• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
Re: Vegan
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2008, 08:22:12 am »
I love you Rule.  :-*

He's already said what we were in the past is pretty much irrelevant to the choice of your eating habits today.

Perhaps Towelie likes people who disagree with him? *shrug*
I wasn't arguing that it was relevant to today's eating habits. My intentions (even if what I said said otherwise) was to point out why I thought that statement was funny, in a way.

You think that the vast majority of people raising their risk of deadly diseases is funny? :-/

Offline Krazed

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2008, 09:35:25 am »

He's already said what we were in the past is pretty much irrelevant to the choice of your eating habits today.

I wasn't arguing that it was relevant to today's eating habits. My intentions (even if what I said said otherwise) was to point out why I thought that statement was funny, in a way.

You think that the vast majority of people raising their risk of deadly diseases is funny? :-/

Okay, now that is just a pity statement. EVERYTHING is dangerous, you can fall down the stairs and break your neck at any given time. Die from some unknown environmental factor. The way I see it, if you enjoy something, do it. No risk, No reward.
It is good to be good, but it is better to be lucky.

Offline Ender

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2008, 10:36:13 am »

Okay, now that is just a pity statement. EVERYTHING is dangerous, you can fall down the stairs and break your neck at any given time. Die from some unknown environmental factor. The way I see it, if you enjoy something, do it. No risk, No reward.

Free falling off Sears tower would be enjoyable... until you die.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2008, 10:48:49 am »
Go back and read the long post I wrote about risk.

My conclusion after a few paragraphs was, everything is a risk and has a reward, and life is about accepting certain risks and not others. And that's exactly what you're saying, I think. So we don't disagree.

What I disagree with is Towelie saying that increasing your risk of disease/death is funny.

Offline Krazed

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2008, 10:57:36 am »
Go back and read the long post I wrote about risk.

My conclusion after a few paragraphs was, everything is a risk and has a reward, and life is about accepting certain risks and not others. And that's exactly what you're saying, I think. So we don't disagree.

What I disagree with is Towelie saying that increasing your risk of disease/death is funny.

True. I just hate nowadays how you constantly hear "don't do this, eat this, etc. It causes this type of cancer, this disease, etc." I eat healthy everyday, maybe a bit too much peanut butter.  :P But I also eat meat because it tastes great, and is a good source of protein. For me the reward outweighs the risk.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2008, 11:05:43 am »
True. I just hate nowadays how you constantly hear "don't do this, eat this, etc. It causes this type of cancer, this disease, etc." I eat healthy everyday, maybe a bit too much peanut butter.  :P But I also eat meat because it tastes great, and is a good source of protein. For me the reward outweighs the risk.
That evaluation is fine, as long as you understand the risks involved, which I think is the most important part.

Everybody knows that smoking has been linked to cancer. Very few people know that eating meat has also been linked to cancer. People need to understand the risk they're taking.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2008, 11:06:54 am »

I agree with your implicit premise: it would be less convenient to gather necessary proteins and nutrients from other sources.  I think that on top of already being hugely picky keeps me from becoming vegetarian or vegan.

To be honest, there's very little types of meat I like.  Hamburgers are pretty good, but I only like 1/5 of them I have.  I don't like steak, ribs or any of the other famously delicious meats.  Fried chicken is probably the only thing I consistently like.  If it weren't for my suspicion that I'd hate most of the vegetarian/vegan foods too, I'd probably consider it with more seriousness.

That evaluation is fine, as long as you understand the risks involved, which I think is the most important part.

Everybody knows that smoking has been linked to cancer. Very few people know that eating meat has also been linked to cancer. People need to understand the risk they're taking.

Not that I doubt your claims, but do you have an article or two you could link?  Sorry if you already did.

Offline Krazed

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2008, 11:20:12 am »
Well, I never really looked into protein intake until I started seriously weight lifting, and using meat to add to my daily intake really helps. I take protein shakes everyday, along with some meat (tuna, chicken, steak, whatever.) and generally some PB&J.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2008, 11:28:01 am »
Not that I doubt your claims, but do you have an article or two you could link?  Sorry if you already did.
There were a bunch of links from the Wikipedia page for "Human" posted earlier. That's where I'd start.

Here's one about cancer:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22199057/

This is about weight gain:
http://www.nature.com/ijo/journal/v30/n9/abs/0803305a.html;jsessionid=D7EBA16AE121A30BFE9429F561030C22

These are about average lifespans:
http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/full/70/3/516S
http://www.llu.edu/news/today/july2601/llu.html

And apparently, this is a good source (although I can't verify):
Mattson, Mark P. (2002). Diet-Brain Connection: Impact on Memory, Mood, Aging and Disease. Kluwer Academic Publishers. ISBN 978-1402071294.

In response to Krazed, the average person consumes way more protein than they could use. You may be an exception if you're working out a lot, but on average we don't require a lot of protein to survive.

Offline Krazed

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2008, 11:38:10 am »
There were a bunch of links from the Wikipedia page for "Human" posted earlier. That's where I'd start.

Here's one about cancer:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22199057/

This is about weight gain:
http://www.nature.com/ijo/journal/v30/n9/abs/0803305a.html;jsessionid=D7EBA16AE121A30BFE9429F561030C22

These are about average lifespans:
http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/full/70/3/516S
http://www.llu.edu/news/today/july2601/llu.html

And apparently, this is a good source (although I can't verify):
Mattson, Mark P. (2002). Diet-Brain Connection: Impact on Memory, Mood, Aging and Disease. Kluwer Academic Publishers. ISBN 978-1402071294.

In response to Krazed, the average person consumes way more protein than they could use. You may be an exception if you're working out a lot, but on average we don't require a lot of protein to survive.

To survive, no, we don't. But for a serious body building routine, the average person no longer counts. I take close to 80g of protein in the forum of protein shakes a day, along with whatever I have from food.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2008, 11:41:56 am »
To survive, no, we don't. But for a serious body building routine, the average person no longer counts. I take close to 80g of protein in the forum of protein shakes a day, along with whatever I have from food.
We still agree, that's exactly what I said. :)

But you still don't need meat for that, there are world-class athletes that are vegan. They just have to plan their diet more carefully. I'm not telling you to change what you do, though, people asked me questions and I answered. I'm not trying to change anybody's minds.

Offline Towelie

• pwnstar
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2008, 04:55:43 pm »

You overgeneralized my statement.

Offline Hitmen

• B&
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2008, 06:51:17 pm »
I think it is pretty funny.

And I'm pretty sure everyone gets cancer at some point in their life these days, so really, what's the problem? :)
(22:15:39) Newby: it hurts to swallow

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2008, 06:53:12 pm »
I'm pretty confident Towelie has a point. Breathing the air in Winterpeg can't be good for you.
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2008, 07:55:01 pm »
I think it is pretty funny.

And I'm pretty sure everyone gets cancer at some point in their life these days, so really, what's the problem? :)

Yes, most people get cancer. Also, most people eat meat.

Coincidence?

... probably.