Author Topic: Shaw blacklisted IP's.  (Read 2706 times)

Offline Killer360

• View Profile
Shaw blacklisted IP's.
« on: July 06, 2008, 02:06:40 pm »
For some reason, SORBS blacklisted a whole range of Shaw's IP's -- including iago's and mine. I'm not sure what's going on...

iago -- can you find out what the hell is going on?  ???

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
Re: Shaw blacklisted IP's.
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 02:10:04 pm »
Home users are usually blocked... since they're a big source of spam. People get infected and send mass amounts of spam.

Cox took the fight to their level and filtered outgoing port 25... but as far as I know any Cox IP I get is blacklisted on spam logs.

Is this what this is about?
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2008, 02:10:39 pm »
Shaw sucks.  :)
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline Killer360

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2008, 02:11:48 pm »
Home users are usually blocked... since they're a big source of spam. People get infected and send mass amounts of spam.

Cox took the fight to their level and filtered outgoing port 25... but as far as I know any Cox IP I get is blacklisted on spam logs.

Is this what this is about?
It's definitely related to spam, but I really don't understand why they would blacklist all of Shaw's IP's...

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2008, 05:36:08 pm »
Home users generally have no business sending email directly, so it's not a big deal.

Offline warz

• View Profile
    • chyea.org
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2008, 12:38:30 am »
verizon fios ftw
http://www.chyea.org/ - web based markup debugger

Offline Skywing

• View Profile
    • Nynaeve
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2008, 10:39:52 am »
The image shows why - it's listed as ISP end-user space that shouldn't be sending mail (as iago said).  Most DNSBLs forbid mail from these addresses.  (Fios is extremely unlikely to fare better once the address ranges used for end users are known.)

Though, in general, I tend to take a dim view of SORBS's policies:

Delisting. If the size of the listing is anything more than a single IP address, delisting can only take place when the spammer is no longer using the address space, in which case the size of the listing will be reduced down to the originally spamming IP addresses free of charge. The affected IPs (the ones used to send the spam) will only be delisted when a donation us made to an acceptable charity or good cause, or when sufficient time has passed, or when SORBS determines that the netblock has been returned to the RIR; see the Spam Database FAQ for details. The charities and good causes SORBS approves will not have any connection with any SORBS administrator either past or present.

That sort of "arrangement" is often known by another name, and not a particularly good one.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 10:44:01 am by Skywing »