Author Topic: Suggestions on Quantum Computing books...  (Read 2707 times)

Offline while1

• x86
    • View Profile
Suggestions on Quantum Computing books...
« on: August 17, 2007, 07:34:44 pm »
Has anyone taken any quantum computing courses?  I know it's a relatively new subject, but I was wondering if there's a good beginner books on the subject.  I don't know much about the subject but just knowing that in a quantum computer, bits can be both 0 and 1 at the same time, I'm interested in learning more.
I tend to edit my topics and replies frequently.

http://www.operationsmile.org

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
Re: Suggestions on Quantum Computing books...
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 07:30:07 pm »
Has anyone taken any quantum computing courses?  I know it's a relatively new subject, but I was wondering if there's a good beginner books on the subject.  I don't know much about the subject but just knowing that in a quantum computer, bits can be both 0 and 1 at the same time, I'm interested in learning more.
I would be surprised if there were courses offered at anything below postgraduate levels.
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 07:55:41 pm »
I would be surprised if there were courses offered at anything below postgraduate levels.
Actually, the university I went to offered it as a 4th year course (University of Manitoba, 74.442 I think, which by the new system would be CS4420). I'm not sure if that's commonplace, though.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 08:31:49 pm »
This is painfully obvious, but unless you have a pretty deep understanding of Physics, you'd only be able to grasp the really abstract concepts.

I'm not very familiar with the subject, although I have read a few articles on it.  Most of them were in scientific magazines.  A few were copies that my high school teacher made, so I'm not sure where they came from.  I don't know of any good books on the subject, though.

The CS department at my university doesn't offer a quantum computing course, although there are a bunch of quantum physics courses offered outside of the department.  I would imagine having courses in the area of quantum computing in a CS department would be contingent upon having a professor who has specialized in that area willing to teach the courses (that's obvious, but I'd also imagine that quantum computing experts are a bit rarer than, say, AI experts).

Offline Ender

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2007, 03:33:19 am »

Post-graduate level? Do you mean graduate level? AFAIK, there are very few courses that wouldn't be offered on the graduate level, and this i s not one of them.

I don't know much about quantum computing, but I have a basic knowledge of quantum mechanics (for example, why the bits are 0 and 1 at the same time) from a high school modern physics class. I think it really depends on how technical your knowledge of quantum mechanics must be in order to understand quantum computing. If you only need to understand the concepts, then it could be a first-year course. If you need to understand all the math involved, then I'd wager that it would be an undergrad course for those with 3+ years worth of math and physics under their belt, or a grad-level course that a lot of undergrads take.

This whole conversation has been about a quantum computing course. I'm sure you can also get a good conceptual knowledge of quantum computing without taking a course or knowing all the math involved, just like my high school modern physics class gave a great conceptual overview of modern physics.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 03:36:37 am by Ender »

Offline Chavo

• x86
  • no u
    • View Profile
    • Chavoland
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2007, 08:49:29 am »
Quantum Computing is not generally a CS class and I wouldn't take much stock in the class if it is listed as such.

I don't know how old you are, but your best bet is finding a professor that is doing research in the field, befriend him, and let him know you want to work as a lab assistant.  If he says something about a budget, tell him you will work for free.