Author Topic: New Laptop  (Read 10528 times)

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
New Laptop
« on: July 29, 2007, 04:46:13 pm »
3.5 fucking weeks later they tell me that they can't fix it and that they're just going to exchange it :rolleyes:

What do I want from BestBuy?  Maybe just $850 sound system?

Offline Killer360

• View Profile
Re: New Laptop
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2007, 04:53:32 pm »
Yep, that sounds like BestBuy.

I've heard Future Shop is even worse for being slow.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2007, 04:54:40 pm »
Maybe a Sony laptop?  The macs are all way out of my $900 price range :(

Do I want to get the extended warranty again?  It saved me the first time and I got it this time ($250) but didnt use it cause the computer fucking blew in less than a year

I'm just damn pissed with these jews in general  >:( >:( >:(

Offline Killer360

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2007, 05:00:03 pm »
Maybe a Sony laptop?  The macs are all way out of my $900 price range :(

Do I want to get the extended warranty again?  It saved me the first time and I got it this time ($250) but didnt use it cause the computer fucking blew in less than a year

I'm just damn pissed with these jews in general  >:( >:( >:(
Extended warranty is always best. The good thing about Best Buy is that they usually have noob-ass managers working there so if you don't get the extended warranty and go out of your original warranty and something goes wrong you just take it back and get mad and start yelling and threaten to sue if you don't get it fixed for free. :)

What kind of laptop did you originally have?

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2007, 05:02:18 pm »
I wouldn't get a laptop without extended warranty, that's just asking for trouble. Laptops are way too easy to break. Same goes for digital cameras. Everything else, I wouldn't get it.

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2007, 05:07:13 pm »
3.5 fucking weeks later they tell me that they can't fix it and that they're just going to exchange it :rolleyes:

What do I want from BestBuy?  Maybe just $850 sound system?
Hahaha....that's nothing.  Gateway has "fixed" my dad's laptop 9 times, and now they are just giving up and giving us a new one.  One time they said there was "spill damage".  Basically, they replaced the motherboard and harddrive, and sent it back to us.  We turned it on, it crashed a few times, we sent it back.  Then they said there was "spill damage".  Gateway sucks.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2007, 06:48:20 pm »
Gateway sucks?  Maybe I'll take this: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8408109&type=product&productCategoryId=pcmcat103700050019&id=1181347957957 back then

That's really all that they had in my price range that wasnt an AMD that I liked :-\
HP all had AMD, Sony's layout was stupid, Toshiba was stupid like Sony.  Gateway seemed to be the best of the selection...and a horrible selection it was

Offline rabbit

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2007, 07:10:45 pm »
Gateway fails at everything.

Offline Ergot

• 吴立峰 ^_^ !
  • x86
  • I steal bandwidth. p_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2007, 08:12:45 pm »
Gateway sucks?  Maybe I'll take this: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8408109&type=product&productCategoryId=pcmcat103700050019&id=1181347957957 back then

That's really all that they had in my price range that wasnt an AMD that I liked :-\
HP all had AMD, Sony's layout was stupid, Toshiba was stupid like Sony.  Gateway seemed to be the best of the selection...and a horrible selection it was
You need to shop some where with better selection :\
Who gives a damn? I fuck sheep all the time.
And yes, male both ends.  There are a couple lesbians that need a two-ended dildo...My router just refuses to wear a strap-on.
(05:55:03) JoE ThE oDD: omfg good job i got a boner thinkin bout them chinese bitches
(17:54:15) Sidoh: I love cosmetology

trust

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2007, 08:45:19 pm »
A Mac is only $100 more. Worth it IMO.

Offline Killer360

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2007, 08:48:15 pm »
Not rly.  :P

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2007, 09:09:12 pm »

You need to shop some where with better selection :\
I cant.  I have $900 at bestbuy....

trust

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2007, 10:06:38 pm »

He wouldn't be having all of this support run-around if he had a Mac. Apple's support is, in most cases, awesome.

Offline rabbit

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2007, 10:32:58 pm »

He wouldn't be having all of this support run-around if he had a Mac. Apple's support is, in most cases, awesome.
Too bad their product sucks so horribly.

trust

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2007, 11:17:28 pm »

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2007, 11:35:29 pm »

they're all fucking jews.  if I could build my own from scratch I would

Offline Rule

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2007, 11:13:35 pm »
What's wrong with AMD?

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2007, 11:36:05 pm »
I've heard that AMD chips run faster but hotter, so they're bad for laptops. But that may have changed.

Offline zorm

• View Profile
    • Zorm's Page
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2007, 11:40:53 pm »

Yeah, until you lose/break the AC adapter for your laptop and have to drop $80 for a new one. It all comes with a price, and in Apple's case its insanely high.
"Frustra fit per plura quod potest fieri per pauciora"
- William of Ockham

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2007, 12:28:45 am »
I've heard that AMD chips run faster but hotter, so they're bad for laptops. But that may have changed.
nope, they still burn out on laptops :(
I learned this the hard way

Offline Ergot

• 吴立峰 ^_^ !
  • x86
  • I steal bandwidth. p_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2007, 02:55:22 am »
They're bad for traveling laptops, but as a desktop replacement they're not bad. I still wouldn't recommend anyone get an AMD over an Intel on a laptop for now.
Who gives a damn? I fuck sheep all the time.
And yes, male both ends.  There are a couple lesbians that need a two-ended dildo...My router just refuses to wear a strap-on.
(05:55:03) JoE ThE oDD: omfg good job i got a boner thinkin bout them chinese bitches
(17:54:15) Sidoh: I love cosmetology

trust

« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2007, 04:03:01 pm »

Yeah, until you lose/break the AC adapter for your laptop and have to drop $80 for a new one. It all comes with a price, and in Apple's case its insanely high.

Been there done that, but not with my Mac...so it's not just Apple. My replacement was about $100 btw.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2007, 04:17:51 pm »
My cord on a/c broke w/in 1yr man. warranty and they just mailed me a new one, no cost. 

So.....toshiba or gateway!?

Offline Killer360

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2007, 01:40:15 pm »
I've had bad experiences with Toshiba...

Offline Rule

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2007, 03:08:11 pm »
And I've had great experiences with Toshiba...

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2007, 03:50:12 pm »
well, I kept the gateway.

DWM.exe is a MEMORY FUCKING WHORE. (vista desktop manager)
That + FireFox = SHIT  >:(  Maybe I'll buy another gig of Ram

Offline rabbit

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2007, 02:36:09 am »
It's not DWM, it's the Gateway.  Gateways are terrible.

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2007, 09:34:56 am »
well, I kept the gateway.

DWM.exe is a MEMORY FUCKING WHORE. (vista desktop manager)
That + FireFox = SHIT  >:(  Maybe I'll buy another gig of Ram

Task Manager is NOT an accurate representation of memory consumption. It includes shared memory when it displays the information. Even so, when the DWM is running the old subsystem in place for legacy reasons (Windows XP's rendering stuff basically) is turned off. I'm willing to bet that they take up about the same amount of memory if not more by a small margin.

Unused memory is wasted memory, as stated before the memory manager on Vista will cede priority to Applications which need it (ReadyBoost and SuperFetch come to mind as ones that would free up their memory to give to a hungry application)
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2007, 10:16:53 am »
my hp laptop and desktop suggest that dwm is using alot of memory too

thanks warrior

Offline Skywing

• View Profile
    • Nynaeve
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2007, 10:43:11 am »
Actually, the new rendering model is significantly more memory intensive as it is based on something akin to buffering each individually rendered window (though it will try to buffer in video memory before system memory).  The previous model is very optimized for low memory consumption and in general simply redraws where needed instead of using buffered or cached data (though there are some previsions to do this, they aren't the default or the typical case).

There are disadvantages to the old model when it comes to simply not being able to do things like the kind of visual effects presented by the graphics system when in WDDM mode.  If you're worried about it's memory usage and don't care for the extra visual effects, then I'd recommend turning off Aero.

You cannot, however, have a free lunch - if you want the flashy visual effects, then you'll need to be willing to sacrifice video memory (and eventually RAM after that fills) for buffering for WDDM/Aero.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2007, 10:46:12 am »
mk, thanks.

Any suggestions for finding correct keyboard drivers?  The best I could find was a multimedia driver from 2001...that's whack, man.

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2007, 11:10:01 am »
You cannot, however, have a free lunch - if you want the flashy visual effects, then you'll need to be willing to sacrifice video memory (and eventually RAM after that fills) for buffering for WDDM/Aero.

This is true, it virtualizes the GPU memory for each of the Window's content. I'm not sure what the average load would be in an ideal situation though so this may vary greatly depending on how much memory your video card has.
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2007, 07:03:13 pm »
Not sure what you want/if you're going to get it, but I ran across this on my Newegg package that arrived today:

"The Affordable Gaming Notebook"

For the buck, that looks like quite a bit of bang. I'm honestly thinking about getting it... but we'll see.

EDIT -- And for $81, you can easily move that up to 2GB of memory. And even yet, for $240, 4GB. And you can double your hard-drive space for a mere $250. But 100GB should be good for a notebook. It's not like it's replacing your desktop..
« Last Edit: August 01, 2007, 07:13:43 pm by Newby »
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline abc

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2007, 08:21:14 pm »
GeForce 7600 graphics card sucks IMO.. I recently bought a computer from staples, and has that card, with 1GB ram and I'm getting such a low FPS rate in Counter-Strike Source, and WoW isn't even really playable.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2007, 12:33:04 am »
GeForce 7600 graphics card sucks IMO.. I recently bought a computer from staples, and has that card, with 1GB ram and I'm getting such a low FPS rate in Counter-Strike Source, and WoW isn't even really playable.

Could be the processor... could be a multitude of things. 256MB VRAM gets me an amazing framerate on my desktop machine for CS:S and WoW, and the card in the laptop has the same amount. I also have 1GB RAM and a 3.4 GHz 32bit processor.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline while1

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2007, 03:40:02 am »

thanks warrior
There real question is... there exists people with three legit copies of Vista?!  I learn new amazing things everyday!

I tend to edit my topics and replies frequently.

http://www.operationsmile.org

Offline abc

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2007, 09:43:48 pm »

Could be the processor... could be a multitude of things. 256MB VRAM gets me an amazing framerate on my desktop machine for CS:S and WoW, and the card in the laptop has the same amount. I also have 1GB RAM and a 3.4 GHz 32bit processor.

I'm too lazy to look at the stuff on it now, but I know it's an HP Running Windows XP Media Center, with AMD Dual Core.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2007, 12:57:09 am »

thanks warrior
There real question is... there exists people with three legit copies of Vista?!  I learn new amazing things everyday!

I have 'em now ;)
For only the price of ... 2, I guess.

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2007, 04:17:03 am »

thanks warrior

No, there exist 60 million people with legal copies of Vista according to Microsoft's quarterly earnings.

Offline Killer360

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2007, 04:52:30 pm »
Are you fucking kidding me? I have a 7600GT and I play source perfectly with a good FPS.

I play BF2 on medium settings, and WoW runs very well. I'd return that computer if I were you.