Author Topic: Trusts Summer CLEAROUT!  (Read 16092 times)

Offline zorm

• View Profile
    • Zorm's Page
Re: Trusts Summer CLEAROUT!
« Reply #60 on: July 25, 2007, 09:33:22 pm »
Seriously, that's just being silly.

The term "worth" in this case obviously means the most reasonable amount (on both ends) he could sell it for.

Not necessarily. Say I've got a 486 that I paid $1,000 for way back when, its worth to me might be a lot higher than its actual worth. Thats realistically the case with a lot of computer hardware these days.

Given that I can buy an equivilent processor on ebay for $1-10, the ram can be had for $14/512 stick, the video card is about $15, the HD for about $15, then he gets $8 for the effort of having put it together. Sounds like a pretty good deal to me.
"Frustra fit per plura quod potest fieri per pauciora"
- William of Ockham

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #61 on: July 25, 2007, 09:43:38 pm »
Not necessarily. Say I've got a 486 that I paid $1,000 for way back when, its worth to me might be a lot higher than its actual worth. Thats realistically the case with a lot of computer hardware these days.

Given that I can buy an equivilent processor on ebay for $1-10, the ram can be had for $14/512 stick, the video card is about $15, the HD for about $15, then he gets $8 for the effort of having put it together. Sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

I understand the subjectivity associated with something's worth... I think you're being pedantic.

You're offering $90 for a computer when he could almost certainly get at least double that.

You're being silly again. :S

Offline zorm

• View Profile
    • Zorm's Page
« Reply #62 on: July 25, 2007, 10:09:13 pm »
I understand the subjectivity associated with something's worth... I think you're being pedantic.

You're offering $90 for a computer when he could almost certainly get at least double that.

You're being silly again. :S

Why should he be able to get double that? I just quoted prices for pretty much everything it has. The cost of the motherboard and cd drive is probably neglible, which leaves the case. so perhaps I can see $110 for the whole system but not much more than that. I think I even over valued the RAM.

Besides, the goal isn't for him to get rich, the goal is for me to get a good deal :p Although he doesn't really seem to care and hasn't even offered a counter-offer so I guess he doesn't want to get rid of it that badly.
- William of Ockham

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #63 on: July 25, 2007, 10:49:15 pm »
Why should he be able to get double that? I just quoted prices for pretty much everything it has. The cost of the motherboard and cd drive is probably neglible, which leaves the case. so perhaps I can see $110 for the whole system but not much more than that. I think I even over valued the RAM.

Besides, the goal isn't for him to get rich, the goal is for me to get a good deal :p Although he doesn't really seem to care and hasn't even offered a counter-offer so I guess he doesn't want to get rid of it that badly.

He's not trying to undercut the price of the summed values of each component.  He's selling it as a whole.  If you want to buy those components and build the PC yourself, then do it and stop whining that he should adhere to your expectations.

Unless I'm missing something, you're also discounting all of the peripherals that he mentioned (including a LCD monitor) and the preinstalled OS (which is a legal copy of XP, I assume).

Who said anything about him getting rich?  I just don't think he should sell it for such a low price.

Offline zorm

• View Profile
    • Zorm's Page
« Reply #64 on: July 26, 2007, 12:02:28 am »
He's not trying to undercut the price of the summed values of each component.  He's selling it as a whole.  If you want to buy those components and build the PC yourself, then do it and stop whining that he should adhere to your expectations.

Unless I'm missing something, you're also discounting all of the peripherals that he mentioned (including a LCD monitor) and the preinstalled OS (which is a legal copy of XP, I assume).

Who said anything about him getting rich?  I just don't think he should sell it for such a low price.

Simple really, because I know him and the ability to get something premade has an added value to me(note that I'm not willing to pay for it) and if I'm going to go elsewhere then I'll definitely be getting different hardware.

I wasn't including any peripherals, I assumed he was going to get rid of some of them seperately. I just wanted the tower.

Alas, its all capitalism, I want things for cheap and you're interfering with my attempts to drive the price down!
- William of Ockham

Offline Chavo

• x86
  • no u
    • View Profile
    • Chavoland
« Reply #65 on: July 26, 2007, 12:34:31 am »
Your quoted prices are not realistic for verified, working hardware.  The motherboard is also definately not negligiable.  You can't spend less than ~$50 on a new motherboard and if you want a used one, chances are you will end up spending more than that $50 throwing out the trashed ones and looking again.  A working, used motherboard is worth at least 30 bucks as long as it supports a chipset that is at least semi modern.

CPUs are easy to find, but you'll spend more than $10 after shipping (and good luck finding something specific locally).
RAM has to match your motherboard specs so while someone like me (and you perhaps) has enough lying around to match most systems, you'll have a hard time paying less than $20 for any working DIMM and the benefit of buying the motherboard, cpu, and memory all together isn't negligible.

Video cards and hard drives on the other hand, I do think are negligible.  Both are very swappable and easy to find.  I have 3-4 spare IDE drives sitting around ranging from 30-120 gigs each....all of them I have received for free and are in working condition.  Video cards generally aren't even necessary since most people are content with integrated graphics (virtually standard).

I'd say no less than $75 for motherboard+cpu+ram, the rest is arguable and likely much more valuable as a part of the 'working' whole than individually.

trust

« Reply #66 on: July 31, 2007, 03:46:16 pm »
I was offered $350 shipped for the computer (without XP and I think without peripherals) on another forum, so unless anyone can beat that I have to decline all computer offers. :P

Those that wanted books or software should PM me!

trust

« Reply #67 on: August 07, 2007, 01:30:30 pm »
Nevermind that deal fell through too. He was buying it for his brother but his brother decided to be a hoebag and buy one himself. Wtf?

Anyway surely you guys would be interested in those programming books, and rising seniors in the review books. I'll combine stuff if you buy more than one (like say all 3 review books for like $25) I'm just leaving in 10 days and need to get stuff out of my room.

trust

« Reply #68 on: August 08, 2007, 05:15:51 pm »
I updated the list and prices. I also added some pictures of the computer.

I also want to sell the books as well as the games in bulk, so I put lump pricing which I think sounds fair. $25 for the 3 school related books (cheaper than just the SAT book), $35 for all of the programming books. $50 for all of the books. I don't program anymore but surely someone here does.

As for the games and software, $40 shipped seemed reasonable to me since there are some good titles in there. HL 1/2, CoD 1/expansion/2, WoW, etc.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 13, 2007, 05:25:33 pm »
What kind of harddrive? SATA?

How fast is the ethernet connection?

How many free PCI slots?

How many RAM slots? How much can the motherboard support? How fast can the RAM be?

I'm posting from my phone so if you answered this already I apologize, but at $300 I honestly might consider it. I'm looking for a media center pc and my buddy may sell me his for $300 as well... so I'm asking on small details now.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

trust

« Reply #70 on: August 13, 2007, 06:10:29 pm »
What kind of harddrive? SATA?

How fast is the ethernet connection?

How many free PCI slots?

How many RAM slots? How much can the motherboard support? How fast can the RAM be?

I'm posting from my phone so if you answered this already I apologize, but at $300 I honestly might consider it. I'm looking for a media center pc and my buddy may sell me his for $300 as well... so I'm asking on small details now.

The harddrive is ATA (IDE)

The ethernet connection is 10/100.

The motherboard has 5pci slots total, 1 AGP, 3 RAM slots. The motherboard can support up to 3gb.

This is a quote from the mobos website (http://www.biostar-usa.com/mbdetails.asp?model=M7NCD%20PRO)

3 x 184-pin DDR SDRAM DIMM
Maximum 3.0 GB
Dual Channel DDR 200/266/333/400
For Dual-channel DDR (128-bit) performance, at least 2 or more DIMM modules must be installed in both DIMMA and DIMMB. With only one DIMM module installed, the memory performance is limited to 64-bit.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 13, 2007, 06:32:30 pm »
I might go with my buddies but I'll let you know, since they're about the same power/quality computer, and having it right around the corner is convenient. We'll see. :P
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

trust

« Reply #72 on: August 13, 2007, 07:15:21 pm »
true but I'm desperate

Offline zorm

• View Profile
    • Zorm's Page
« Reply #73 on: August 14, 2007, 02:57:53 pm »
Should have taken my offer.
- William of Ockham

trust

« Reply #74 on: August 14, 2007, 03:04:04 pm »
Should have taken my offer.

I could do better using eBay's trade in service.  Your offer was an insult, and would have barely covered shipping and packaging charges.