Author Topic: iPhone  (Read 10335 times)

trust

iPhone
« on: July 08, 2007, 09:14:32 pm »
My friend bought one opening day and I was using it a lot today on the way to/from our summer lacrosse game. It is sweet. There are a few things I dislike (ie EDGE needs to be faster, no video recording, and the touch sensitivity can be quirky (but I also haven't had much practice.) But it's still really nice. It's also boosted Apple stock by $13 in a week.

Anyway, iPhone discussion here.

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
Re: iPhone
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2007, 09:29:42 pm »
Get me one.
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2007, 10:09:30 pm »
It is really nice - one of my co-workers picked one up.  The form factor is very nice too - not NEARLY as clunky as I thought it'd be.

However, there are still good reasons to not buy one quite yet.
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2007, 04:21:24 pm »
My dad is picking one up as we speak. I'll probably toy with it too, and let you know how it works out. :)

I read a really in-depth review (I forget the webpage..) that talked about every single thing you could think of on the iPhone. It looks pretty cool overall.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2007, 04:38:23 pm »
that talked about every single thing you could think of on the iPhone.
Did they check if it would blend?

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2007, 04:42:34 pm »
Hahaha, iSmoke don't breathe that!

I love will it blend. :)

Offline Killer360

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2007, 07:35:45 pm »
I'll probably get one when it comes out in Canada....

trust

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2007, 10:35:38 pm »
My dad is picking one up as we speak. I'll probably toy with it too, and let you know how it works out. :)

I read a really in-depth review (I forget the webpage..) that talked about every single thing you could think of on the iPhone. It looks pretty cool overall.

Are they even allowed on the Microsoft campus? :-\

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2007, 02:56:39 am »

Are they even allowed on the Microsoft campus? :-\

As long as you don't work near Ballmer I'd guess so.  :P
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2007, 02:12:51 pm »
Update: It's pretty sweet, and since my dad is gonna move his company (and therein, me) to AT&T he'll split the cost of an iPhone with me if I want one. So there's a chance I may pick one up.

If I do, I'll do a full in-depth review of it. :)
- Newby

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2007, 04:30:18 pm »
Update: It's pretty sweet, and since my dad is gonna move his company (and therein, me) to AT&T he'll split the cost of an iPhone with me if I want one. So there's a chance I may pick one up.

If I do, I'll do a full in-depth review of it. :)
gosh, lucky

Offline Hitmen

• B&
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2007, 07:09:01 pm »
iPhag
(22:15:39) Newby: it hurts to swallow

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2007, 09:51:42 pm »
I passed up my chance today to get one (we got my stepmom one instead). I'm gonna wait a week to see if we truly stick with AT&T (going cross-country = good chance you'll find out how well Cingular works) and if we do, I'll probably get the 8gb model. Hey, at $300, that's a catch. That, and the Blackberry/Palm Treo is a cockblock compared to the trendy, hip iPhone! :P
- Newby

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2007, 10:03:15 pm »
I passed up my chance today to get one (we got my stepmom one instead). I'm gonna wait a week to see if we truly stick with AT&T (going cross-country = good chance you'll find out how well Cingular works) and if we do, I'll probably get the 8gb model. Hey, at $300, that's a catch. That, and the Blackberry/Palm Treo is a cockblock compared to the trendy, hip iPhone! :P
lookin at att map their service is horrible outside of cities :(

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2007, 10:20:07 pm »
I've never had problems with them, even in places like Pennsyltucky and St John.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2007, 11:51:24 pm »
lookin at att map their service is horrible outside of cities :(

Their service coverage map looks like it hits nearly 80%+ of every state except... Wyoming. And the only places I end up in (San Diego, Phoenix/Mesa, Texas, Florida) have great coverage.

Apparently, the plan they have will end up saving money too, since I talk/text a lot. I guess I'm a social whore? :|
- Newby

Offline psychspy

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2007, 12:01:28 am »
It doesn't seem too bad, but no video recording?? That takes away some fun.  I guess if I compared the iPhone to comparable phones like those in the Nokia N-Series, I'd stick with the N-Series.  A good one's the N95.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2007, 01:33:41 am »
I'm not worried about the camera, persay. I'm not a big fan of cameras in phones. If it didn't even have one, I'd be happy. :)

Compared to my current phone, it's feature-rich. I just like my phone now, though: it's just a phone! I call people, I text people. I'm happy. I figure if I get an iPhone, I'll get bored as hell of it.

The YouTube is pretty damn neat. Videos load in ~10-15 seconds, and the quality is good enough. It'll make for an entertaining senior year in high school if I get one. :P
- Newby

Offline dark_drake

• Mufasa was 10x the lion Simba was.
  • x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2007, 01:52:58 am »
Their service coverage map looks like it hits nearly 80%+ of every state except... Wyoming.
Wyoming is above all this cell phone technology and whatnot. :D
errr... something like that...

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2007, 02:37:46 am »
This reminds me of something funny that happened.

Last week, Rogers (AT&T's Canadian division) called me and offered me a package that, for a month, would give me free voicemail, as well as a whole bunch of picture/video sending. He was surprised to find out that my phone doesn't do pictures or videos. And I hate voicemail.

I love my ancient old phone, with a 2-colour LCD display and 4 really crappy games. It can phone and text, it's fairly small, and I like how it looks better than a phone.

Personally, I wouldn't take an iPhone as a gift. I don't want to have that much power carried with me, it would just become a nuisance.

Offline Towelie

• pwnstar
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2007, 03:12:38 am »

Last week, Rogers (AT&T's Canadian division) called me and offered me a package that, for a month, would give me free voicemail, as well as a whole bunch of picture/video sending. He was surprised to find out that my phone doesn't do pictures or videos. And I hate voicemail.

I love my ancient old phone, with a 2-colour LCD display and 4 really crappy games. It can phone and text, it's fairly small, and I like how it looks better than a phone.

Personally, I wouldn't take an iPhone as a gift. I don't want to have that much power carried with me, it would just become a nuisance.

The only thing that appeals to me is that I would have my iPod on me at all times :P

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2007, 03:27:38 am »

The only thing that appeals to me is that I would have my iPod on me at all times :P

i will have you burned at the stake for even doubting the iphone's magnificence
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.

Offline Towelie

• pwnstar
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2007, 03:39:42 am »
A phone is a phone. You need it to call people. Want to use the internet? get on a computer

Offline Quik

• Webmaster Guy
  • x86
  • \x51 \x75 \x69 \x6B \x5B \x78 \x38 \x36 \x5D
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2007, 03:46:05 am »
I'm not worried about the camera, persay. I'm not a big fan of cameras in phones. If it didn't even have one, I'd be happy. :)

Compared to my current phone, it's feature-rich. I just like my phone now, though: it's just a phone! I call people, I text people. I'm happy. I figure if I get an iPhone, I'll get bored as hell of it.

The YouTube is pretty damn neat. Videos load in ~10-15 seconds, and the quality is good enough. It'll make for an entertaining senior year in high school if I get one. :P

You'd be surprised how much new features change your current habits. I've found that as soon as I changed to Verizon (like 3 days ago) and got the enV (with a full keyboard and plenty of features.. and much better service everywhere then T-Mobile), I've utilized the texting features 10fold. As soon as things become easier to do or more available to you, it just happens that you will adapt.
[20:21:13] xar: i was just thinking about the time iago came over here and we made this huge bomb and light up the sky for 6 min
[20:21:15] xar: that was funny

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2007, 04:14:11 am »
A phone is a phone. You need it to call people. Want to use the internet? get on a computer

DO YOU WANT ME TO SET YOU ON FIRE FOOLISH ONE?

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2007, 10:13:17 am »

no voicemail ::)?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2007, 12:16:24 pm »
They gave me voicemail for free, and after a couple days I specifically requested that they get rid of it. I hate leaving people messages, and I hate listening to messages left for me.

If somebody calls me, their number will show up on call display. When I see it there, I call them back, unless I hate them. Why spend all the time checking my voicemail, then? I'd rather just talk to them.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2007, 12:19:49 pm »
You'd be surprised how much new features change your current habits. I've found that as soon as I changed to Verizon (like 3 days ago) and got the enV (with a full keyboard and plenty of features.. and much better service everywhere then T-Mobile), I've utilized the texting features 10fold. As soon as things become easier to do or more available to you, it just happens that you will adapt.

I'm not too happy with Verizon. I loooooved T-Mobile, though. I had the first sidekick when I was with them, and could hop on AIM and shit. It made me so happy. Then I had to get rid of it for some POS free Verizon phone.

I'm thinking it's time for another superphone. :P

@ towelie: Yeah, 8GB of iPod is nice. And since I hardly ever use my phone enough to drain the battery to the point where it's nothing (I can go 4+ days easily on a full charge) I figure cycling the battery by draining it listening to music will be nice to keep it in shape. :P

@ iago: I hate voicemail too! And I could care less about photos/videos on my phone. The Safari browser in the iPhone is pretty neat, though.... if I get one I'll post on here more often! :)
- Newby

Offline rabbit

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2007, 12:33:04 pm »
T-Mobile sucks in every way possible.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2007, 12:33:49 pm »
The Safari browser in the iPhone is pretty neat, though....
Except for the vulnerabilities that were found. Rather, that were known before the release and unfixed. :)

Offline rabbit

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2007, 12:51:44 pm »
Safari sucks either way ^^  I personally think Opera is great for mobile internet.  I have it on my DS and Wii, and it's really nice and easy.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2007, 10:32:50 am »
They gave me voicemail for free, and after a couple days I specifically requested that they get rid of it. I hate leaving people messages, and I hate listening to messages left for me.

If somebody calls me, their number will show up on call display. When I see it there, I call them back, unless I hate them. Why spend all the time checking my voicemail, then? I'd rather just talk to them.
i'm the same way. but i like having voicemail for when my phone dies or is off

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2007, 11:30:14 am »
Yeah, that's the only time when voicemail is useful. But it's so rare that I don't care.

When they gave me that free package, they also added a feature that would text me when I turned my phone back on (or returned in range of a tower) and tell me who'd called. That was pretty cool, but I don't even know what it's called..

trust

« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2007, 01:39:55 pm »
I usually don't return a call unless they leave a message. Unless I know them closely (mom, bestfriend, etc.) Usually my mom leaves a nasty message about me not answering the phone and I don't always return my friends call.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2007, 02:24:58 pm »
I can think of a few more situations where voicemail is useful.  If a person tries to call you and is going to be out of contact shortly thereafter, they can leave a message with what they want/need to say without you having to call them back.  Also, I kind of like filtering the calls I return.  If, for example, my friend calls, I'll almost always call them back.  However, if my boss calls, I like to listen to the voicemail message before calling him back.  One last reason I can think of where it's handy is when someone you know is trying to tell you something bad has happened (for example, a friend or relative was in a car accident).  Sure, they can keep trying, but chances are you'll get the voicemail before you get another call from them.  There are probably a few more obvious reasons that voicemail is useful, but I can't think of them now.

That being said, I totally understand why you don't want it.  It nearly forces you to receive a message sent to you, regardless of if you're trying to avoid it or not.  It's rare that it bugs, so its hard to blame it on "the system," I guess.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2007, 02:30:17 pm »
Those are useful reasons, for sure, but to me the negative outweigh the positive. Plus, since it's a cell, it's very, very rare that I miss a call, and if I do I generally call back fairly quickly.

Plus, the only people who ever call me are family and close friends, so I almost always call people back.

The other reason is that I hate leaving messages myself, since I always say the wrong thing or forget what I'm going to say or, if everything else goes well, ramble. So I feel bad making other people do the same. :)

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2007, 05:11:31 pm »
What is the negative,, btw?  That you get messages?

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2007, 03:55:33 pm »
Update: not sure we'll be sticking with AT&T, so I may not pick one up. Shrug. :P
- Newby

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2007, 04:05:24 pm »
That's good, on account of more and more vulnerabilities being found: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/07/24/iphone_security_vulnerability/

It must be a weird change for Apple being the one who's targeted. :)

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2007, 04:06:11 pm »
Sales are down and Apple dropped like, what, 5% today?  No, $5 and 2%?  Either way, sales aren't what they expected

Offline warz

• View Profile
    • chyea.org
« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2007, 11:14:33 am »
I was wondering if the iPhone can play streaming audio from websites? A friend of mine has some Sony smartphone, and it can stream audio feeds like a radio - I kind of like that functionality. I was just wondering if iPhone can do the same...
http://www.chyea.org/ - web based markup debugger

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2007, 01:24:26 pm »
I was wondering if the iPhone can play streaming audio from websites? A friend of mine has some Sony smartphone, and it can stream audio feeds like a radio - I kind of like that functionality. I was just wondering if iPhone can do the same...

I'll try it out and let you know.
- Newby

Offline warz

• View Profile
    • chyea.org
« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2007, 11:18:41 pm »
SO WTF NEWB, CAN IT?!?! The way I see it is if the iPhone is an ipod, pda, phone and radio (streaming internet radio) all in one, it's worth the price, imo. The monthly plan bill is already the same as my current Sprint bill.

Offline rabbit

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 29, 2007, 09:49:02 am »
Then there's also the plan cancellation fee you'll pay to Sprint when you switch.  There's also that new contract you'll have to sign up for with AT&T/Cingular (they LOVE 2 year contracts).

Offline warz

• View Profile
    • chyea.org
« Reply #44 on: July 29, 2007, 10:25:07 am »
Then there's also the plan cancellation fee you'll pay to Sprint when you switch.  There's also that new contract you'll have to sign up for with AT&T/Cingular (they LOVE 2 year contracts).

No. I'm not switching in the middle of my Sprint contract. I've been with Sprint for three years - my two year contract ended a year ago. There's no cancellation fee, as far as I know. The startup costs of switching to a new provider are expected.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 29, 2007, 01:22:38 pm »
SO WTF NEWB, CAN IT?!?! The way I see it is if the iPhone is an ipod, pda, phone and radio (streaming internet radio) all in one, it's worth the price, imo. The monthly plan bill is already the same as my current Sprint bill.

Haven't tried. I almost picked one up yesterday, but the billing system is FUBAR (You can't put an iPhone under your tax ID (business), just your social security, which means a separate bill for each iPhone, which defeats the purpose of moving to AT&T for my dad) so they're trying to work out a deal.

I'll go try it now after I'm done posting and let you know.
- Newby