Author Topic: No more driving on cell phones under 18!  (Read 7930 times)

Offline psychspy

• View Profile
Re: No more driving on cell phones under 18!
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2007, 01:34:55 pm »
You see, this law is good.  Though it won't be enforced easily, cops should be able to have a new radar that detects these noobs' phones and scans for pc4pc in text messages they send while driving.  And hey, it turns out the cool kids send text messages more than they talk on the phone.  I hope they don't pass a red light while sending "pc4pc" and get rammed by a Ford F-350.  Which would be even funnier if a person simultaneously sends the text message with a picture taken by the phone's camera as the truck rams into the car.  gg no resurrection

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2007, 01:38:29 pm »
Those new F-Series superduties are KICKASS!!!

Offline Furious

• I hate rabbits
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2007, 04:09:57 pm »
This is an inconvenience for me, being a Virginia driver under 18. I have VZNavigator on my cellphone and frequently am plugging in addresses or searching for a business while driving if I'm unsure of how to get there. I'll be 18 in less than a month though, so whatever. It's obviously only a secondary offense because they don't know your age if they see you on the phone.

I'm sorry to burst your bubble - but realistically, you aren't anyone important.  You have no real need to drive and talk at the same time.  If you need to use navigator, pull over and park, it's not a difficult concept or just use mapquest before you leave.
When I was pre-18 I needed my phone while driving.  There were times I my boss needed to call me while I was driving, I pretty REALLY should answer when my boss calls.

No, you never "really" needed to answer the call.  If he / she can't give you 30 seconds to pull over, then you've got some issues to workout.
[23:04:34] <deadly7[x86]> Newby[x86]
[23:04:35] <deadly7[x86]> YOU ARE AN EMO
[23:04:39] <Newby[x86]> shush it woman

[17:53:31] InsaneJoey[e2] was banned by x86 (GO EAT A BAG OF FUCK ASSHOLE (randomban)).

Quote from: Ergot
Put it this way Joe... you're on my Buddy List... if there's no one else on an you're the only one, I'd rather talk to myself.

trust

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2007, 04:43:05 pm »
This is an inconvenience for me, being a Virginia driver under 18. I have VZNavigator on my cellphone and frequently am plugging in addresses or searching for a business while driving if I'm unsure of how to get there. I'll be 18 in less than a month though, so whatever. It's obviously only a secondary offense because they don't know your age if they see you on the phone.

I'm sorry to burst your bubble - but realistically, you aren't anyone important.  You have no real need to drive and talk at the same time.  If you need to use navigator, pull over and park, it's not a difficult concept or just use mapquest before you leave.

A lot of times I make plans with my mom while I'm driving (ie meeting for lunch or going somewhere or picking something up, etc.) Mapquest before I leave is inconvenient, requires paper, and doesn't help me if I get lost en route or need to add an additional stop. My mom pays the extra $10 partly for peace of mind.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2007, 05:03:17 pm »

When I was pre-18 I needed my phone while driving.  There were times I my boss needed to call me while I was driving, I pretty REALLY should answer when my boss calls.

No, you never "really" needed to answer the call.  If he / she can't give you 30 seconds to pull over, then you've got some issues to workout.
If everyone pulled over instead of talkin while driving traffic would seriously be interrupted!  That is horrible to suggest

Offline AntiVirus

• Legendary
  • x86
  • Best
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2007, 05:04:01 pm »

If everyone pulled over instead of talkin while driving traffic would seriously be interrupted!  That is horrible to suggest
Since everyone driving is under 18....?
The once grove of splendor,
Aforetime crowned by lilac and lily,
Lay now forevermore slender;
And all winds that liven
Silhouette a lone existence;
A leafless oak grasping at eternity.

"They say that I must learn to kill before I can feel safe, but I rather kill myself then turn into their slave."
- The Rasmus

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2007, 05:22:33 pm »

Not to mention that you typically pull over OFF the road, not ON it? How would that interrupt traffic?

Offline AntiVirus

• Legendary
  • x86
  • Best
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2007, 05:24:23 pm »

Not to mention that you typically pull over OFF the road, not ON it? How would that interrupt traffic?
It's because when driving on a cellphone you have to pull over on the road, unlike when you drive with a car.  Does that clear it up? :P
The once grove of splendor,
Aforetime crowned by lilac and lily,
Lay now forevermore slender;
And all winds that liven
Silhouette a lone existence;
A leafless oak grasping at eternity.

"They say that I must learn to kill before I can feel safe, but I rather kill myself then turn into their slave."
- The Rasmus

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2007, 05:32:01 pm »

I was thinking everyone on cell phones...not just 18-.

Offline dark_drake

• Mufasa was 10x the lion Simba was.
  • x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2007, 02:16:44 am »
If they could find a way to enforce this, it's great. I simply refuse to ride with most 15-17 year-olds because of how careless they are.
errr... something like that...

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2007, 02:52:12 am »
I talk on the phone while driving. I also usually do about ten miles an hour over the speed limit. When I'm on the phone and need to switch a turn signal, headlights, or windshield wipers, I'm more than happy to use my knee to hold the wheel while my free hand does the necessary job.

I've been driving since 5-22-07. People who have been driving for years should be able to do that without causing accidents if I can do it.

EDIT -
I should note that I follow laws as guidelines, not rules. I'm more than happy to break them if I have a good reason, such as I want to talk to someone while driving or want to get somewhere faster. I obviously won't weave through traffic at 100MPH on the interstate -- that'd just be stupid, but I have no problem doing 10 over.

As far as GDL (rider restrictions and curfew), I tend to stick closer to the speed limit while breaking it. I'll rarely take more than 1 person with me, but not because of the law -- because I rarely need to take more than one person with me. I have no problem driving after midnight, since I usually stick to the speed limit after dark and our laws are so vague that I could weasel my way out of it with a simple "I'm just heading home."

EDIT -
I don't, and will not, text while driving. Anyone who does that should be pulled over and shot repeatedly by the Stupidity Police.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2007, 02:56:41 am by Joe[x86/64] »
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2007, 10:46:20 am »
texting is pretty similar to calling someone

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2007, 10:47:28 am »
I don't, and will not, text while driving. Anyone who does that should be pulled over and shot repeatedly by the Stupidity Police.

I do that. Without looking at the screen. 'cuz I'm a baller.

It's just as big of a distraction as calling someone.

By the way, you've only been driving for less than a month. Don't give yourself so much credit for not getting into an accident. ^^
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline wires

• Pwnage
  • x86
  • cocaine is fun!
    • View Profile
    • Weapon Of Mass Destruction
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2007, 10:48:28 pm »
I talk on the phone while driving. I also usually do about ten miles an hour over the speed limit. When I'm on the phone and need to switch a turn signal, headlights, or windshield wipers, I'm more than happy to use my knee to hold the wheel while my free hand does the necessary job.

I've been driving since 5-22-07. People who have been driving for years should be able to do that without causing accidents if I can do it.
Just because you haven't been in an accident yet, doesn't mean you won't be.

Offline Furious

• I hate rabbits
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2007, 07:27:40 am »
I'm almost positive it will be enforced state wide sometime in the near'ish future.  Local military bases have already restricted cell phone usage to hands free and if you get caught talking on a phone they WILL pull you over and give you a ticket.  I'm sick of these kids and adults alike locally who talk on the phone while driving, 90% of them don't use blinkers, are driving without their headlights on during the night // evening time or just generally being ignorant drivers.
[23:04:34] <deadly7[x86]> Newby[x86]
[23:04:35] <deadly7[x86]> YOU ARE AN EMO
[23:04:39] <Newby[x86]> shush it woman

[17:53:31] InsaneJoey[e2] was banned by x86 (GO EAT A BAG OF FUCK ASSHOLE (randomban)).

Quote from: Ergot
Put it this way Joe... you're on my Buddy List... if there's no one else on an you're the only one, I'd rather talk to myself.