Author Topic: Waking up before an alarm clock  (Read 12120 times)

trust

Waking up before an alarm clock
« on: May 17, 2008, 08:11:21 pm »
what do yall think about this?

Have you ever woken up right before your alarm clock goes off?
Einstien tells us that when an observer increases its speed time slows for the observer. If the observer goes the speed of light time stops. Therefore, it can be reasonably concluded that if an object were to go faster than the speed of light it would start moving backwards through time.
Now what if when your alarm clock goes off it startles your brain awake, and your brain fires off the message to wake up at a speed faster than the speed of light? That would mean that that signal goes back in time and you wake up right before the alarm clock goes off.

it blows my mind but i can see where he's going with that.

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
Re: Waking up before an alarm clock
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2008, 08:19:02 pm »
Haha, that's an interesting theory.  :)
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2008, 08:28:01 pm »
I don't think that makes any sense.

I think a better theory is that your body gets used to waking up at a certain time, and starts to take care of it. My proof is that I often wake up at the same time on weekends, too, when my alarm isn't even set.

trust

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2008, 08:31:11 pm »
Maybe it's a coincidence.

What he's saying, from what I gathered, is that your brain hears the alarm but notifies us so quickly that we go back in time (it notifies us faster than the speed of light) and wake up before the alarm even goes off.

Just for context though, I got that off a site where people post their theories while stoned so..

Offline Ergot

• 吴立峰 ^_^ !
  • x86
  • I steal bandwidth. p_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2008, 08:41:14 pm »
I'm going with iago on this one, probably due to behavioral conditioning, but if it was true for like a different time than the person normally awakes yea, I guess...
Who gives a damn? I fuck sheep all the time.
And yes, male both ends.  There are a couple lesbians that need a two-ended dildo...My router just refuses to wear a strap-on.
(05:55:03) JoE ThE oDD: omfg good job i got a boner thinkin bout them chinese bitches
(17:54:15) Sidoh: I love cosmetology

Offline Sidoh

• MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2008, 08:42:28 pm »
Lol, yeah, in terms of physics, it's nonsense.  It's interesting because it's funny, though. :)

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2008, 08:48:10 pm »

What he's saying, from what I gathered, is that your brain hears the alarm but notifies us so quickly that we go back in time (it notifies us faster than the speed of light) and wake up before the alarm even goes off.

Just for context though, I got that off a site where people post their theories while stoned so..
Well, sound (like an alarm) travels at the speed of sound. That's slower than the speed of light. So I don't see how that can make sense. :)

It definitely sounds like a stoned theory. Reminds me of, "Whoa my hands are HUGE, and they can touch anything except themselves! Oh wait, they can do that too"

trust

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2008, 08:54:54 pm »

Well, sound (like an alarm) travels at the speed of sound. That's slower than the speed of light. So I don't see how that can make sense. :)

It definitely sounds like a stoned theory. Reminds me of, "Whoa my hands are HUGE, and they can touch anything except themselves! Oh wait, they can do that too"

light is seconds faster than sound, so it might still work.

and your hand can't touch the back of it self, which sucks.

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2008, 08:58:09 pm »
Neural messages are transmitted about 200 times slower than an electrical message, which is a few hundred times slower than sound, which in turn is a few hundred times slower than light.  There is no possible way for a neural message to travel faster than the speed of light.

Offline Sidoh

• MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2008, 08:59:21 pm »

What they're saying is when you hear the alarm, neural pathways are traversed faster than the speed of light, c and thus, our 'consciousness' travels back in time.   This is why I said it's nonsense; it's actually a lot slower than c and it's really silly to believe something as mundane as a series of neurons can cause something to travel faster than c. :)

But yeah, those two totally seem like they use the same amount of critical thinking: very little.  They both have lots of "creative" thinking, but not very critical.

light is seconds faster than sound, so it might still work.

and your hand can't touch the back of it self, which sucks.

lol.  The speed of light is nearly 900,000 times faster than the speed of sound in dry air at 20 degrees C.

I suspect you're trolling, but this is slightly interesting conversation to me, so I decided to indulge you. :)

trust

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2008, 09:03:47 pm »
I'm not trolling. I know nothing about this sort of stuff and the theory interested me.

Offline Sidoh

• MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2008, 09:06:56 pm »
I'm not trolling. I know nothing about this sort of stuff and the theory interested me.

Ah.  Well, I'm pretty sure there's a fair amount of research on this issue already.  It seems that I've encountered the subject a few times, but I can't recall exactly what their conclusions were.  However, I think what iago suggested initially basically sums it up.  You tend to wake up when you're used to waking up.

Offline rabbit

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2008, 09:40:47 pm »
It's tuning the internal chemical clock to do things at certain times, nothing more.

Offline Sidoh

• MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2008, 10:28:40 pm »
It's tuning the internal chemical clock to do things at certain times, nothing more.

Right, but, as I did, you used a bunch of general, non-technical, non-descriptive language.  I was speaking of the papers because I'm sure they describe the whole ordeal in much more detail.

Offline rabbit

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2008, 11:32:42 am »
Okay, here's how it works.  Neural messages are chemical reactions.  Unless your body can accelerate molecules to FTL speeds, it ain't gonna happen.  Is that technical enough?