Author Topic: Investing...  (Read 1997 times)

Offline while1

• x86
    • View Profile
Investing...
« on: May 06, 2008, 05:36:20 pm »
So my dad said that I should think about cashing in my Savings Bonds that I have been getting since I was adopted, and I think that now is the time in my life I should start thinking about investing towards my future both short term and long term since I obviously can't rely on Social Security to help out.

Personally I'm leaning more towards investing via Mutual Funds since I want something that's low maintenance.

Anyways, I'm not posting here to ask about how or what I should do since Google is a better resource for that- rather I'd like to get an idea of what kinds of investing people here have done/started?

« Last Edit: May 06, 2008, 05:38:08 pm by Michael »
I tend to edit my topics and replies frequently.

http://www.operationsmile.org

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
Re: Investing...
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2008, 05:42:39 pm »
I have CDs (Certificates of Deposit).  The interest rate on a CD is locked in for a specific time (90 days, 180 days, 1yr, 2yr, ... 5yr).  Right now, I bet the rate is low since the Fed keep cutting rates.

I have a mutual fund with State Farm that is "moderately" risked.  Bad part with mutual funds, even moderately risked ones, is that they can still go down.  When I used to watch mine frequently (I suggest against this) I saw it drop $4,000 one day and then something like $2,000 in the few days following.

Depending upon the amount, you might want to get a financial advisor.

I'd like to get into the market, but I don't have the time to read crap tons of stock news daily and then react ASAP.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2008, 07:34:50 pm »
From what I understand, the market is falling or preparing to fall right now. I'd suggest waiting till things go low before investing.

Of course, I'm no analyst, I could be completely wrong. :)

trust

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2008, 11:42:00 pm »
From what I understand, the market is falling or preparing to fall right now. I'd suggest waiting till things go low before investing.

Of course, I'm no analyst, I could be completely wrong. :)

you're right.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2008, 01:27:52 am »
I would disagree.  I think that the worst has come.  Sure it doesn't look awesome, but I don't think that we're going to have any more huge falls.

Offline Towelie

• pwnstar
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2008, 01:34:31 am »
I would disagree.  I think that the worst has come.  Sure it doesn't look awesome, but I don't think that we're going to have any more huge falls.
I think we might dip down a bit more, but now is a great time to invest. Even if we drop off a shit load after this, it will still rise higher than it is now eventually, since we are already pretty damn low.

trust

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2008, 08:28:24 pm »
if you can afford it, oil is going to continue to rise. You really missed the train on making the big bucks, but money can still be made. They're saying a 13 cents average increase per gallon next month alone.

Offline while1

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2008, 12:36:38 am »
All in all I'm not looking make a quick big bucks, but I want to get a decent return on some money in a 4-6 year time span with minimal maintenance on my part.  Once I finish grad school I might find that I need to buy a car, house, etc. or just want to have some more money to invest with to put in my 401k, roth IRA, whatever when I enter the real world (get a job).  Who knows, I might even find a lady I like and likes me and need to fork up some wedding monies... yeah, right in my dreams. 

I'd have to say I agree with Towelie and Crazed- whether or not I invest now or wait a bit longer to see if the market gets any lower could ultimately work out in my favor or back fire.  The market is always going to have its ups and downs, and while waiting until it reaches its all time low to invest may decrease the amount of my losses and thus increase my returns, is it worth all the time and effort when I'm not Wall Street guru nor have the time or interest in learning all that I'd need to?  It could very well be that I wait longer and I end up making less of a return than if I did it now.  Who knows, some miracle on Wall Street could happen in a few weeks from now.  Either way I'm still going to make a return because at this point we're pretty low as it is.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2008, 12:48:20 am by Michael »
I tend to edit my topics and replies frequently.

http://www.operationsmile.org