Author Topic: DJing  (Read 4991 times)

trust

DJing
« on: June 03, 2007, 11:21:50 pm »
So does anyone here DJ? I have a newfound interest in it and just made my first mix after about a week of off/on tinkering with various programs. It's crude and some transitions are off so I'm going to redo it, maybe I'll post it here. I'm using VirtualDJ right now since I don't have any hardware equipment but it'll work with hardware if I continue with this. I think it'll be a really fun/easy job in college if I practice over the summer. It's really fun manipulating the music, and I like having tracks combine without having a pause and I like being able to opt out of listening to a minute long hook.

Anyway I might be having a house/pool party in a couple of weeks so I'm going to keep practicing and DJ my party. I won't be able to have as much fun socially I guess, but oh well. I'll have to set it up somewhere central so I can monitor the party and make sure nobody drowns, kills my cat, or breaks anything.

So anybody else have this interest?

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
Re: DJing
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2007, 12:06:59 am »
Cool!  Post it!

Secretary I work with is intensely into DJing...just bought some mad $700 mix table that takes digital music and allows you to scratch w/it on a fake vinyl (since you can barely find anything on vinyl nowadays).  Harcore

trust

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2007, 12:14:53 am »
You can find vinyl at record stores, especially hip hop. Most rap/hip hop artists release on vinyl along with acapella and instrumental versions simply because it's so critical to that genre.

I just listened to it and it actually wasn't that bad, but could use a lot of transitional improvements.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2007, 12:15:57 am »
well, whatever my co-worker/classmate has on her computer she cant find on vinyl

trust

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2007, 01:01:07 am »
This is harder than I thought.

I went to the music store yesterday to buy this thing, they had it for $150 and it was a decent mixer (adjust eq's, fade, etc. and I wanted it because it was a decent price and had little simulation turntables for scratching.) As it turns out they don't carry it in the store so I'd have to order it, I ended up spending $260 on a different one, this one is built smaller though and when I flick the fader to like fade from a song to another I sometimes hit the little turntable thing and it takes my tracks off beat. It's gay. I considered returning it and getting two actual turntables and a different mixer but in order to stay in my price range I'd have to buy really cheap stuff and it's probably not even worth it. I think I'm just going to stick with this until I get some more cash and then either use it for it's external soundcard functionality or sell it.

In other news I'm not djing from my laptop instead of my desktop, at first I used my desktop because it has a gig of extra ram but my laptop seems to be doing decent. I cleared off my dresser and am using that. Once I started standing up while I do it I almost instantly improved. I'm still a noob but my mixes sound better. Still not good enough for me to post though.

Anyway here's my setup. I don't know what I'm going to do with the stuff that's usually on my dresser (including one of those ipod radio clock things which is now on the floor) Also if I upgrade to real turntables and stuff after I get some dollas I'll have to get a laptop mount or something to put in my walll because I'd have nowhere to put it unless I brought a table in or got rid of my desktop or something. College will just be worse though.

Offline Quik

• Webmaster Guy
  • x86
  • \x51 \x75 \x69 \x6B \x5B \x78 \x38 \x36 \x5D
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2007, 01:04:59 am »
I used to have some real Technics tables... some 1210s, but now I just have a single old skoo one I inherited from my parents in order to listen to my vinyl.
[20:21:13] xar: i was just thinking about the time iago came over here and we made this huge bomb and light up the sky for 6 min
[20:21:15] xar: that was funny

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2007, 08:49:05 am »
Diggin' the GWB poster.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

trust

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2007, 09:33:17 am »
I used to have some real Technics tables... some 1210s, but now I just have a single old skoo one I inherited from my parents in order to listen to my vinyl.

Yeah I'm hoping I can go ahad and get some decent ones after I get a new job or with graduation money or something, but for now this is working ok.

trust

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2007, 07:03:59 pm »

Did you sell the tables? They go for like $400 apiece used I think for 1210's. That's really the only thing holding me back, I don't want to drop so much if I don't continue with it. I considered getting like some cheap ones (our local guitar center has some on sale for $79, but it's obviously beltdriven which I heard is harder to beatmatch on especially when starting off.) Did you use them just for listening to your vinyls or did you mix with them?

Offline Furious

• I hate rabbits
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2007, 10:34:07 am »
I could see a red headed Trust DJing in Norfolk....

hahahahahahahaha
[23:04:34] <deadly7[x86]> Newby[x86]
[23:04:35] <deadly7[x86]> YOU ARE AN EMO
[23:04:39] <Newby[x86]> shush it woman

[17:53:31] InsaneJoey[e2] was banned by x86 (GO EAT A BAG OF FUCK ASSHOLE (randomban)).

Quote from: Ergot
Put it this way Joe... you're on my Buddy List... if there's no one else on an you're the only one, I'd rather talk to myself.

trust

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2007, 12:25:23 am »

hahahahahahahaha

I WOULD TEAR THE FUCKING CLUB UP.

Offline Furious

• I hate rabbits
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2007, 11:00:39 am »

hahahahahahahaha

I WOULD TEAR THE FUCKING CLUB UP.

If the thugs didn't tear you up first!  :-*
[23:04:34] <deadly7[x86]> Newby[x86]
[23:04:35] <deadly7[x86]> YOU ARE AN EMO
[23:04:39] <Newby[x86]> shush it woman

[17:53:31] InsaneJoey[e2] was banned by x86 (GO EAT A BAG OF FUCK ASSHOLE (randomban)).

Quote from: Ergot
Put it this way Joe... you're on my Buddy List... if there's no one else on an you're the only one, I'd rather talk to myself.

trust

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2007, 12:51:19 pm »
As long as youre sweet they don't care what color you are, ie DJ Joe Phoo from 106.1 DJs in clubs and he's white.

Offline Super_X

• I suck.
  • I suck!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2007, 03:28:44 am »
As long as youre sweet they don't care what color you are, ie DJ Joe Phoo from 106.1 DJs in clubs and he's white.
But, he's not a black hating, red headed republican, either.

Offline Quik

• Webmaster Guy
  • x86
  • \x51 \x75 \x69 \x6B \x5B \x78 \x38 \x36 \x5D
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2007, 05:45:47 am »

Did you sell the tables? They go for like $400 apiece used I think for 1210's. That's really the only thing holding me back, I don't want to drop so much if I don't continue with it. I considered getting like some cheap ones (our local guitar center has some on sale for $79, but it's obviously beltdriven which I heard is harder to beatmatch on especially when starting off.) Did you use them just for listening to your vinyls or did you mix with them?

I sold my setup for like $900 with the two tables and mixer, and now just use the shit I've got now to listen to my collection cuz I didn't sell any of my vinyl. And don't fuck with beltdriven shit if you want to learn how to dj... I suggest borrowing some or something or get someone to teach you some shit.
[20:21:13] xar: i was just thinking about the time iago came over here and we made this huge bomb and light up the sky for 6 min
[20:21:15] xar: that was funny