Author Topic: Vegan  (Read 31049 times)

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
Re: Vegan
« Reply #90 on: February 13, 2008, 10:20:52 pm »
I personally don't but others do and you can't say they're wrong because it's subjective.

I'd hope everyone here recognizes it.  That doesn't mean you can't say they're immoral, though.

I personally don't think that argument is cogent, even if you do discount the obvious moral dilemmas it brings up.

Offline Ender

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 13, 2008, 10:46:48 pm »
Morals are subjective.

How is this relevant?

The point everyone has been ANTAGONIZING over is that morals are part of cost-benefit analysis for those who are not totally devoid of morals.

There's nothing objective about cost-benefit analysis. It decides what's best for you. It's inherently subjective, since different people give different weight to certain costs.

By the way, don't dodge this and go into a side argument about the subjectivity/objectivity of cost-benefit analysis. As I said, it's completely IRRELEVANT. I only brought it up to clear up your misconceptions.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 10:49:37 pm by Ender »

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 13, 2008, 10:50:29 pm »
cost/benefit isnt very useful if it's based on something subjective

Offline Ender

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 13, 2008, 10:53:16 pm »
It's useful for you.

And if you make assumptions, you can call it objective and use it for other people.

By the way, did you read this?

By the way, don't dodge this and go into a side argument about the subjectivity/objectivity of cost-benefit analysis. As I said, it's completely IRRELEVANT. I only brought it up to clear up your misconceptions.

You just brought it up again. I give up on you.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 10:54:54 pm by Ender »

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #94 on: February 13, 2008, 10:54:49 pm »
It's useful for you.
Exactly, it's a personal thing.

Like somebody else said, the value of money is subjective, too. I personally value health and happiness far more than money

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #95 on: February 13, 2008, 11:07:38 pm »
I personally value health and happiness far more than money

Greetings, friend. Do you wish to look as happy as me? Well, you've got the power inside you right now. So use it. And send $1 to Happy Dude, 742 Evergreen Terrace, Springfield. Don't delay; eternal happiness is just $1 away!
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #96 on: February 13, 2008, 11:13:57 pm »

Man, you're missing what we're saying.

Every decision you make in your life is based on weighing costs and benefits.  It doesn't matter if you include things that are subjective in your decisions.  It's important to point out opinionated statements in arguments that try to make general conclusions, but that's not what's happening here.  iago is going through the costs and benefits that he's seen in the vegan lifestyle.  He's not trying to convince anyone that his arguments are generally true or that his conclusions should be accepted by everyone.

Aside from that, an argument can still include premises lightly subjective, make a general conclusion and be legitimately be called a cogent argument.  Classifying something as subjective doesn't automatically mean that it isn't acceptable to most people.  For example, most people would agree that murder is bad.  This is obviously a lightly subjective claim, but that doesn't mean it can't be used in an argument.

I also completely agree with what Ender said.  You seem to consistently dodge what we're saying.

Offline Ender

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 13, 2008, 11:15:13 pm »
Yeah, I so called that he would do that. :P

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 13, 2008, 11:37:35 pm »

Every decision you make in your life is based on weighing costs and benefits.  It doesn't matter if you include things that are subjective in your decisions.  It's important to point out opinionated statements in arguments that try to make general conclusions, but that's not what's happening here.  iago is going through the costs and benefits that he's seen in the vegan lifestyle.  He's not trying to convince anyone that his arguments are generally true or that his conclusions should be accepted by everyone.

Aside from that, an argument can still include premises lightly subjective, make a general conclusion and be legitimately be called a cogent argument.  Classifying something as subjective doesn't automatically mean that it isn't acceptable to most people.  For example, most people would agree that murder is bad.  This is obviously a lightly subjective claim, but that doesn't mean it can't be used in an argument.

I also completely agree with what Ender said.  You seem to consistently dodge what we're saying.

Meat isn't good for you.
That doesn't seem like him saying "I'm a vegan, yay" it sounds more like "I'm a vegan and you guys are gonna die cause you eat tainted meat"

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #99 on: February 13, 2008, 11:52:25 pm »

Meat isn't good for you.
That doesn't seem like him saying "I'm a vegan, yay" it sounds more like "I'm a vegan and you guys are gonna die cause you eat tainted meat"

They just have to plan their diet more carefully. I'm not telling you to change what you do, though, people asked me questions and I answered. I'm not trying to change anybody's minds.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #100 on: February 14, 2008, 08:29:56 am »
No, I said that people should be aware that there is a risk involved with eating meat, and that they be aware of it when they make the choice to eat it.

I personally evaluated that that risk, combined with my feelings about animals (yes, I include others besides my self in my cost-benefit analyses), isn't sufficient for me to continue eating meat/dairy/eggs.

Offline Krazed

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 14, 2008, 08:38:37 am »
No, I said that people should be aware that there is a risk involved with eating meat, and that they be aware of it when they make the choice to eat it.

I personally evaluated that that risk, combined with my feelings about animals (yes, I include others besides my self in my cost-benefit analyses), isn't sufficient for me to continue eating meat/dairy/eggs.

;)
It is good to be good, but it is better to be lucky.

Offline topaz~

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 14, 2008, 06:03:49 pm »
Hello everyone! I just wanted to share with all of you some exciting things I learned this week. Research has definitively proven that there are health risks involved with eating all types of foods. The only conclusion that can be made is that we must stop eating! Otherwise, we might be at risk of DYING!

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #103 on: February 14, 2008, 06:20:50 pm »
Hello everyone! I just wanted to share with all of you some exciting things I learned this week. Research has definitively proven that there are health risks involved with eating all types of foods. The only conclusion that can be made is that we must stop eating! Otherwise, we might be at risk of DYING!

Even crazed already tried to make that argument.  It doesn't make sense for obvious reasons.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 14, 2008, 07:45:09 pm »

Even crazed already tried to make that argument.  It doesn't make sense for obvious reasons.

Yes it does, but whatever.

If igimo and I are agreeing you KNOW it has to be valid ;D!