Author Topic: chacha.com  (Read 2501 times)

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
chacha.com
« on: August 05, 2007, 02:14:38 pm »
This is somewhat old, but there's a site called chacha.com. Basically, it's a search engine that's "people powered" -- basically, you get into a chatroom with one of their "search experts", tell them what you want to find, and they, basically, Google for it and give you the top answers.

It seems that some people enjoy screwing with these search people. See some fun stuff on worsethanfailure.com and on somethingawful.com. It's pretty funny to read. :)

Here's a good one:
    ChristineG: Hi there. I will be helping with your search.
    ChristineG: Hello there.
    You: Hello I am looking for a store in Texas that sells a number of different items
    ChristineG: How can I help you today?
    ChristineG: ok....
    ChristineG: Let's start with one.
    ChristineG: bin bags?
    You: I am landscaping you see. I need a store that sells Shovels, Some sturdy bin bags to carry several hundred pounds...of dirt, some quicklime to disolve the damaged soil , some cutting apparatus for small bushes, I guess a meatcleaver would work best. Thank you
    ChristineG: Ah....ok.
    ChristineG: Is this mail order or do you need to pick it up?
    You: Also I may need some rope for. trying up some of the bags
    You: I would prefer to pick it up I would not like to give out my current living addess.
    ChristineG: Where are you located?
    You: I cannot say exactly but around Austin. I would prefer not to cross state lines to find this store if possible thank you christine
    ChristineG: Sure...let me check that out for you.
    You: If you cannot find 1 store that does all of that then dividing it between 2 stores that are very close to each other is fine.
    ChristineG: ok....
    ChristineG: Are you interested in a store like Home Depot?
    You: yes something like that however the only place i have found only sold the shovel and rape
    Christine: Pardon?
    You: sorry i meant rope
    ChristineG: First let me give you this page then I will search for the specific items
    You: ok
    You: ah that link I have found another of stores near me. I think this may do
    ChristineG: Great...
    ChristineG: I was checking to see what they had.
    ChristineG: You might have to call them. But they usually have everything that you need.
    You: I searched for austin texas in their box. They have everything i think
    You: thank you so much for your help I wont forget your good deed ChristineG
    ChristineG: Great!
    ChristineG: Well ty for ChaChaing!
    ChristineG: Thanks for using ChaCha! I hope you had a great search experience!

Offline Quik

• Webmaster Guy
  • x86
  • \x51 \x75 \x69 \x6B \x5B \x78 \x38 \x36 \x5D
    • View Profile
Re: chacha.com
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2007, 02:43:26 pm »
I've seen some funny ones on one of the forums I frequent. They really like to fuck with these people. And for good reason! They get paid to google shit and chat.
[20:21:13] xar: i was just thinking about the time iago came over here and we made this huge bomb and light up the sky for 6 min
[20:21:15] xar: that was funny

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2007, 03:06:24 pm »
Actually, most of them don't get paid, it's volunteer work, at least at first. They probably enjoy being screwed with, though, I know I'd have a great time doing that job. :)

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2007, 07:34:23 pm »
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT.