Author Topic: Do you know how malloc works?  (Read 3186 times)

Offline Camel

• View Profile
    • BNU Bot
Do you know how malloc works?
« on: March 19, 2008, 02:05:51 pm »
I was reading an article about C strings, and I found an excellent rag on people who rag about GC'd systems.

Do you know how malloc works? The nature of malloc is that it has a long linked list of available blocks of memory called the free chain. When you call malloc, it walks the linked list looking for a block of memory that is big enough for your request. Then it cuts that block into two blocks -- one the size you asked for, the other with the extra bytes, and gives you the block you asked for, and puts the leftover block (if any) back into the linked list. When you call free, it adds the block you freed onto the free chain. Eventually, the free chain gets chopped up into little pieces and you ask for a big piece and there are no big pieces available the size you want. So malloc calls a timeout and starts rummaging around the free chain, sorting things out, and merging adjacent small free blocks into larger blocks. This takes 3 1/2 days. The end result of all this mess is that the performance characteristic of malloc is that it's never very fast (it always walks the free chain), and sometimes, unpredictably, it's shockingly slow while it cleans up. (This is, incidentally, the same performance characteristic of garbage collected systems, surprise surprise, so all the claims people make about how garbage collection imposes a performance penalty are not entirely true, since typical malloc implementations had the same kind of performance penalty, albeit milder.)
http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/fog0000000319.html

While you're at it, a good read: http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/past-present-future-file-systems.ars

<Camel> i said what what
<Blaze> in the butt
<Camel> you want to do it in my butt?
<Blaze> in my butt
<Camel> let's do it in the butt
<Blaze> Okay!

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
Re: Do you know how malloc works?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 05:08:30 pm »
We had to implement that once, with garbage collection. It was a great learning experience!