Author Topic: Project Censored  (Read 5540 times)

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
Re: Project Censored
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2007, 02:33:25 pm »
yeah there are some places that have mines from WW2, but it seems that this is talking about new mines.

You wouldn't put new mines where civilians would step on them, you'd put them around important buildings along with fences.
Go read about landmines, and come back to this thread when you know what you're talking about. Please.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2007, 02:41:17 pm »
You step on them and they pop up out of the ground and explode blowing off legs and torsos.

We're talking about modern day use of them, not old ones that've been left around in places that little kids might now play.
Why should we stop using them now just because people in the 1940s were careless with the removal/placement?

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2007, 03:08:58 pm »
Here's something cool, the Landmine Incident Database. You can search for how many innocent people have been killed by landmines around the world: http://www.ddasonline.com/
406 incidents?

By that logic we should ban cars, because WAY more people die from them.
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2007, 03:11:16 pm »
You step on them and they pop up out of the ground and explode blowing off legs and torsos.

We're talking about modern day use of them, not old ones that've been left around in places that little kids might now play.
Why should we stop using them now just because people in the 1940s were careless with the removal/placement?
You don't bury them around your buildings, though. You bury them in fields, or on roads, or in a city as you retreat.

406 incidents?

By that logic we should ban cars, because WAY more people die from them.
Yeah, I realized after that that was a bad source. I was hoping nobody would actually read the link, since that's what generally happens :P

Either way, the difference is that mines' sole purpose for existing is to kill random people.

Offline zorm

• View Profile
    • Zorm's Page
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2007, 03:24:21 pm »
Yeah, I realized after that that was a bad source. I was hoping nobody would actually read the link, since that's what generally happens :P

Either way, the difference is that mines' sole purpose for existing is to kill random people.

Not true at all. For one there are different types of mines. The US employs land mines and antipersonnel mines(some can be configured into land mine status). So blatently saying "mines are bad" is false. They also aren't ment for killing random people they are normally targeted at things like defense in which case they will be killing the guy trying to attack you.

BTW, US policy today is such that land mines have to be recorded very specifically as to their location and such so that we can go back and fetch them at a later date if they are left behind. Its almost to a point where putting mines out is more of a pain than it is worth.

As far as treaty's go thats all a wash. A treaty never stopped anyone from doing something and you'll notice that most of the accidents with land mines today are from mines left over from earlier wars. So its not like telling a country to destroy all the mines they have in stockpile now is going to change anything...
"Frustra fit per plura quod potest fieri per pauciora"
- William of Ockham

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2007, 05:15:50 pm »

You don't bury them around your buildings, though. You bury them in fields, or on roads, or in a city as you retreat.

I've never heard of that regarding American placement of mines in modern day warfare.  Not once.  Especially because we never really leave an area, and if we do it is because we just rebuilt it.  Why would we want to destroy something that we rebuilt after we destroyed it in the reformation of that government/area/etc?

Also, if we were leaving like we do now and political tensions might be tight but we aren't at war...why would we (The US of A) plant mines?  So the force we just came to some sort of agreement with will be mad again?  That'd be foolish.

Furthermore, I like zorm's point about "treaties never stopping anyone before."  If someone wants to do it they're gonna do it anyway, why give others the false sense of security?

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2007, 05:41:11 pm »
Not true at all. For one there are different types of mines. The US employs land mines and antipersonnel mines(some can be configured into land mine status). So blatently saying "mines are bad" is false. They also aren't ment for killing random people they are normally targeted at things like defense in which case they will be killing the guy trying to attack you.

BTW, US policy today is such that land mines have to be recorded very specifically as to their location and such so that we can go back and fetch them at a later date if they are left behind. Its almost to a point where putting mines out is more of a pain than it is worth.

As far as treaty's go thats all a wash. A treaty never stopped anyone from doing something and you'll notice that most of the accidents with land mines today are from mines left over from earlier wars. So its not like telling a country to destroy all the mines they have in stockpile now is going to change anything...
I'm glad to hear that they've made progress in using mines carefully. I still think they're a bad idea, but at least if they are able to recover all of them safely, it's not terrible.

The treaty doesn't even demand that countries destroy all their mines, only that the mines they keep are for training purposes. I don't care if countries stockpile stuff, as long as they can't use it. And much like the geneva convention, at least it keeps countries (other than the US, of course) from using terror-style warfare.

(by the way, thanks for a helpful post -- it's nice to see somebody who knows what they're talking about. I was kind of wondering if the US was careful like that)

I've never heard of that regarding American placement of mines in modern day warfare.  Not once.
Great. Do you think the mines between North and South Korea are floating? They're either in a field or on roads, I don't know, but they aren't surrounding buildings.

Especially because we never really leave an area
Viet Nam?

And in any large-scale wars, retreat is often necessary.

Also, if we were leaving like we do now and political tensions might be tight but we aren't at war...why would we (The US of A) plant mines?  So the force we just came to some sort of agreement with will be mad again?  That'd be foolish.
Just because you aren't at (real) war now, doesn't mean you won't be in the future. Duh?

Furthermore, I like zorm's point about "treaties never stopping anyone before."  If someone wants to do it they're gonna do it anyway, why give others the false sense of security?
That doesn't even make sense, really. Other countries not having mines doesn't give me any sense of security, it just makes me feel a little better that civilians will stop feeling after-effects of war.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2007, 06:04:03 pm »
The mines between N & S Korea are in an area where no one is supposed to go and is guarded.  Mines are to protect against a military invasion.  (This is all assuming that they are there, I don't know what is there)

Also, Vietnam, yeah...where else have we hail tailed it out of?  And even then, that was 40 years ago, nearly, and much has changed about military strategy and technique.

And re: the "why would we leave them and cause more bad feelings"...even IF we are in a country v. country war in the future, why would we make things worse by leaving mines around to kill civilians?

Finally, the thing about the treaty is that even if someone signs it, that doesn't necessarily mean that they will abide by it.  That possibility of contradiction with the treaty puts citizens into a false sense of security just as the U.S. currently sat in a false sense of security because bin Laden hadn't hit us in a few years...but he still was and is out there wanting to destroy us regardless of any agreement

Offline Super_X

• I suck.
  • I suck!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2007, 04:42:35 am »
The mines between N & S Korea are in an area where no one is supposed to go and is guarded.  Mines are to protect against a military invasion.  (This is all assuming that they are there, I don't know what is there)

Also, Vietnam, yeah...where else have we hail tailed it out of?  And even then, that was 40 years ago, nearly, and much has changed about military strategy and technique.

And re: the "why would we leave them and cause more bad feelings"...even IF we are in a country v. country war in the future, why would we make things worse by leaving mines around to kill civilians?

Finally, the thing about the treaty is that even if someone signs it, that doesn't necessarily mean that they will abide by it.  That possibility of contradiction with the treaty puts citizens into a false sense of security just as the U.S. currently sat in a false sense of security because bin Laden hadn't hit us in a few years...but he still was and is out there wanting to destroy us regardless of any agreement
We've retreated in almost every war, or fight we've been in, usually we end up taking the area back, but the last few wars we've fought in, we've retreated more than we've advanced.

The DMZ dpes not protect anything, the DMZ is the physical embodiment of a stalemate. There are over 10,000,000 mines of ours between the two countries, and they aren't even necessary. The only reason they don't attack us is because we have nukes. The reasons we don't attack them are because they have a standing army of over 1,000,000. Those are career military persons, the ones that are not "weekend warriors." Also, they have the gourella techniques of fighting, we have proven time and time again that we can't fight that.

War techniques have not changed at all since Viet Nam. Just look at the war in Iraq. The only difference is the steriotype and the weapos.

We leave mines because we care. ;) /me thumbs up.
When we destroy the civilians, we destroy the moralle, the less they want to fight, the more they will die.

Sure, a treaty won't prevent anything from happening, but it's more likly that it wont. We had NATO, that prevented the USSR and the rest of the eastern bloc from attacking us. The more people that sign a treaty will cause enough pressure on a country to follow the rules of that treaty. Say, five people versus one, the one is most likly going to lose, ei. WWII.