Author Topic: Downtime this weekend  (Read 14170 times)

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
Re: Downtime this weekend
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2007, 06:49:56 pm »
Probably in 2-3 hours from now (around 8 - 9pm CST). Shouldn't take more than a half hour, if all goes according to plan.

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2007, 09:04:32 pm »
8:04 CST. Any second now.
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2007, 11:34:23 pm »
I think I did it shortly after 9. Oh well!

Either way, it's 10:33 CST and it's back up and working. Thank God!

Let me know if you notice any speed difference, especially a negative one. If I find it's slower on this ISP, I'll change back to the ISP I used to use.

<edit> I just added a 12gb backup drive for the database, so I no longer have to worry about it running out of harddrive and crashing every 2 weeks if I forget to clean up old backups. So now if you get the "could not connect to database server" error, you'll know it's something horrible!
« Last Edit: November 17, 2007, 11:55:06 pm by iago »

Offline Killer360

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2007, 12:20:09 am »
Congrats! You got it done!  ;D :D :P

Although I keep getting this error when I reply to threads.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2007, 12:22:11 am »
Hmm, that'd odd, you should be banned completely!

Just joking, I have no idea what's causing that, I'll check the error log.

<edit> didn't have to, it seems that admins get better error messages:
Can't create/write to file '/tmp/#sql_802_0.MYI' (Errcode: 13)
File: /web/x86/web/forum/Sources/Subs-Post.php
Line: 1410

I made /tmp a separate partition, but forgot to give it full read/write permissions. Should be fixed now. 

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2007, 02:26:10 am »
It seems incredibly faster.
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline Killer360

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2007, 09:33:00 am »
It seems incredibly faster.
Yup. MTS sucks. Too bad I'm still stuck with them. :(

Also, I believe iago went with the highspeed connection, which is 5MB. MTS's highspeed is only 3MB. The highest MTS offers is 5MB.  ;) And that's something like $60/m and that's what I'm forced to be using now.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2007, 09:35:42 am by Killer360 »

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2007, 09:47:49 am »
I got Shaw's medium-speed connection. I didn't think that the Extreme one was worth the ridiculous price.

The one thing I don't like about Shaw is that they have a bandwidth cap, whereas MTS doesn't.

Offline Hitmen

• B&
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2007, 12:16:10 pm »
Also, I believe iago went with the highspeed connection, which is 5MB. MTS's highspeed is only 3MB. The highest MTS offers is 5MB.  ;) And that's something like $60/m and that's what I'm forced to be using now.
Wow, I thought the US had it rough when it came to broadband, and you guys live in a city....
(22:15:39) Newby: it hurts to swallow

Offline chuck

• Canadian Biathlete
    • View Profile
    • Chucks Blog
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2007, 12:23:06 pm »
I got Shaw's medium-speed connection. I didn't think that the Extreme one was worth the ridiculous price.

The one thing I don't like about Shaw is that they have a bandwidth cap, whereas MTS doesn't.
Did you get a residential connection? If so you may want to look at their AUP...

The residential Shaw Services are designed for personal Internet use. You may not use the residential Shaw Services for commercial purposes. You may not run a server in connection with the Shaw Services nor may you provide network services to others via the Shaw Services. Examples of prohibited servers and services include, but are not limited to, mail, http, ftp, irc, dhcp servers, and multi-user interactive forums. Some business services may be exempt from these limitations.
Chucks Blog
JavaOp2 Plugins

Error, keyboard not connected. Press F1 to continue.

Offline Killer360

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2007, 01:05:08 pm »

Did you get a residential connection? If so you may want to look at their AUP...

The residential Shaw Services are designed for personal Internet use. You may not use the residential Shaw Services for commercial purposes. You may not run a server in connection with the Shaw Services nor may you provide network services to others via the Shaw Services. Examples of prohibited servers and services include, but are not limited to, mail, http, ftp, irc, dhcp servers, and multi-user interactive forums. Some business services may be exempt from these limitations.
That's bullshit. You can still easily host an HTTP server with them.

A person I know, who has hosted an HTTP server on his residential shaw connection for approximately 3 or 4 years has never had any problems.

Wow, I thought the US had it rough when it came to broadband, and you guys live in a city....
Yes, Canada does have shitty broadband. My school, which has hundreds of computers in it, only has a shitty 7MB connection cause that's the highest MTS offers (even for businesses).

I'm pretty close to that right now..

So I'm OK. But many other people who are paying normal prices aren't. ;)

« Last Edit: November 18, 2007, 01:13:27 pm by Killer360 »

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2007, 01:51:49 pm »

Yeah, I'm aware, MTS has similar restrictions. If Shaw wants to complain about it, I'll just change to MTS. If MTS complains, I'll find another ISP (there's one other here, a long-range wireless one, I forget what they're called).

Offline Skywing

• View Profile
    • Nynaeve
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2007, 02:14:29 pm »
Very poor performance at ~1p central time today.  However, doesn't look like a net problem for me right now, last responding hop is reasonable (<100ms).  Perhaps the box is/was just loaded?

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2007, 02:16:44 pm »
It's possible. It's also a shared line (being cable), so maybe there was a spike of people checking the weather (just started getting blizzard-like conditions) :)

Offline Killer360

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2007, 02:53:24 pm »

Yeah, I'm aware, MTS has similar restrictions. If Shaw wants to complain about it, I'll just change to MTS. If MTS complains, I'll find another ISP (there's one other here, a long-range wireless one, I forget what they're called).
There are two actually.

WiBand - The one you're most likely referring to.
3web - A Shaw reseller, I believe. They sell cheap though.