Announcements > [x86] Announcements

Forum Errors

(1/8) > >>

iago:
So sometime last night, the forum crapped itself. I have no idea why, but the Settings.php file and Settings_bak.php files ended up empty. Don't ask me why the backup file is broken at the same time as the main one, there are some things that Man was not meant to know.

In any case, I did a fresh install of SMF and copied the settings file back, modified the DB stuff and, after I reset the DB password (how was I supposed to remember what it was? :) ), it seems almost perfect.

The only problem was that some of the categories moved a little. So I fixed that. So far I haven't noticed any other problems, but let me know if you do.

The DB seems to be unaffected, so that's a plus. The latest backup I have is yesterday morning so I didn't really want to roll it back.

If you see any problems, post it here and me (or one of the other leaders) will take care of it as quickly as possible!

chuck:
Just out of curiosity, are you monitoring the server after this for suspicious activity? I doubt its that, its probably just php crashing when someone was setting the settings, but better safe than sorry...

iago:
I used to, for educational reasons. Now I just back it up every day and pray :P

I don't think it was anything malicious, though, although I did do most of the forensic work at 6:30 this morning :)

Sidoh:

--- Quote from: chuck on July 24, 2007, 12:31:22 pm ---Just out of curiosity, are you monitoring the server after this for suspicious activity? I doubt its that, its probably just php crashing when someone was setting the settings, but better safe than sorry...

--- End quote ---

Setting the settings, what?  I don't think SMF attempts to modify its Setting files outside of the installation process. :S

iago:
If that were true, why did that file end up empty? 

I really don't know what happened, but whatever. Hopefully it won't happen again :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version