Author Topic: Transforming the Earth  (Read 2242 times)

Offline d00m

• View Profile
    • AllofTV
Transforming the Earth
« on: December 18, 2007, 12:17:44 am »
http://www.damninteresting.com/?p=926

"...Though it has long been clear that Earth 1.0 is in need of an upgrade, it was not until a few years ago that someone began to take the notion seriously. In 2004, at a respected international design exhibition called the Venice Architecture Biennale, a young artist and architect named Christian Waldvogel displayed his plans for total global annihilation and the creation of Earth 2.0...."

I think this is very, very out landish but a very interesting idea none the less. I don't doubt that one day we will have the technology to do a feat such as this. The only problem I see is the people. I'm positive feuds and tifts will still exist amongst us. How will we keep military forces up without completely killing ourselves before Earth 2.0 is ready? Everything will change as well. Entertainment, religion, weather, medicine, everything. If something like this is ever enacted, I hope I'm dead. I see failure written all over it.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2007, 12:21:40 am by d00m »

Offline Lobo

• x86
  • Ho Ho Ho
    • View Profile
Re: Transforming the Earth
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2007, 04:48:01 am »
lets not get crazy

Offline Armin

• Honorary Leader
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2007, 09:04:56 am »
The most important part of that article that you both seem to be overlooking:
While there is much that is quibble-worthy about the plan– both in engineering terms and in its underlying rationale– Waldvogel makes a good case for the idea as an intellectual and philosophical exercise. He presents his scheme as both an architectural design, and as a thought experiment.
Hitmen: art is gay

Offline d00m

• View Profile
    • AllofTV
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2007, 01:34:02 pm »
...but a very interesting idea none the less.

I know it's just an idea and no where near being thought feasible to start work on. I'm just simply expressing my thoughts on it.

Offline AntiVirus

• Legendary
  • x86
  • Best
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2007, 02:32:21 pm »
...but a very interesting idea none the less.

I know it's just an idea and no where near being thought feasible to start work on. I'm just simply expressing my thoughts on it.
That's where you went wrong.  We don't allow people to express their thoughts on this forum without severe punishment.  [/sarcasm]  :D
The once grove of splendor,
Aforetime crowned by lilac and lily,
Lay now forevermore slender;
And all winds that liven
Silhouette a lone existence;
A leafless oak grasping at eternity.

"They say that I must learn to kill before I can feel safe, but I rather kill myself then turn into their slave."
- The Rasmus