Author Topic: Considering moving back to Linux  (Read 19288 times)

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
Considering moving back to Linux
« on: January 22, 2008, 07:28:16 pm »
Right now I'm seriously considering moving back to Linux as my main OS, but I have a few requirements that I need some help on, and all of these I need:
1. to get on the internet (I've never tried wireless on Linux before)
2. to run VS2k5 for my CS classes
3. to print stuff (I've never been able to print stuff to my printer from Linux)
4. to be able to access NTFS formatted drives, and I don't have enough space to backup and reformat the stuff on them!
5. to stream media to my 360
6. to convert video formats AND be able to rip and encode video

So, my basic question is: considering the above, what distro and programs should I/do I need to use?

Offline Newby

• Thrash!
    • View Profile
Re: Considering moving back to Linux
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 07:36:05 pm »
Pick your poison for the distro. If you feel weird about installing stuff (mostly problems with dependencies) go with something like Ubuntu. It's newbie-friendly and well-built. I recommend it.

But I also recommend Slackware and Gentoo. ;P

For wireless? Pray there are native drivers, or use ndiswrapper

VS 2K5? Why not VS 2K8? ;) You can try Wine out, or just use VMware with a Windows VM...

Printing? CUPS! IIRC, Apple just bought them, too.

For NTFS? NTFS-3G seems to work well now.

Streaming media to your 360? No idea. Sorry. :(

Converting video formats? Ripping and encoding videos? mencoder works wonders. Although as far as I know, the native .avi format is only watchable inside mplayer, but I've gotten the .mpg container to work with media center and its extenders... I made a batch script at some point to rip for me. And here it is:

Code: [Select]
REM rip2mpg.bat
REM Author: Newby
REM Description: Rips a DVD for you. Rips to MPEG-2 video for Media Center.
REM NOTES FOR SELF:
REM Merge *.vob into one vob: copy *.vob /B super.vob
REM CON = console, pipe to console.
REM NUL = /dev/null, create there.

@ECHO OFF
CLS

ECHO rip.bat -- Wrapper for MEncoder (http://www.mplayerhq.hu)
SET /P name=Specify the path for the output file (i.e.: c:\tmp\movie.mpg):
ECHO %name% will be the outputted file.
ECHO.
ECHO 1. Single-pass encode (faster, not as good video quality).
ECHO 2. Double-pass encode (slower, best video quality, recommended).
ECHO 3. Triple-pass encode (NOT YET IMPLEMENTED, WILL POSSIBLY BE REMOVED).
CHOICE /C:123 /D:1 /T:5 /N /M "Please choose method of ripping: "

IF ERRORLEVEL 3 GOTO TRIPLE_PASS_RIP
IF ERRORLEVEL 2 GOTO DOUBLE_PASS_RIP
IF ERRORLEVEL 1 GOTO SINGLE_PASS_RIP
GOTO END

:SINGLE_PASS_RIP
ECHO You chose single-pass rip! Ripping now...
ECHO.
MENCODER.EXE dvd://1 -really-quiet -ofps 24000/1001 -oac copy -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg2video:vbitrate=2000:mbd=2:trell:keyint=15 -of mpeg -mpegopts format=dvd -alang en -o "%name%" > NUL
GOTO CHECK

:DOUBLE_PASS_RIP
DEL divx2pass.log 2> NUL
ECHO You chose double-pass rip! Ripping now..
ECHO.
ECHO First pass.. (statistics file)
MENCODER.EXE dvd://1 -really-quiet -ofps 24000/1001 -oac copy -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg2video:vbitrate=2000:mbd=2:trell:keyint=15:vpass=1 -of mpeg -mpegopts format=dvd -alang en -o NUL > NUL
ECHO First pass complete!
ECHO.
ECHO Second pass.. (final output)
MENCODER.EXE dvd://1 -really-quiet -ofps 24000/1001 -oac copy -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg2video:vbitrate=2000:mbd=2:trell:keyint=15:vpass=2 -of mpeg -mpegopts format=dvd -alang en -o "%name%" > NUL
DEL divx2pass.log
GOTO CHECK

:TRIPLE_PASS_RIP
ECHO Triple pass is not yet implemented! Sorry!
GOTO END
REM DEL frameno.avi 2> NUL
REM DEL divx2pass.log 2> NUL
REM ECHO First pass.. (audio track)
REM MENCODER.EXE dvd://1 -ovc frameno -o frameno.avi -oac mp3lame -lameopts aq=0:preset=extreme -alang en
REM ECHO First pass complete!
REM ECHO.
REM ECHO Second pass.. (statistics file)
REM MENCODER.EXE dvd://1 -really-quiet -ofps 24000/1001 -oac copy -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg2video:vbitrate=2000:mbd=2:trell:keyint=15:vpass=1 -of mpeg -mpegopts format=dvd -alang en -o NUL > NUL
REM ECHO Second pass complete!
REM ECHO Third pass.. (final output)
REM MENCODER.EXE dvd://1 -really-quiet -ofps 24000/1001 -oac copy -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg2video:vbitrate=2000:mbd=2:trell:keyint=15:vpass=1 -of mpeg -mpegopts format=dvd -alang en -o temporary.mpg > NUL
REM MOVE temporary.mpg "%name%"
REM GOTO CHECK

:CHECK
ECHO Ripping complete!
ECHO.
IF NOT EXIST "%name%" ECHO There may have been a problem ripping...
IF EXIST "%name%" ECHO %name% created, enjoy!

:END
SET name=
PAUSE

It's sloppy, but it got the job done. And it wouldn't be hard to convert to a bash script. :)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 07:41:27 pm by Newby »
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline rabbit

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 07:53:28 pm »
I've been considering Slackware because I've used it before and I like it, but I hate Ubuntu.  I've never tried Gentoo, and I'm not going to go out on a limb with it.  Maybe on a test box a little later?  I don't know.  Thanks.

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 07:56:55 pm »
I'd recommend Slackware and Gentoo as well, for I have had the least issues on them.  :P
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 08:04:14 pm »
I've been considering Slackware because I've used it before and I like it, but I hate Ubuntu.  I've never tried Gentoo, and I'm not going to go out on a limb with it.  Maybe on a test box a little later?  I don't know.  Thanks.

What's wrong with Ubuntu?  People call it the "noob" distro so it turns you off it? :P

Offline rabbit

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2008, 08:07:18 pm »

What's wrong with Ubuntu?  People call it the "noob" distro so it turns you off it? :P
Joe uses it.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2008, 08:08:53 pm »
Joe uses it.

That's a really shitty reason.

As for running Visual Studio on Linux, have a look at this post. The screenshot doesn't work any more, but the install is straightforward.

Offline Ergot

• 吴立峰 ^_^ !
  • x86
  • I steal bandwidth. p_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2008, 08:12:34 pm »
To save yourself the headache, look up if there are drivers for your wireless card and printer before installing. You'd be wasting time if they don't exist.
Who gives a damn? I fuck sheep all the time.
And yes, male both ends.  There are a couple lesbians that need a two-ended dildo...My router just refuses to wear a strap-on.
(05:55:03) JoE ThE oDD: omfg good job i got a boner thinkin bout them chinese bitches
(17:54:15) Sidoh: I love cosmetology

Offline rabbit

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2008, 08:21:24 pm »
Joe uses it.

That's a really shitty reason.

As for running Visual Studio on Linux, have a look at this post. The screenshot doesn't work any more, but the install is straightforward.
It was a joke!  The main reason I don't like it is because the last 3 times I tried to install it all it did was kernel panic  >:(

I might use Fedora 8, because I liked Fedora 5 when I used it.  And while I do love Slackware, I've always had some kind of annoying problem with it.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 08:32:23 pm by rabbit »

Offline chuck

• Canadian Biathlete
    • View Profile
    • Chucks Blog
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2008, 12:22:20 am »
I personally like Debian, its stable, well-maintained, and works very well for users who have at least basic command line experience.

Pretty much everything you mentioned you needed can be done on Debian except the XBox streaming and the VS2k5 (If I'm correct, I have not really looked around to see if either of these are possible) You could probably run vmware to do this when needed though.
Chucks Blog
JavaOp2 Plugins

Error, keyboard not connected. Press F1 to continue.

Offline nslay

• Giraffe meat, mmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2008, 11:11:46 am »
Right now I'm seriously considering moving back to Linux as my main OS, but I have a few requirements that I need some help on, and all of these I need:
1. to get on the internet (I've never tried wireless on Linux before)
Most wireless card chipsets are supported natively.  Those that aren't are supported by ndiswrapper and associated Windows drivers (they run natively too...ndiswrapper fools the Windows NDIS driver to run).
2. to run VS2k5 for my CS classes
Vi?
3. to print stuff (I've never been able to print stuff to my printer from Linux)
CUPS is stupid easy...its so easy its not even funny.  I've added obscure printers on the spot in minutes.  CUPS is owned by Apple and used on OS X.
4. to be able to access NTFS formatted drives, and I don't have enough space to backup and reformat the stuff on them!
Linux supports NTFS.  I wouldn't recommend writing to NTFS from other systems though as it is not documented.
5. to stream media to my 360
Not sure about this one...probably something out there.
6. to convert video formats AND be able to rip and encode video
This is supported by multitudes of software on Linux/BSD.

So, my basic question is: considering the above, what distro and programs should I/do I need to use?

Depends...are you a minimalist, or a "comes-with-everything" kinda guy?
The best minimalist Linux system in my opinion (biased) is Gentoo Linux...but be prepared to spend a lot of time building it up.
An adorable giant isopod!

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2008, 11:36:00 am »
Vi?

He means they're using the Microsoft platform for the class, not just the IDE.

Offline nslay

• Giraffe meat, mmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2008, 12:06:02 pm »
Vi?

He means they're using the Microsoft platform for the class, not just the IDE.

What kind of CS class develops on Microsoft platform?  At least, I think thats a bit odd...  Generally when I think CS in academia, I think Unix.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2008, 12:07:50 pm »
What kind of CS class develops on Microsoft platform?  At least, I think thats a bit odd...  Generally when I think CS in academia, I think Unix.

Dunno.  It seems weird to me too, but I don't see any significant problems with it -- so long as they teach them the other side of things.

Offline nslay

• Giraffe meat, mmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2008, 12:11:24 pm »
If you don't want to use Vi, you can use codeblocks.  Also shelling out $300, you can buy the crossplatform Slickedit which provides a VS interface.  IBM provides the latter to employees.

In my opinion, using an IDE is not a good way to learn how to program...the conveniences and code templates are designed for large projects and experienced developers.