedness speaking :)

I agree that it's not going to replace the modern day computer, but it'd be awesome for sure to play some SC2 on it.  :)
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2007, 05:43:23 pm »

I agree that it's not going to replace the modern day computer, but it'd be awesome for sure to play some SC2 on it.  :)

Only till you got a sore neck from leaning over it, and somebody spilled coffee on the screen. Not to mention fingerprints -- I don't think I'm the only one who eats greasy food while playing games :P

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2007, 06:14:19 pm »
I would assume it'd be fine to look at the table while sitting at a chair, or even possibly having it at a slight incline like artists have rests(?) for their drawing paper.

It'd be kick ass to have an all-in-one system that combines all of that stuff (the camera/music sharing) along with home related systems.  TV, dvd players, HVAC, security, water timers, alarm clocks, etc

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2007, 07:59:17 pm »
I would assume it'd be fine to look at the table while sitting at a chair, or even possibly having it at a slight incline like artists have rests(?) for their drawing paper.
easle.

It'd be kick ass to have an all-in-one system that combines all of that stuff (the camera/music sharing) along with home related systems.  TV, dvd players, HVAC, security, water timers, alarm clocks, etc
The more you put together, the more chance of failure there is, and the more damage done by failure. At least when my dvd player breaks, I can watch tv, and when the air condition breaks I can still play DVDs :P

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2007, 08:09:51 pm »
easle.
Not quite that high.  that'd be something that stands alone, I mean some inclined thing on the table.

More like this I guess

The more you put together, the more chance of failure there is, and the more damage done by failure. At least when my dvd player breaks, I can watch tv, and when the air condition breaks I can still play DVDs :P
You can have everything able to work independently, just because the TV remote breaks doesnt mean you can change the channel.

Offline nslay

• Giraffe meat, mmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2007, 12:12:48 pm »
http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/industry/4217348.html?page=1

Oooo Neat.  :)

Very cool, that seems to be one step in the right direction.  Time to get rid of these darned mice and keyboards.
An adorable giant isopod!

Offline d&q

• I'm here.
    • View Profile
    • Site
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2007, 01:49:41 pm »
easle.
Not quite that high.  that'd be something that stands alone, I mean some inclined thing on the table.

More like this I guess

Drawing board.
The writ of the founders must endure.