Author Topic: iPhone  (Read 8615 times)

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
Re: iPhone
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2007, 12:51:44 pm »
Safari sucks either way ^^  I personally think Opera is great for mobile internet.  I have it on my DS and Wii, and it's really nice and easy.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2007, 10:32:50 am »
They gave me voicemail for free, and after a couple days I specifically requested that they get rid of it. I hate leaving people messages, and I hate listening to messages left for me.

If somebody calls me, their number will show up on call display. When I see it there, I call them back, unless I hate them. Why spend all the time checking my voicemail, then? I'd rather just talk to them.
i'm the same way. but i like having voicemail for when my phone dies or is off

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2007, 11:30:14 am »
Yeah, that's the only time when voicemail is useful. But it's so rare that I don't care.

When they gave me that free package, they also added a feature that would text me when I turned my phone back on (or returned in range of a tower) and tell me who'd called. That was pretty cool, but I don't even know what it's called..

trust

« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2007, 01:39:55 pm »
I usually don't return a call unless they leave a message. Unless I know them closely (mom, bestfriend, etc.) Usually my mom leaves a nasty message about me not answering the phone and I don't always return my friends call.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2007, 02:24:58 pm »
I can think of a few more situations where voicemail is useful.  If a person tries to call you and is going to be out of contact shortly thereafter, they can leave a message with what they want/need to say without you having to call them back.  Also, I kind of like filtering the calls I return.  If, for example, my friend calls, I'll almost always call them back.  However, if my boss calls, I like to listen to the voicemail message before calling him back.  One last reason I can think of where it's handy is when someone you know is trying to tell you something bad has happened (for example, a friend or relative was in a car accident).  Sure, they can keep trying, but chances are you'll get the voicemail before you get another call from them.  There are probably a few more obvious reasons that voicemail is useful, but I can't think of them now.

That being said, I totally understand why you don't want it.  It nearly forces you to receive a message sent to you, regardless of if you're trying to avoid it or not.  It's rare that it bugs, so its hard to blame it on "the system," I guess.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2007, 02:30:17 pm »
Those are useful reasons, for sure, but to me the negative outweigh the positive. Plus, since it's a cell, it's very, very rare that I miss a call, and if I do I generally call back fairly quickly.

Plus, the only people who ever call me are family and close friends, so I almost always call people back.

The other reason is that I hate leaving messages myself, since I always say the wrong thing or forget what I'm going to say or, if everything else goes well, ramble. So I feel bad making other people do the same. :)

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2007, 05:11:31 pm »
What is the negative,, btw?  That you get messages?

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2007, 03:55:33 pm »
Update: not sure we'll be sticking with AT&T, so I may not pick one up. Shrug. :P
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2007, 04:05:24 pm »
That's good, on account of more and more vulnerabilities being found: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/07/24/iphone_security_vulnerability/

It must be a weird change for Apple being the one who's targeted. :)

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2007, 04:06:11 pm »
Sales are down and Apple dropped like, what, 5% today?  No, $5 and 2%?  Either way, sales aren't what they expected

Offline warz

• View Profile
    • chyea.org
« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2007, 11:14:33 am »
I was wondering if the iPhone can play streaming audio from websites? A friend of mine has some Sony smartphone, and it can stream audio feeds like a radio - I kind of like that functionality. I was just wondering if iPhone can do the same...
http://www.chyea.org/ - web based markup debugger

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2007, 01:24:26 pm »
I was wondering if the iPhone can play streaming audio from websites? A friend of mine has some Sony smartphone, and it can stream audio feeds like a radio - I kind of like that functionality. I was just wondering if iPhone can do the same...

I'll try it out and let you know.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline warz

• View Profile
    • chyea.org
« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2007, 11:18:41 pm »
SO WTF NEWB, CAN IT?!?! The way I see it is if the iPhone is an ipod, pda, phone and radio (streaming internet radio) all in one, it's worth the price, imo. The monthly plan bill is already the same as my current Sprint bill.

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 29, 2007, 09:49:02 am »
Then there's also the plan cancellation fee you'll pay to Sprint when you switch.  There's also that new contract you'll have to sign up for with AT&T/Cingular (they LOVE 2 year contracts).

Offline warz

• View Profile
    • chyea.org
« Reply #44 on: July 29, 2007, 10:25:07 am »
Then there's also the plan cancellation fee you'll pay to Sprint when you switch.  There's also that new contract you'll have to sign up for with AT&T/Cingular (they LOVE 2 year contracts).

No. I'm not switching in the middle of my Sprint contract. I've been with Sprint for three years - my two year contract ended a year ago. There's no cancellation fee, as far as I know. The startup costs of switching to a new provider are expected.