Author Topic: Student suspended after voicing marijuana opinion  (Read 5358 times)

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

trust

Re: Student suspended after voicing marijuana opinion
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2007, 12:59:57 pm »
He should sue.

Offline Hitmen

• B&
    • View Profile
Mmmm sensationalism. If you could read, he wasn't suspended for voicing his opinion on marijuana.

King and his brother Lucas were given three-day-suspensions for disobeying the lockdown.

While it says they did "threaten him with police action" and "accuse him of using and selling marijuana at school", which is still pretty ridiculous, they didn't suspend him just for saying what he said. And walking out of school is definately not freedom of expression, though he has every right to do it, they have every right to punish him for it.
(22:15:39) Newby: it hurts to swallow

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2007, 01:57:04 pm »
Well, he got what was coming.  Threatening with police action because of what he said was stupid, but walking out during a lockdown and being upset for being punished for breaking the rules is stupid too

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2007, 02:19:36 pm »
Well, if he was suspended for promoting marijuana, I still think it would have been ok. I mean, if he promoted murder or rape or drinking and driving, I would expect action to be taken. And when it comes down to it, a law's a law, even if you don't agree with it.

I suppose "freedom of speech" might come into play, but eh.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2007, 02:39:50 pm »
He didnt promote it per se, he just said that it is not worse than alcohol and tobacco.
Also, like Hitmen said, he was suspended for leaving during a lockdown (the lockdown was initiated, it seems, to stop a walkout which was to protest the kid being threatened with legal action for saying 'weed isnt worse than booze').

The kid being threatened with police action is the only thing that seems wrong in this.

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2007, 04:30:16 pm »
The whole thing is fucking stupid, putting the school in a lockdown to stop a protest?
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2007, 05:18:20 pm »
The whole thing is fucking stupid, putting the school in a lockdown to stop a protest?
..to stop a walkout

I think they have to try everything to prevent stuff like that.

A principal at a highschool in El Paso, TX ALLOWED a protest during lunch break (kids were already off already).  Police were present just to make sure things were ok.  Lunch ended, kids didn't return to class, police started taking kids back to class, kids threw stuff at cops, kids = in jail.

Offline Super_X

• I suck.
  • I suck!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2007, 05:21:06 pm »
..to stop a walkout

A principal at a highschool in El Paso, TX ALLOWED a protest during lunch break (kids were already off already).  Police were present just to make sure things were ok.  Lunch ended, kids didn't return to class, police started taking kids back to class, kids threw stuff at cops, kids = in jail.

That sounds like it's the kids' own damn fault for throwing shit at the cops.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2007, 07:27:51 pm »
...it is

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2007, 10:56:14 pm »
..to stop a walkout

Let the kids suffer the consequences of their actions. It's the backhand of protest, you expect whoever you're protesting against to Bend over Backwards?

Putting the school in a lockdown to prevent a person or a group of people from voicing their opinion is ridiculous. Let them walk out and face the consequences. Restriction expression breed pansies and conformists, the opposite of what this country was founded on. If I have a problem with something, I'm damn sure going to say it and I'll say it loudly. 
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline Killer360

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2007, 09:55:22 pm »
And why was my post deleted... ?

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2007, 10:33:41 pm »

It wasn't.  I'm tired of hearing "why Marijuana should be legal" and I'm pretty sure most people here agree.  If you want to spark a debate, make another topic.

Offline Killer360

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2007, 10:24:46 am »

It wasn't.  I'm tired of hearing "why Marijuana should be legal" and I'm pretty sure most people here agree.  If you want to spark a debate, make another topic.

I wasn't debating, I was agreeing with the kid in the article.