Author Topic: Advertisements IN the NT kernel?  (Read 3906 times)

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
Advertisements IN the NT kernel?
« on: July 14, 2007, 01:25:22 am »
http://slashdot.org/articles/07/07/14/043200.shtml

At this point it looks really vague and could be FUD... but I can honestly say: if the summary reads true, what the fuck?

I'll be back to Linux in no time if this goes through! Hell, maybe I'll just do FreeBSD for my desktop system. :)

Although it looks like a flavor of Linux has already tried this. I guess since the flavor never really got huge it got no criticism. :P
« Last Edit: July 14, 2007, 01:27:33 am by Newby »
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
Re: Advertisements IN the NT kernel?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2007, 10:04:06 am »
I might be ok with that if and only if the OS is then free.

Some day Google is going to release an OS that will be free and, likely, ad-supported, and I don't think that's such a terrible thing.

Offline BigAznDaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2007, 10:55:59 am »
dude thats gay. there is no way that can happen cause countless people would switch to linux or what not. cause lets face it most of computer users today are pirates.

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2007, 03:28:04 pm »
It's in the kernel?

The kernel doesn't really present stuff to the user.

Are you sure it's not part of usermode?
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2007, 03:57:42 pm »

It may be something for advertisements in crap like MSN Messenger and such. Perhaps it's added into the kernel to make it faster? And so you really can't remove it? Who knows..
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2007, 06:31:37 am »

It may be something for advertisements in crap like MSN Messenger and such. Perhaps it's added into the kernel to make it faster? And so you really can't remove it? Who knows..
MSN Messenger isn't even allowed to access the kernel.  The kernel is where device drivers live.
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline nslay

• Giraffe meat, mmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2007, 12:41:08 am »
It wouldn't make sense to embed this in the kernel, its a userspace application.  Besides, its only speculation what Microsoft will do with the idea...we don't know for sure if Advertisement Service Architecture is included in any version of Windows.  Even so, it is creepy that Microsoft would patent the idea but perhaps its intent is to prevent its use at all.  Perhaps Microsoft could sue spyware developers for patent infringement.  Let's keep in mind Microsoft is attempting to take security into its own hands and this could very well be its intent in the patent ... but I really doubt it.
On the bright side, if they do include ASA in the OS, the belief that Windows is a virus will carry some weight :)
An adorable giant isopod!