Author Topic: Considering moving back to Linux  (Read 19077 times)

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
Re: Considering moving back to Linux
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2008, 12:24:18 pm »
If you don't want to use Vi, you can use codeblocks.  Also shelling out $300, you can buy the crossplatform Slickedit which provides a VS interface.  IBM provides the latter to employees.

I personally think that vmware is a better solution in his case.

In my opinion, using an IDE is not a good way to learn how to program...the conveniences and code templates are designed for large projects and experienced developers.

Totally agreed, but using an IDE doesn't mean that you have to use all the resources available.  We used Java with Eclipse last semester and we were required to write all of our own data structures, etc.  When I say "we", though, I mean most of the rest of the class.  I dumped eclipse and used vim for most of the class. :)

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2008, 06:18:11 pm »
The intro CS courses use VS just because it's easier for newblets (and my University provides it free, so it's not a big deal).  I'm fine with vim and gcc :\

Anyway, I'll take a look into Gentoo.

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2008, 11:42:07 pm »
Vi?

He means they're using the Microsoft platform for the class, not just the IDE.

What kind of CS class develops on Microsoft platform?  At least, I think thats a bit odd...  Generally when I think CS in academia, I think Unix.

Probably one that wants to use the most advanced language/platform on the planet. :)
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline Newby

• Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2008, 12:01:11 am »
Gentoo's a lot easier to install as of late. So, it shouldn't be too bad. :)
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline nslay

• Giraffe meat, mmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2008, 09:06:03 am »
Vi?

What kind of CS class develops on Microsoft platform?  At least, I think thats a bit odd...  Generally when I think CS in academia, I think Unix.

Probably one that wants to use the most advanced language/platform on the planet. :)

Dream on, you can't even get copying files, and print-to-file correct... Windows is advanced at being fragile and time consuming.  Too bad C++ (implied by "most advanced language") wasn't invented by Microsoft...that would require innovation, instead of copying.  I do have to say Microsoft makes some excellent interfaces for their applications...though I wonder whats behind the scenes when 77.1*850 = 100000.

Read the 'copying files' link, its a pcmag column...I love John C Dvorak...he's a hilarious columnist.
An adorable giant isopod!

Offline Newby

• Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2008, 09:38:17 am »
Dvorak is a nut.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline nslay

• Giraffe meat, mmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2008, 09:48:36 am »
Dvorak is a nut.
Definitely...but he writes funny stuff and his points are legitimate.  I love to read his pc-mag columns...for some reason he reminds of me of a geeky Lewis Black.
An adorable giant isopod!

Offline rabbit

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2008, 05:07:46 pm »
Okay, so since I've already used Fedora before, I figure I'll try out Gentoo for a while first.

Offline Ergot

• 吴立峰 ^_^ !
  • x86
  • I steal bandwidth. p_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2008, 05:38:25 pm »
Okay, so since I've already used Fedora before, I figure I'll try out Gentoo for a while first.
Tell me when you're bored of compiles. :)
Who gives a damn? I fuck sheep all the time.
And yes, male both ends.  There are a couple lesbians that need a two-ended dildo...My router just refuses to wear a strap-on.
(05:55:03) JoE ThE oDD: omfg good job i got a boner thinkin bout them chinese bitches
(17:54:15) Sidoh: I love cosmetology

Offline rabbit

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2008, 05:42:19 pm »
Okay.  Tuesday.

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2008, 07:24:02 pm »
Vi?

Dream on, you can't even get copying files, and print-to-file correct... Windows is advanced at being fragile and time consuming.  Too bad C++ (implied by "most advanced language") wasn't invented by Microsoft...that would require innovation, instead of copying.  I do have to say Microsoft makes some excellent interfaces for their applications...though I wonder whats behind the scenes when 77.1*850 = 100000.

Read the 'copying files' link, its a pcmag column...I love John C Dvorak...he's a hilarious columnist.

If you knew anything about anything, you'd know that rabbit's class is using C++ .NET.
When I said most advanced language and platform I meant the .NET Language family (Mainly C#) and the .NET Platform. Both of which are not specific to Vista.

I also love how you seem to imply that alternatives to Windows do not have bugs, or even that any software does not contain bugs. Unless of course you enjoy sounding like a hypocrite?

Microsoft made 16 billion this quarter, somewhere along the line something is being done correctly. All of this "Vista is a failure", "Vista is not catching on" does not seem to go with what their earnings are reporting :).
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.

Offline rabbit

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2008, 07:27:37 pm »
Well, we're using VS2k5, and C++, but not C++ .Net.  Anyways, Vista is stupid.  It literally breaks some things, at least in C++.  Example: in our lab, 2 in our group had XP, 1 had Ubuntu (ew) and the other had Vista.  We all used the same source.  And it worked for everyone.  Except for the guy with Vista.  He got 20 errors.  He was also using the same build of VS2k5 as me and the other XP guy.

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2008, 07:31:09 pm »
Well, we're using VS2k5, and C++, but not C++ .Net.

Good, C++ .NET really is a pain to use compared to other languages. It has a backwards syntax.

Anyways, Vista is stupid.  It literally breaks some things, at least in C++.  Example: in our lab, 2 in our group had XP, 1 had Ubuntu (ew) and the other had Vista.  We all used the same source.  And it worked for everyone.  Except for the guy with Vista.  He got 20 errors.  He was also using the same build of VS2k5 as me and the other XP guy.

Did you have SP1+Vista Update applied? VS2005 came out almost a full year before Vista, and would have some problems with UAC.

VS2008 is completely free of those issues =).

Offline rabbit

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2008, 07:35:12 pm »
Drexel only offers VS2k3 and 2k5 free, so that's all we use.  I'm not sure if he had SP1 or not, but the point is that it didn't work.

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2008, 07:36:37 pm »
Drexel only offers VS2k3 and 2k5 free, so that's all we use.  I'm not sure if he had SP1 or not, but the point is that it didn't work.

"I didn't install the latest updates to fix bugs in the software, so I'm complaining when those bugs propogate."