Author Topic: OiNK'D! Huge pirate music site shut down  (Read 4952 times)

Offline GameSnake

• News hound
    • View Profile
OiNK'D! Huge pirate music site shut down
« on: October 24, 2007, 09:47:34 pm »
British and Dutch police have shut down a "widely-used" source of illegally-downloaded music.
A flat on Teesside and several properties in Amsterdam were raided as part of an Interpol investigation into the members-only website OiNK.

The UK-run site has leaked 60 major pre-release albums this year alone, said the International Federation of the Phonographic Industry (IFPI).

A 24-year-old man from Middlesbrough was arrested on Tuesday morning.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/tees/7057812.stm]Read Article.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
Re: OiNK'D! Huge pirate music site shut down
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2007, 10:14:21 pm »
Sad stuff. :/
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2007, 10:15:33 pm »
So.. what countries in the world are still safe havens for music piracy?
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2007, 10:22:06 pm »
Sweden? :P
- Newby

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Camel

• View Profile
    • BNU Bot
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2007, 12:28:08 am »
I still refuse to believe it.

And I was getting so close to having more invites.

<Camel> i said what what
<Blaze> in the butt
<Camel> you want to do it in my butt?
<Blaze> in my butt
<Camel> let's do it in the butt
<Blaze> Okay!

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2007, 12:49:04 am »
Glad I didnt use it much :-\?

Offline Killer360

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2007, 02:58:29 pm »
Fack the RIAA/MPAA.

Offline Towelie

• pwnstar
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2007, 06:32:00 pm »
www.oink.cd

hahhahaha. Check the site out now :)

Offline Armin

• Honorary Leader
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2007, 07:27:30 pm »
Back when the page was run by whoever took it down, it mentioned criminal investigations of the website's users. How legitimate are these threats? I'm contemplating backing up everything I downloaded to DVD, and wiping my hard drive to an extent that data cannot be recovered until everything clears up. IIRC, my ISP (Cox) attempts to prevent illegal file sharing, and am not sure if they would comply with who ever is running the investigation, or if all of that is confidential. Does anyone have any insight upon this?
Hitmen: art is gay

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2007, 08:52:30 pm »
Back when the page was run by whoever took it down, it mentioned criminal investigations of the website's users. How legitimate are these threats? I'm contemplating backing up everything I downloaded to DVD, and wiping my hard drive to an extent that data cannot be recovered until everything clears up. IIRC, my ISP (Cox) attempts to prevent illegal file sharing, and am not sure if they would comply with who ever is running the investigation, or if all of that is confidential. Does anyone have any insight upon this?

Logs are not incriminating enough.
- Newby

Offline Camel

• View Profile
    • BNU Bot
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2007, 11:51:52 am »

I do believe that is called paranoia.

Why do you think you are safer with your illegal files on a dvd instead of your harddrive?

Also, it costs thousands of dollars to recover deleted files from a hard disk. It is very rarely done, even in criminal cases.

<Camel> i said what what
<Blaze> in the butt
<Blaze> in my butt
<Blaze> Okay!

Offline Armin

• Honorary Leader
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2007, 03:37:15 pm »
I do believe that is called paranoia.

Why do you think you are safer with your illegal files on a dvd instead of your harddrive?

Also, it costs thousands of dollars to recover deleted files from a hard disk. It is very rarely done, even in criminal cases.
Most file systems only remove the link to data. You would need a piece of software that incinerates the data, meaning to overwrite it multiple times. Depending on how many times you overwrite it, the data in question can be recovered by either free software or likely expensive hardware. IIRC, 7 passes makes software undeletion impossible, and 21 passes makes hardware undeletion impossible.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_remanence
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Undeletion
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_deletion

Under the Fourth Amendment searches must be reasonable and specific. This means that a search warrant must be specific as to the specified object to be searched for and the place to be searched. Other items, rooms, outbuildings, persons, vehicles, etc. would require a second search warrant. I would hide the DVDs in an irrelevant area until I felt enough time had gone by.

With thousands of dollars on the line, I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Logs are not incriminating enough.
I know logs aren't incriminating enough to send me a fine on the spot, but I'd like to know if they're incriminating enough to provide investigators with a warrant, especially if my ISP complies with investigators.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2007, 07:17:11 pm by Metal Militia »

Offline Killer360

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2007, 02:45:20 pm »
I heard yesterday that The Pirate Bay was going to be reviving it and calling it something like Zoink or something like that. I'll find the article when I get home.

Offline Camel

• View Profile
    • BNU Bot
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2007, 03:52:46 pm »
Most file systems only remove the link to data. You would need a piece of software that incinerates the data, meaning to overwrite it multiple times. Depending on how many times you overwrite it, the data in question can be recovered by either free software or likely expensive hardware. IIRC, 7 passes makes software undeletion impossible, and 21 passes makes hardware undeletion impossible.

If you don't know where the file begins and ends, you need to do heuristic analysis of the data on the disk, period. Even if the file is still fully intact, you'd have to know a lot about it to find it.

More likely, however, since disks are accessed pseudo-randomly, the place where the deleted file resided would be overwritten by new data, unless the computer was unplugged immediately following the flush() following the file deletion. In this case, and I might add that you'd have to go to extraordinary measures to avoid this case, you'd need to analyze the disk using the theory of hysteresis to recover the overwritten data.

<Camel> i said what what
<Blaze> in the butt
<Blaze> in my butt
<Blaze> Okay!

Offline Armin

• Honorary Leader
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2007, 04:51:52 pm »

If you don't know where the file begins and ends, you need to do heuristic analysis of the data on the disk, period. Even if the file is still fully intact, you'd have to know a lot about it to find it.

More likely, however, since disks are accessed pseudo-randomly, the place where the deleted file resided would be overwritten by new data, unless the computer was unplugged immediately following the flush() following the file deletion. In this case, and I might add that you'd have to go to extraordinary measures to avoid this case, you'd need to analyze the disk using the theory of hysteresis to recover the overwritten data.
"But even overwriting the disk with something else or formatting it does not guarantee that the sensitive data is completely unrecoverable. To deal with this, there are programs that write random data to the target regions on the disk many times over and over, so making data recovery unlikely."
I used to own a piece of software called System Mechanic that did all of this, and it didn't even require an intense load on the CPU or hard drive.