Author Topic: how does Ipban work?  (Read 3485 times)

Offline DBX_5

• View Profile
how does Ipban work?
« on: October 18, 2007, 06:55:00 pm »
I just cant really get around to understanding how this command works, this is how I think it works but I have a feeling its wrong

ex: !ipban <usernme>

bot /ban <username> (message)
bot /squelch <username>

then if some one that is squelched by the bot enters the channel it bans them again, how ever I dont understand how its an ip ban really like, when some one gets squealched I thought what it did is just send a packet to bnet saying you dont want this CD keys owner to beable to talk to you intill you log off then back on again.

but I am not a 100% sure....

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
Re: how does Ipban work?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2007, 07:47:33 pm »
IP-bans with bots are really a hack. For some strange reason, Battle.net applies a "squelch" to every user who connects from an IP address. So when a user is squelched, every user connecting from that address is also squelched. This allows bots to determine who is on the same IP by squelching them, with the side effect of banning any other users who are squelched/ignored.

Make sense?

Offline DBX_5

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2007, 08:46:40 pm »
yea thats kinda what I thought happened with it.

Offline Camel

• View Profile
    • BNU Bot
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2007, 01:39:24 am »
IP-bans with bots are really a hack. For some strange reason, Battle.net applies a "squelch" to every user who connects from an IP address. So when a user is squelched, every user connecting from that address is also squelched. This allows bots to determine who is on the same IP by squelching them, with the side effect of banning any other users who are squelched/ignored.

Make sense?

I believe a reasonable explanation is that battle.net uses buckets by ip address; that would also explain how they limit each ip address to 8 connections (unless, of course, you log in to a bunch of different servers at the same time - also works for using the same cd key repeatedly).

<Camel> i said what what
<Blaze> in the butt
<Camel> you want to do it in my butt?
<Blaze> in my butt
<Camel> let's do it in the butt
<Blaze> Okay!

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2007, 10:52:18 am »
I believe a reasonable explanation is that battle.net uses buckets by ip address; that would also explain how they limit each ip address to 8 connections (unless, of course, you log in to a bunch of different servers at the same time - also works for using the same cd key repeatedly).
That isn't an explanation of anything, it's just a note on its possible implementation. If they were forced to do things by IP, then every ban (and everything else) would be IP-based.

Offline Camel

• View Profile
    • BNU Bot
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2007, 03:38:10 am »
I thoguht bans were IP based. That is to say, any login following the ban from the same ip will be banned as well. Is this not the case? I'd try it and check, but it's late and I'm tired :)

<Camel> i said what what
<Blaze> in the butt
<Camel> you want to do it in my butt?
<Blaze> in my butt
<Camel> let's do it in the butt
<Blaze> Okay!

Offline Joe

• B&
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2007, 04:34:31 am »
I thoguht bans were IP based. That is to say, any login following the ban from the same ip will be banned as well. Is this not the case? I'd try it and check, but it's late and I'm tired :)

Normal bans (channel operator /ban) is CD-Key based.
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2007, 10:58:27 am »

Normal bans (channel operator /ban) is CD-Key based.

Yep, that's correct.